Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountains Way Route

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Just noticed. Looks like they have the route on site now:

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Just noticed. Looks like they have the route on site now:

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/

Why the hell would they distribute it as an image embedded in a PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Donny5 wrote: »
    Why the hell would they distribute it as an image embedded in a PDF?
    Don't know but they're easy to extract. I used PDF-Viewer's export function to convert them to PNG's. If I have time I may stitch them together, calibrate them for Ozi and make a KMZ out of them of anyone's interested? The problem will be generating the calibration points as there's no grid lines on them but I'll probably be able to spot sufficient number of points with known coords to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I wonder why they have the walker coming down off the three rock near Barnacullia, when they could put the walker down at Newtown? That would save 2km of tarmac walking on a road that can be busy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

dogmatix wrote: »
    I wonder why they have the walker coming down off the three rock near Barnacullia, when they could put the walker down at Newtown? That would save 2km of tarmac walking on a road that can be busy at times.

Do you mean via the section of forestry near the pitch 'n' putt course where the wedge tomb is? I wondered about that myself: it is private forestry but the landowner doesn't seem to object to walkers in my experience. It is very mature forest though: perhaps it's due for the chop soon?

I wonder what the story at Piperstown Gap was that prevented them linking Featherbed Forest into the Hell Fire Wood? The map board at the junction between Cruagh and Massy's clearly shows the Way crossing the Gap into Featherbed Forest which would suggest that plan was well advanced. Objections from landowner or lack of funds to build a path?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Its a shame the amount of road walking on the Shankil to 3 Rock stretch. If the roads were quiet then fine but some of these stretches are busy and cars fly around some of those bends...:(

Its a shame the amount of road walking on the Shankil to 3 Rock stretch. If the roads were quiet then fine but some of these stretches are busy and cars fly around some of those bends...:(

Aye. I stand by my earlier assertion that most people will walk Three Rock to Tallaght. The Shankill to Scalp bit will probably make for an entertaining afternoon stroll on occasion though.

Incidentally, I meant to ask in my earlier post: is the Fort Bridge to Tallaght section now open? Has the Tallaght trailhead been erected? Does anyone know?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think they would have been better not opening that section of the 'way' at all. Having a large section of it on narrow busy roads is crazy, I wouldn't advise anyone to walk the roads from kilternan to johnny foxes and on to trail. You'll find yourself having to flatten in against the bushes/walls a fair bit as cars zoom past, especially if cars pass each other near you. Tourist are unlikely to be expecting that on a waymarked route..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Its an accident waiting to happen I'm afraid along some of those sections of road. I only drove some of them a few weeks ago and I didn't see any traffic calming measures which would be necessary if you add walkers to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Yes. Or if they do descend to Barnaculla, why not use the paths/lanes going SSE from Taylor's Folley to cut out the Glencullen "L" (I think this was mentioned before) - anyone know if those paths are private?

• Advertisement

Judge wrote: »
    Aye. I stand by my earlier assertion that most people will walk Three Rock to Tallaght. The Shankill to Scalp bit will probably make for an entertaining afternoon stroll on occasion though.

Incidentally, I meant to ask in my earlier post: is the Fort Bridge to Tallaght section now open? Has the Tallaght trailhead been erected? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure, but I remember seeing something on sdcc site for National Trails Day involving Kiltipper Park. Cant find it on sdcc site but did find this:

http://www.nationaltrailsday.ie/events/dublin/event-details/article/-38d944e49e/

Do you mean via the section of forestry near the pitch 'n' putt course where the wedge tomb is? I wondered about that myself: it is private forestry but the landowner doesn't seem to object to walkers in my experience. It is very mature forest though: perhaps it's due for the chop soon?

Aye – that’s the one. I was not aware it was a private forest – that might explain why they did not route that way so. It seems that if there is the slightest possibility of hassle over access they simply route it onto tarmac roads. It would be ideal, especially if they could get access to the Newtown woods, as the road through those woods is nearly opposite the exit off the three rock.

