Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF now the largest political party in the north.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Exile 1798 wrote: »

My greatest hope is that it will put an end the whinging about the wrongs of abstention from Westminster... the verdict on that is in, Nationalists don't give an f....

No such luck I suppose!
    Camelot wrote: »
    A great day for SF indeed, but it's not necessarily a great day for the other parties & the 'Non Shinners' people who live in Fermanagh & South Tyrone, but who will continue to have NO VOICE at the heart of Government!

What's the matter with you? Sing me something new...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

TommyT wrote: »
    How?

half a million people unemployed in the south, recession, corruption, the banks??? where've you been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Nice..... Your not an embittered Traditional Unionist Voice (or is that Taigs Unwelcome Vanish) supporter by any chance?

Overall SF, the SDLP and the DUP (bar the Peter Robinson result) will be happy enough today I'd say. AP probably happiest of all though!
    Nope. I dislike the TUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

paky wrote: »
    half a million people unemployed in the south, recession, corruption, the banks??? where've you been?

And Sinn Fein are going to change that? How?

And Sinn Fein are going to change that? How?

Who said they were going to change it?

• Advertisement

Who said they were going to change it?

So what are they going to do? The only thing Sinn Fein have ever done to the economy of this country, North and South is to lengthen the dole queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FTA69 wrote: »
    2016? Are they still peddling that bullsh*t? I thought they'd the good sense to quietly abandon that nonsense.
    I do believe he said:
    TOMASJ wrote: »
    Well done Sinn Féin. looking good for unity in 12016
    Which is a fair bit away... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dlofnep wrote: »
    Who did you vote for?

That's none of your business.
    Why would it not be a great day for the leading republican party in the north, which endorses the peace process and devolved power for the people not be a great day for the rest of us?

For reasons that you would not be prepared to understand.

So what are they going to do? The only thing Sinn Fein have ever done to the economy of this country, North and South is to lengthen the dole queues.

And tell me how they've done that when there not even in Government in the south?

It is a sad day that Sinn Fein are celebrating the result of a British election. They may as well take their seats now, they have done everything else.

• Advertisement

It is a sad day that Sinn Fein are celebrating the result of a British election. They may as well take their seats now, they have done everything else.

Have you anything to contribute to this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Camelot wrote: »
    A great day for SF indeed, but it's not necessarily a great day for the other parties & the 'Non Shinners' people who live in Fermanagh & South Tyrone, but who will continue to have NO VOICE at the heart of Government!

yea , they are going to be exactly like the people in the other 30 counties on this island with no voice in heart of goverment , or is that government with no heart

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

If I supported Sinn Fein I'd be happy with the voting results today...HOWEVER can someone tell me how Caitriona Ruane managed to get 12,000 votes in South Down???...she must be the worst politician Northern Ireland has even seen...she just beats Jim Allister in to first place!!! :D

Jaap wrote: »
    If I supported Sinn Fein I'd be happy with the voting results today...HOWEVER can someone tell me how Caitriona Ruane managed to get 12,000 votes in South Down???...she must be the worst politician Northern Ireland has even seen...she just beats Jim Allister in to first place!!! :D

i agree. getting rid of the eleven plus was a bad move also

Ah yes, because this is something new.

There was no celebrating when Sinn Féin triumphed in the British election of 1918, or the famous Westminster election victories in Fermanagh/South Tyrone and West Belfast during the Troubles. I recall Gerry Adams and SF supporters being very sad indeed the first time he won West Belfast.

Honestly, I think you'll have to do better then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

i agree. getting rid of the eleven plus was a bad move also

I know...Ruane getting rid of the 11 plus and replacing it with...what??? :D She hasn't a clue!!
    Glad Margaret Richie defeated her!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

aye but if you count all the unionist parties together sf is the lowest party!:P:P Seriously though, didn't fermanagh not have the unionists first then they changed it to sf which shows how close it was to getting fermangh in the unionist seats!! I hate sf with a passion, they are made up of terrorists, they are republican aswell, oh god i hate!! them!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jaap wrote: »
    I know...Ruane getting rid of the 11 plus and replacing it with...what??? :D She hasn't a clue!!
    Glad Margaret Richie defeated her!!!

