Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 3 (Cinderella)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

I was gonna suggest that, but then how many low-post account holders would enter the Competition?

Or, alternatively, some poor innocent newbie enters the competition, and everyone's like 'That is so sly Oryx, setting up an alternate account ... you are so BANNED!'.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*holds up hands* Not guilty! Dont shoot!

Wouldnt think of it lads. Ill submit my best attempt (imo) and afterwards ye can tell me if the second one was better, worse or equally bad. :D

I didnt think it would be so hard to rejig cinderella, but shes a stroppy bird who dont like change. Both my stories are very loosely based on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really have to start writing my story - the idea has been in my head for a week now...

Oryx wrote:
    *holds up hands* Not guilty! Dont shoot!

Wouldnt think of it lads.

Haha, well I wouldn't have minded anyway, but maybe that's just me! Be sure to post the other version after the competition.
    I really have to start writing my story - the idea has been in my head for a week now...

Same here, I just need to sit myself down and get it out of my head. It's a little like assignment deadlines - you always plan to get it done early, but it inevitably ends up being done the night or two beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Alt account? :D

Yeah I should probably admit now that both the previous winners were my alts.

Sorry guys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

By which I mean, I set up the Antilles account so I could use that to propagate my stories through its alts and vote for my... them... out.. oneself...

But seriously though, I'm Pickarooney and I set up this ALT account to be part of the Creative Writing forum revival, all the while having Antille's account which used other ALT accounts to win the Short Story Competitions.

How incredibly awesome am I? And yes it's true, only two other legitimate people besides me post in the Creative Writing section. I am omnipresent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

And while I'm getting it off my chest, I have to admit that really, the Creative Writing board is just me, exercising all my multiple personalities - I guess me posting this is redundant, but then again, I've seen fit to keep the facade up for the past few years, keeping it up a little longer can't hurt!

Blush_01 wrote: »
    And while I'm getting it off my chest, I have to admit that really, the Creative Writing board is just me, exercising all my multiple personalities - I guess me posting this is redundant, but then again, I've seen fit to keep the facade up for the past few years, keeping it up a little longer can't hurt!

not to burst your bubble, but I'm definitely here...

This is all actually a massive experiment. There are no writers here, just an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of keyboards, trying to produce the works of shakespeare.

• Advertisement

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Is rose not as beautiful as a banana?

Is it just me or has the forum gone really quiet? I think everybody that would be posting their writing is busy with this competition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've hit a bit of a wall with my story. I had a great idea up to a point (and its written up to that point), but I'm not sure how to end it.

And no, pickarooney, I'm not using explosions or a swat team. :)

For a story that seems simple, it is remarkably hard to reinterpret in a fresh way. Thats why I junked my first idea, and it took ages to get the next.
    Didnt think the forum was that quiet tho..

I came up with a few ideas but they all had a common theme of mental illness for some reason.

I came up with a few ideas but they all had a common theme of mental illness for some reason.

Haha, like what? Are the ugly sisters part of her multiple personality disorder?

I really should've written this a couple of weeks ago when I had a load of free time, rather than leaving it until this week, which is potentially going to be the busiest week I've had in several years... Hopefully will get a chance to get it done...

My story has been submitted! I was disappointed by how it translated from head to paper, but it'll have to do. :(

Fingers crossed I'll get at least one vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Babette

As a first-time poster I am wondering if this competition is open to everyone or regulars only?

• Advertisement

Babette wrote: »
    As a first-time poster I am wondering if this competition is open to everyone or regulars only?

Absolutely it's for everyone! The more the merrier. Closing date for this competition is the end of the month, so get writing quick!

Thank you Toastersparks! Just finishing my story now.

It's open to everyone, but you may find that you need to have a certain postcount to be able to send a PM, so you might need to contribute to a couple of threads first (I think it's either 10 or 25).

Okay, well if I don't qualify this time might try again next time. Great idea for a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Okay, well if I don't qualify this time might try again next time. Great idea for a competition.

Just waffle on AH for a few hours. You'll be set.

Have sent in my entry to this month's competition - really wish I had another 20,000 words or so to play around with, because it would've worked much better if I had...
    Anyway, I really wanted to run with the idea I had, so I made it work as best I could with about a 1000 words - hopefully it'll get some sort of positive feedback anyway, but I'm not expecting much...

Looking forward to reading all the entries next week...

Seven entries so far and most of them are from first-timers, which is great to see. How many people are definitely planning on entering this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'll enter i think. Will make a start on it later,left it way too late the last time.

Seven entries so far and most of them are from first-timers, which is great to see. How many people are definitely planning on entering this week?

I'll have someting in, as long as Shoulder Antilles doesn't get the better of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Need to write an ending (and only have today and tomorrow to do it, I'll be AFK for a week after that)

Advertisement