It’s a nice way down into Glencullen, although I have nearly been brained by wayward golf balls on a few occasions.
    Yes. Or if they do descend to Barnaculla, why not use the paths/lanes going SSE from Taylor's Folley to cut out the Glencullen "L" (I think this was mentioned before) - anyone know if those paths are private?

I think they are all private access unfortunately .
    copacetic wrote: »
    I think they would have been better not opening that section of the 'way' at all. Having a large section of it on narrow busy roads is crazy, I wouldn't advise anyone to walk the roads from kilternan to johnny foxes and on to trail. You'll find yourself having to flatten in against the bushes/walls a fair bit as cars zoom past, especially if cars pass each other near you. Tourist are unlikely to be expecting that on a waymarked route.

True – the road from Barnacullia to Glencullen is okay but can be busy and the cars a bit fast. But the stretch from glencullen to Kilternan is very unpleasant with a few narrow and blind sharp bends. And a lot of idiots in expensive fast cars.

If only they could apply the concept of “compulsory purchase orders” to waymarked trails in the same way they do for roads and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

If only they could apply the concept of “compulsory purchase orders” to waymarked trails in the same way they do for roads and motorways.

FACT!!

I noticed they haven't included the Dublin Mountaineer stops in their maps.

Would make sense to add them even though the bus is seasonal.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    I noticed they haven't included the Dublin Mountaineer stops in their maps.

Would make sense to add them even though the bus is seasonal.

The route changed in 2010 compared with 2009 though so I suppose they want flexibility in this regard. This also assumes there will be a Mountaineer running next year: the website says they "hope" to be running it again next year. Last year they were much more definite it would run again in 2010. The DMP were only guaranteed funding for 2008 to 2010; it may be their budget will be much more restricted from 2011 given the national finances are banjaxed.

I notice the DMW page has been updated with links to the maps and estimated timings of the walk: here

There will also be a published EastWest map, cost €9. A link is provided to the EastWest website but no mention of the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, "they" could if "the people" demanded it. Look what the Ramblers in UK have achieved since the 1950's, whereas we have less public access since then.
    According to some maps I viewed from the DLRCC, there is supposed to be a right of way through Ballybetagh wood that puts the walker just a short
    distance from the scalp. If you are coming from glencullen you hook a right at a T-junction instead of heading left down towards Kilternan. This takes you up a narrow (and quiet) country road.

http://www.kilternan.info/History/fromlibrary.asp
    There is an old and delightful right of way from Ballybetagh House, through Ballybetagh Wood and along the edge of two fields to where
    it joins the main road at the bottom of the Novice’s Hill.

See also page four of the following -
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/planning/DevPlan2010_2016/Draft/Appendices/AppendixG.pdf

I've not yet tried this route so I can't say what it is like or anything.
    I walked it regularly in early1990's; there is an old granite stile (nice testament to the local stonemason's skill) near where it emerges from the forest to skirt along the edge of the golf course. It was commonly used by Glencullen locals wanting to get the bus on the Kilternan road. I see it has been "edited" off the DMW route map, but it is still on the original eastwest mapping "Dublin Mt's." map. Probably now disputed because one or two Celtic Tiger houses have sprung up in the Ballybetagh Woods. You could still walk it discreetly, but much easier to find going from west to east downhill.

BTW any forestry shown transparent on those DMW maps are privately owned. Darker green is Coillte.
    I wonder what the story at Piperstown Gap was that prevented them linking Featherbed Forest into the Hell Fire Wood? The map board at the junction between Cruagh and Massy's clearly shows the Way crossing the Gap into Featherbed Forest which would suggest that plan was well advanced. Objections from landowner or lack of funds to build a path?
    Another wasted opportunity and convoluted detour here. Piperstown Gap is used as a route for driving cattle and sheep, and has been since ancient times. In some countries this would make it a right of way. But the logic here seems to be that it is too useful to let walkers on; they should stay on the mountain tops where they won't be in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

recedite wrote: »
    Well, "they" could if "the people" demanded it. Look what the Ramblers in UK have achieved since the 1950's, whereas we have less public access since then.
    Maybe we need to organize something like this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout

recedite wrote: »
    Probably now disputed because one or two Celtic Tiger houses have sprung up in the Ballybetagh Woods.

