Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 3 (Cinderella)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'd be a great challenge, I'm definitely up for it.

My stories (for the competitions) are pretty much written by the middle of the month, and then I have around 10 days to tweak, edit and adjust. Putting something up that is raw with minimal editing would be a new experience for me.

Count me in (assuming the date/time are right).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Great! How does 3am Saturday morning suit people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Antilles wrote: »
    Great! How does 3am Saturday morning suit people?

Suits me better than any other time to be honest... I work nights and sleep days, so thats an ideal time for me... Can't see many going for it though...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm usually awake at that hour, so it's fine for me.

I'm game. :D

(I fear Señor Antilles was joking though!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I love the 1 hour write-off idea. I'd be free most days, so I'm 90% sure I'll be available.

We have a new leader!

4-way tie at the moment :) Those percentages in the poll make no sense though.

4 people on 6 points (out of a total of 18 voters). 6 into 18 is 3, or 33.3%.
    Just as well you're Creative Writing mod, not Maths mod.

/ducks :p

No comments on some recent votes though... are you going to weed those out from the final count?

Mr E wrote: »
    4 people on 6 points (out of a total of 18 voters). 6 into 18 is 3, or 33.3%.
    Just as well you're Creative Writing mod, not Maths mod.

/ducks :p

You're doing that waiter with the 3 pounds change trick! The total percentages add up to 211 - 4 stories have a third of the votes each.
    I suppose it's supposed to mean 1/3 of all voters chose went for this?

No comments on some recent votes though... are you going to weed those out from the final count?

I'll hunt them down and try get them to comment before the week is up.

• Advertisement

You're doing that waiter with the 3 pounds change trick! The total percentages add up to 211 - 4 stories have a third of the votes each.

Hmmm... maybe its just as well I'm not maths mod either. :)

Correct, because in multiple choice polls the percentages will never add up to 100%. Let's look at it small-scale. A poll with three options. Person A votes 1 & 2, B votes 1 & 3, C votes 2, D votes all three.

1 = 75% of people voted for it
    2 = 75% of people voted for it
    3 = 50% of people voted for it

So in multiple choice polls the percentages don't say the % of votes the options got, it's the % of people who voted for it :)

Yes, but even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus *two* plus one plus one.

Okay, we've successfully turned this thread into Maths Corner :rolleyes:

What do you mean Antilles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

All this math... my head hurts. Sorry, 3am? Kidding, right? If not, count me out- unless the prize really is a car or something.:pac:

We need at least 5 people and a suitable timeslot. For me that timeslot would need to be between 8.30 AM and 5.30 PM, Monday to Friday, but if anyone else wants to drop teh flag and collect the PMs that's cool with me.

Bank Holiday Monday, some time during the day?

What date is that? No bank holidys here until August.

I'm confused... I can only count 14 individual voters (and 13 comments) yet the poll says there have been 20 voters. If we count each individual vote there are 36, so where is this 20 coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Can't we just trust the computerised percentages? :)

This Monday would be okay, but I'm sure people might be up to something for the Bank Holiday weekend. Maybe wait til voting is over in the Cinderella thread and wait until the weekend after?

Can't we just trust the computerised percentages? :)

This Monday would be okay, but I'm sure people might be up to something for the Bank Holiday weekend. Maybe wait til voting is over in the Cinderella thread and wait until the weekend after?

Definitely wait for the voting to finish.

• Advertisement

Personally I think a bank holiday is a bad idea for a competition - surely its one of the least likely days for people to free...
    I'm not gonna suggest and alternative time, because times that suit me don't suit the rest of the world - I'm just gonna have to come to terms with the fact that 9to5ers ultimately have the world designed in their favour...

Alternatively....
    Whoever wants to enter, PM me a time when you can set an hour aside. I'll confirm if I can be there. At the appointed time I'll send you the outline and expect a PM back 60 minutes later.
    It should all be done within a 24-hour timeframe to keep the suspense factor though.

That could work...

Haha I was joking about the 3am ;)

BTW pickarooney, any chance we could advertise this competition like we did the last one?

Antilles wrote: »
    Haha I was joking about the 3am ;)

BTW pickarooney, any chance we could advertise this competition like we did the last one?

Not really I'm afraid. There's only one site announcement possible at any time. Maybe ToasterSparks can tweet it (did I say that right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Maybe ToasterSparks can tweet it?

I could. I'm still updating, but I'm not sure if there's any point! Twitter is very overrated... :/

Also, I was thinking some time we could try writing a story where someone writes a couple of paragraphs, then pass the story on to someone else to continue the story until we reach an end. Less a competition and more a fun project, but I thought I'd mention the idea.

Also, I was thinking some time we could try writing a story where someone writes a couple of paragraphs, then pass the story on to someone else to continue the story until we reach an end. Less a competition and more a fun project, but I thought I'd mention the idea.

Count me out of that one - hate collaborative writing!

Just in case anyone is wondering, the last vote in the thread does appear to be included in the total even though the voter's name doesn't appear.

Dublin141's vote? That username is showing up fine for me.

• Advertisement

So, is there a plan to continue this with a VOAT #4? Its been ages since I submitted my story and I'm itching to do another one :D

Advertisement