Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF now the largest political party in the north.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't recall posting anything about 'my' stance.
    :confused:

can I refer you to post #89?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The time is at hand when the Shinners and their bagmen will have to do something off their own bat.

SF politicians have been working hard for their constituents for decades. You wouldn't know anything about it. There's a reason they are the largest party in the north, and it certainly isn't for the views you'd like them to be.
    Anyone with a modicum of understanding will realise that the UK Govt. will not treat these people differently once normality has been achieved.

It's not about treating anyone differently. It's about the power that SF can exert in Westminster (with at 5 seats is nothing), and also to do with the fact that there is no mandate for them to enter Westminster. You seem to have a severe problem with understanding that the electorate do not want them to take their seats, and want them to devolve more power locally.
    Painting oneself into a corner is a strategy of limited effectiveness and I would suggest that the UK Govt. will change their approach to the Shinners fairly rapido.

Given the fact that they are engaged in dozens of cross-community projects - I'm not sure how that constitutes as painting themselves into one corner. They are there to represent their constituents, which are nationalist and wish to remove British rule from Ireland. This is very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

That's none of your business.

For reasons that you would not be prepared to understand.
    lol. Is there a medal going for biggest cop out to a question ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Total rubbish and deluded rhetoric.

To achieve anything one has to be in the seat of power and get involved.

The seat of power is Westminster and they are cheating their supporters and deluding themselves if they, and their bagmen think that by refusing to take part, they further the cause of the people who voted for them..

NI is run by a devolved Government now, isn't it? PSF take their seats in that, I believe.
    ......kerbpainting.......

Could we at least aim for originality now and again?
    Anyone with a modicum of understanding will realise that the UK Govt. will not treat these people differently once normality has been achieved.

Would you care to explain that a bit, please?

Nodin wrote: »
    NI is run by a devolved Government now, isn't it? PSF take their seats in that, I believe.

Could we at least aim for originality now and again?

Would you care to explain that a bit, please?

Where does the money come from?

Certainly,as soon as things settle down in NI the UK Govt will not deal with these individuals and their bagmen with the approprium and leverage as when they were bombing the place to bits and shooting and murdering the forces of law and order.

That should be fairly obvious i would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

But don't comment on the third of Catholics who support the union. ;)
    If the Irish economy is on a par with the UK's it begs the question of why some many RoI Irish people - 800,000 nationals - live across the water.
    Should they not be coming here? :p

why are 113.000 uk nationals living here ?, census 2006, they make up much greater % than irish in uk , you have no evidence that a third of catholics support the union , in fact you your post is just waffle

Where does the money come from?

NI is given a budget to Govern itself with. PSF members meet with the British over such matters as part of their job as representatives in the NI Assembly.
    Certainly,as soon as things settle down in NI the UK Govt will not deal with these individuals and their bagmen with the approprium and leverage as when they were bombing the place to bits and shooting and murdering the forces of law and order.

That should be fairly obvious i would have thought.

They are elected representatives in the NI assembly and the largest nationalist party. The British have no reason not to meet with them. As theres been a ceasefire and subsequent cessation theres certainly no change evident in that pattern now that the shooting is long over.

You aren't suggesting the British should discriminate against the largest party of a certain community, are you?

NI is given a budget to Govern itself with. PSF members meet with the British over such matters as part of their job as representatives in the NI Assembly.

They are elected representatives in the NI assembly and the largest nationalist party. The British have no reason not to meet with them. As theres been a ceasefire and subsequent cessation theres certainly no change evident in that pattern now that the shooting is long over.

You aren't suggesting the British should discriminate against the largest party of a certain community, are you?

Hmmm... Mr Cameron might take a different view.

You are surely not suggesting that the tail should wag the dog are you?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ardmacha wrote: »
    At present 99% of people in Ireland support the Union as the conditions to end it set out in the GFA do not presently exist.

Bear in mind that some of these "conditions" include SF turning their back on criminal activity, and they have not 100% done that given their stated opinions regarding some recent criminal activities.

These things work both ways.

We had to stomach the release of violent thugs and bomber from both "sides" as a result of the GFA, and we still voted for it in the "hope" that it would stop the madness and violence and killing of ALL innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

Quick build a Berlin style wall now, to contain the 16th Century FundaMENTALists!:eek:

• Advertisement

Hmmm... Mr Cameron might take a different view.

So you're suggesting that Cameron might undo nearly 20 years of progress and initiate a campaign of discrimination against one section of the community? Bit apocalyptic there. Have you any evidence for this?

You started out complaining about PSF not taking their seats. When it was pointed out to you they take their seats in the Government of NI, you start implying the British will refuse (or is it should refuse?) to meet with them, despite no evidence to support that assertion, and a very large legal agreement to the contrary. I really can't understand what your underlying point is.
    You are surely not suggesting that the tail should wag the dog are you?;)

I've no idea what that statement has to do with anything. There's a series of institutions in NI that the British have - along with everyone else - signed off on.

pfy2k wrote: »
    Quick build a Berlin style wall now, to contain the 16th Century FundaMENTALists!:eek:

heh heh... unfortunately the hoors have access to the World Wide Web:D

So you're suggesting that Cameron might undo nearly 20 years of progress and initiate a campaign of discrimination against one section of the community? Bit apocalyptic there. Have you any evidence for this?