True - this is currently in dispute between the co.council and the local landowner. Case currently on hold I believe. I don't hold out much hope of a positive result given previous precidents regarding access and rights of way.

All in all, the stretch from the three rock to the scalp is very disappointing and in some places dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd like to add my own, current, impressions of this entire route, having walked most of it for the last few weeks Shankill-Tallaght.

1. From the pub in shankill you are immediately lost ( there is no marker that should take you out of the pub car park that you are directed to ) but a few minutes of casting around, gettting frustrated in the surrounding lanes sets you right.

From there on its road till Rathmichael, a nice path through forest, then up into Carrickgollogan, more lovely forest then up Barnaslingan. Now the real negatives start

Very hard to find the waypoints after the viewpoint on top of the scalp. If it was nighttime you'd miss them, not everyone knows the forest.

Then its down to the road for walking along a frankly boring pavement, until Kilternan X. Now you take your life in your hands with the walk up to Glencullen as the path vanishes and you are left walking along a narrow road with several blind corners and very high speed traffic.

DO NOT BRING CHILDREN ON THIS SECTION it's a tragedy waiting to happen. ( there must be a better answer than this route )

so its on to jonny foxes hang a right then road walking (bore) brings you up the back of three rock on up behind the masts to Fairy Castle, lovely views as always.

then down to join the wicklow way ( bit confusing as both use the same markings but its only for a mile or so ) , then on over Tibradden, marvellous walking.

Now down into the valley to the carpark, cross the road, and then high up into Cruagh, all well still, then down off Cruagh and just below Kilakee trouble strikes. the waymarks take you off down to the Hellfire Club and Masseys but you don't want that ...

so bend back up over the carpark at Kilakee ( no waypoints now which is poo ), back up to the Kilakee forest. There is felling going on here, and a windblown notice saying "the DMW trail is rerouted back around a mile south", so its more road walking.

So we hoped to pick it up where it came out of the forest ( Kilakee/Piperstown) but there are no markings at all, so rather than get caught faffing around trying to find the Glenasmole entry ( no confidence left in the waymarks now ) we skipped it and just followed the road down to Bohernabreena and thence to the northern carpark of the reservoirs - where the path magically reappears.

summary : nice walk, interspersed with some really boring road walks. Kilternan to Foxes section should be immediately removed, as it will lead to a needless accident

Poor signposting led to much less enjoyment as well.

My 0.02c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There are serious deficiencies as regards safety, never mind quality of experience in parts of the route as it stands. You must realise though, that there are powerful interests at play here - there has been significant opposition to the route. The concept has been knocked about since the early 1990's if not before. The fact that the route opened, is significant in it's own way and hopefully can be built upon and improved as a result of public pressure.....

So write to your newly elected politicians - make it clear that you value public access to the countryside, that you already pay for it in many ways through your taxes, that you will not tolerate the sale of Coillte (who currently provide the better parts of the DMW) to private speculators and that you insist on private landowners allowing a reasonable level of access to the countryside for the greater public good.

Then things will change and there would be no need for the situation you aptly describe above.

As far as I know, only the Labour Party has some policy on public access to the countryside but I wouldn't hold out too much hope of any substantial change as FG is historically wedded the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Walked from Marlay Park to Johnny Foxes and back over the WW and part of the DMW yesterday.

Can't vouch for the roads from the Scalp to Johnny Foxes, and from the reviews above these seem to be the most dangerous, but I thought the road from Johnny Foxes on was in itself very dangerous. Someone is going to be killed on these roads, I've no doubt. I also missed the marker for the turn off and ended up walking the roads all the way to Lamb Doyles and not going back up to the hills at all :(. I'm not the most observant person on earth but I fear this waymark may have been removed / vandalised.