Aye everyone here hates her because she is trying to make the schools like down south... shes a nightmare. plus shes from sf and they will try and make everything into irish!! oh god.

owenc wrote: »
    aye but if you count all the unionist parties together sf is the lowest party!:P:P Seriously though, didn't fermanagh not have the unionists first then they changed it to sf which shows how close it was to getting fermangh in the unionist seats!! I hate sf with a passion, they are made up of terrorists, they are republican aswell, oh god i hate!! them!!

There was a Unionist pact made where they put up one Unionist candidate against two Nationalists.

To win the seat SF had to secure something like 85% of the Nationalist vote, no mean feat.

If the result stands it is a stunning defeat for both the Unionists and the SDLP.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Aye everyone here hates her because she is trying to make the schools like down south... shes a nightmare. plus shes from sf and they will try and make everything into irish!! oh god.
    Who are you claiming to speak on behalf of? Clearly everyone doesn't hate her. You should try to be a lot clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The SDLP come out looking very bad in this, whether you support the shinners or hate them you have to admire their tactics - they are good.

Whether that transpires to down here in the south is a different matter - they may gain a slight uplift in the next election because of anger at FF, but they wont make any major gains - politics here are too tribal for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ruane got tonked?:D

Nice one, hope she wasn't suffering from delayed jet lag after 21 trips to Colombia to free the birdwatchers.

Some people up there have some sense it would appear.

AAahhh I think I'll crack open a bottle of beer.

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

danbohan wrote: »
    you might want change the date !, before the west brits think its real

I really do dislike that term, insulting on so many levels to so many people. Still, well done to SF - most impressive.

snow ghost wrote: »
    The SDLP come out looking very bad in this, whether you support the shinners or hate them you have to admire their tactics - they are good.

Sinn Fein are excellent at vote management and getting their voters to come out. But as a political party they offer their voters very little, especially in a general election.
    Other than Fermanagh South Tyrone I think the SDLP have done alright. They have held their 3 seats and have probably made South Belfast a safe seat.

Have you anything to contribute to this thread?

Do you have anything other than pathetic one line replies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Long May Peace reign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Sinn Fein are excellent at vote management and getting their voters to come out. But as a political party they offer their voters very little, especially in a general election.
    Other than Fermanagh South Tyrone I think the SDLP have done alright. They have held their 3 seats and have probably made South Belfast a safe seat.

Agree about them being excellent at vote management, but can't agree with them as a political party offering their voters little... I think we have to leave that to the objective opinion of the electorate in N.I. and their voters make up the largest group, so we can assume they obviously do offer them something substantial.

The SDLP come out the losers - on many levels - in Fermanagh South Tyrone. They actually played exactly into the shinners hands. As an outside observer, I think the SDLP are a spent force and lack any real leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Congratulations to Sinn Fein. It takes some political machine to convince people that it is in their best interests to vote for somebody who isn't actually going to represent them in parliament.

I was delighted to see the Alliance Party win a seat. Hopefully in the future the people of N.I. will be represented by more non-sectarian parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I'm hoping SF call a border poll now in NI.
    They would soon see how likely a United Ireland is by 2016.
    Would be 65-35 in favour of remaining in the UK.
    And 35% of Catholics would vote in favour of the United Kingdom.
    But, alas, these are the reasons why SF won't call a border poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The SDLP come out the losers - on many levels - in Fermanagh South Tyrone. They actually played exactly into the shinners hands. As an outside observer, I think the SDLP are a spent force and lack any real leadership.

The SDLP will be happy enough. They made their point in FST, didn't campaign much and the seat was not lost to a unionist. Meanwhile they consolidated South Belfast and kept SF at bay in Derry and South Down.
    I'm hoping SF call a border poll now in NI.
    They would soon see how likely a United Ireland is by 2016.

There's no hurry, after almost 900 years another decade or so will not be a major problem.

Advertisement