You started out complaining about PSF not taking their seats. When it was pointed out to you they take their seats in the Government of NI, you start implying the British will refuse (or is it should refuse?) to meet with them, despite no evidence to support that assertion, and a very large legal agreement to the contrary. I really can't understand what your underlying point is.

I've no idea what that statement has to do with anything. There's a series of institutions in NI that the British have - along with everyone else - signed off on.

I'm not complaining about anything

I stated The Shinners won't take their seats in Westminster.

Is that not fact.?

Mrs Thatcher a lady of substance, let the punters who tried to exert pressure, die in their own faeces.

The wheel is turning to a similar outlook.

Is that not fact.?

It is, and rightfully so. Which is why they are the largest party in the north. Great, isn't it?

As Joe Pesci almost said

Great?. How is it great?

I'd love to see the Nordies, live under the Dublin Government for a month. They would be scrambling for the Westminster Government by the end of the month. When they realized what they had lost and received, aka VRT and crazy road tax on their lovely affordable cars and 4x4's, and excellent roads, Carbon tax. Not to talk about the decent public services they take for granted. etc.... need I go on! Be very careful for what you wish for my Northern cousins!

They will ask you to back all that up in the next post:D

Come on down the price is right! Find out for yourself! lol:D Why does most of Leinster shop in Newry and Enniskillen. Unless your an RTE employee or TD. It is very hard to live a comfortable live down here:mad:

I'm not complaining about anything

Is that not fact.?

No, you said rather a bit more.

Total rubbish and deluded rhetoric.

To achieve anything one has to be in the seat of power and get involved.

The seat of power is Westminster and they are cheating their supporters and deluding themselves if they, and their bagmen think that by refusing to take part, they further the cause of the people who voted for them.

When it had been explained to you (in detail) that your assumptions are incorrect, you started posting odd comments about the British refusing to meet a democratically elected party. As a result, I don't really see your underlying point.
    Mrs Thatcher a lady of substance, let the punters who tried to exert pressure, die in their own faeces..

I'm wondering if that is a red herring, a straw man, or just a large lump of concrete on the rail line. I would, however, advise others to give it a wide berth.
    The wheel is turning to a similar outlook.

For the second time, do you have any evidence that a British Government - be it labour or conservative - is planning to discriminate against PSF representatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

danbohan wrote: »
    why are 113.000 uk nationals living here ?, census 2006, they make up much greater % than irish in uk , you have no evidence that a third of catholics support the union , in fact you your post is just waffle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

This link cites the fact that 39% of Catholics wished to remain in the UK based on the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey 2007.

Rory McIlroy anyone? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

dlofnep wrote: »
    It is, and rightfully so. Which is why they are the largest party in the north. Great, isn't it?
    Yea, just a pity they were terrorists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

KeithAFC wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Response to your analysis above is contained in my link below.
    39% of Catholics wishing to remain in the UK. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I support the Union and I am a Dubliner!:mad: Just like Edward Carson!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I'm hoping SF call a border poll now in NI.
    They would soon see how likely a United Ireland is by 2016.
    Would be 65-35 in favour of remaining in the UK.
    And 35% of Catholics would vote in favour of the United Kingdom.
    But, alas, these are the reasons why SF won't call a border poll.

Firstly it is not up to Sinn Fein to call any poll on the issue of the border.
    Where exactly do you get your figures to back up your argument for catholics wanting to remain part of the UK?

No, you said rather a bit more.

When it had been explained to you (in detail) that your assumptions are incorrect, you started posting odd comments about the British refusing to meet a democratically elected party. As a result, I don't really see your underlying point.

My assumptions are not incorrect.

I never said the British would refuse to meet a democratically elected party, I said the influence of that party would dramatically decrease one normality was achieved.

I'm wondering if that is a red herring, a straw man, or just a large lump of concrete on the rail line. I would, however, advise others to give it a wide berth.

For the second time, do you have any evidence that a British Government - be it labour or conservative - is planning to discriminate against PSF representatives?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by 'discriminate'

Who brought up that red herring.?;)

Camelot wrote: »
    No.

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes it is.
    No it isn't, Shinn Féin are ex-terrorists. They shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the halls of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

This link cites the fact that 39% of Catholics wished to remain in the UK based on the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey 2007.

Rory McIlroy anyone? ;)

they must have interviewed Catholics living on shankill road , you better find more accurate sources . not all catholics want a 32 county republic , not all protestants want union with uk , but not 39% on either side , prob more like 3%

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No it isn't, Shinn Féin are ex-terrorists. They shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the halls of power.

Well, you don't get to decide who the electorate can vote for. And unlucky for you, Sinn Féin are now the largest party in the north. Which means that they were doing exactly what the people wanted - engaging in the peace process, devolving power and working on behalf on their constituents.

I know it hurts you to see Sinn Féin become the backbone of politics in the north, but you're just going to have to deal with it. Just like it hurt the Boers when Nelson Mandela became the president of South Africa. They once called him a terrorist too.

Advertisement