In general if walking the DMW in this direction, i.e. Shankill to Tallaght, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to continue on straight instead of taking the right at Johnny Foxes. The road is wider and safer to walk on there and you can either catch the Wicklow Way at the end of that road or cut in through the fields on your right and back up to the Fairy Castle. The latter route is almost certainly private land (there were sheep in the fields) but there was a well worn track there and someone had even put down wood over the wetter parts. It leads to the point where the DMW comes out of the forest and goes up to Fairy Castle, so you can either head straight up to the Fairy Castle cairn or go through the forest and out to three rock and loop back to the cairn.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone had more recent info on the trail. Have there been any updates at all? Myself and a few mates walk up around Gleann na Smól reservoirs quite a bit and were thinking of heading on a bit further along the DMW, maybe up to Three Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There are a couple of changes at various stages for the DMW. You can look up the ones I'm aware of on http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/dublin-mountains - click on the map images there for details.
    Small change at the Featherbeds and a large proposed change from Glencullen to Fairy Castle due for early 2012 - latter will be welcome as move to make the route safer and more pleasant.

BarryD wrote: »
    a large proposed change from Glencullen to Fairy Castle due for early 2012 - latter will be welcome as move to make the route safer and more pleasant.
    Oh, that's fantastic news! An excellent update to the route, which as well as taking more of the trail off road also means it will be easy to incorporate a quick visit to the fabulous wedge tomb at Ballyedmonduff. Major thumbs up to the DMP for negotiating this with the landowners.:)

Hopefully this augurs well for sorting out the Kilternan to Glencullen stretch.

BarryD wrote: »
    There are a couple of changes at various stages for the DMW. You can look up the ones I'm aware of on http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/dublin-mountains - click on the map images there for details.
    Small change at the Featherbeds and a large proposed change from Glencullen to Fairy Castle due for early 2012 - latter will be welcome as move to make the route safer and more pleasant.
    :)
    + Good work with putting route updates on the EastWest website - really good resource

Oh, that's fantastic news! An excellent update to the route, which as well as taking more of the trail off road also means it will be easy to incorporate a quick visit to the fabulous wedge tomb at Ballyedmonduff. Major thumbs up to the DMP for negotiating this with the landowners.:)

Hopefully this augurs well for sorting out the Kilternan to Glencullen stretch.
    Looking at Megalithomania etc, it seems people were already using the Ballyedmonduff track to visit the tomb. I wonder did they ever get hassle, or was there always liberal access?

:)
    + Good work with putting route updates on the EastWest website - really good resource
    +1 Great customer service.
    Looking at Megalithomania etc, it seems people were already using the Ballyedmonduff track to visit the tomb. I wonder did they ever get hassle, or was there always liberal access?
    I've visited that site quite a bit, photographing the wedge tomb and the herd of deer that inhabits the forest, and never encountered any hassle. It seems to get used quite a lot by pony trekkers. A year or two back, I got talking to a local whose cottage backs onto the area who walks around the Two Rock area daily and she gave me the impression they were very relaxed about access. I think they cull the deer from time to time though; I was down there once and heard shooting so I got out as quick as I could before I got an arse full of buckshot!

Flipping through the latest edition of Irish Mountain Log in the newsagents today, one of the news articles mentioned that DMP are also working with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council on a reroute of the DMW around The Scalp. No details (presumably subject to negotiations) but hopefully a route around the dangerous stretch of road can be found.

I've used that route a few times when heading down towards Glencullen - helps avoid excessive tarmac walking. And the wedge tomb is worth a detour to view.. The only danger is where the trail goes by the golf course as I got brained by a wayward golf ball back in 2009 - those small balls are surprisingly painfull.

... I got brained by a wayward golf ball back in 2009 - those small balls are surprisingly painfull.
    :eek:
    Full helmet and visor so... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just a follow up on this thread. I was cycling along the upper reservoir at Bohernabreena today and went past Castlekelly bridge and noticed a DMW marker. I thought this was odd as it used to go through the graveyard opposite the reservoir. I cycled on and outside the road entrance to St. Anns Graveyard there is a notice saying this is no longer on the DMW route and people must walk to the end of the reservoir and go left and follow the road.

Anyone know why this is?
    I only walked along the route once for a bit but I wonder does it have anything to do with the fact the graveyard is still in use and perhaps locals weren't happy with walkers using it as a shortcut.

Advertisement