Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF now the largest political party in the north.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Congratulations to Sinn Fein. It takes some political machine to convince people that it is in their best interests to vote for somebody who isn't actually going to represent them in parliament.

Ah yes, the irrelevant abstentionist line.

Despite not taking their seats in Westminster, they have accomplished far more than the SDLP (who do take their seats). Go figure.

Sinn Féin is an Irish party, and it's mandate from it's voters is to remain as such. If they were worried about the importance of SF being in Westminster, they would not have voted for them. There is clearly little to no benefit of SF taking seats in Westminster. It will cost them votes, at the expense of being able to drive change in the north.

Remember, Sinn Féin has taken an orange state to a place where nationalist voices now have a platform to be heard. Devolution didn't require a seat in Westminster. It required hard work on behalf on SF.

So drop it - that line didn't work for the SDLP and it isn't going to work for you.

Camelot wrote: »
    A great day for SF indeed, but it's not necessarily a great day for the other parties & the 'Non Shinners' people who live in Fermanagh & South Tyrone, but who will continue to have NO VOICE at the heart of Government!

Just like nationalists had no voice for decades, right? Chicken's coming home to roost. Besides, SF will represent all constituents to the best of their ability. Especially Michelle Gildernew who is a very hard and dedicated worker.

Don't worry - unionists already have a voice, on account of being unionists within the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I've never really understood this. If Sinn Fein MPs don't take their seats in Westminster, then how do they properly represent their constituents? Do they take part in votes in the Commons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

ardmacha wrote: »
    There's no hurry, after almost 900 years another decade or so will not be a major problem.

There was a big hurry during the troubles - brits out - do you remember?
    Over the next 10 years the British government will have pumped another GBP50bn into NI to keep the economy afloat - and this is why those %s won't be changing much. The RoI could go the same way as Greece - hardly an inviting menu for the good people of Norn Iron who know which side their bread is buttered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Over the next 10 years the British government will have pumped another GBP50bn into NI to keep the economy afloat

Good. They should be required to leave the place in good order.
    The RoI could go the same way as Greece

It could, but so could the UK. The ROI has grown faster than the UK in every decade since 1960, this decade won't be any different.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Devolution didn't require a seat in Westminster. It required hard work on behalf on SF.

Devolution was delayed for 25 years by the IRA's campaign of violence.
    Was on the table in 1973 but this was regarded by republicans as a sell out of their ideals and only acceptable to west brits. Until of course they accepeted decades later and it became an historic breakthrough for peace when they knew that no United Ireland was forthcoming.

Good. They should be required to leave the place in good order. It could, but so could the UK. The ROI has grown faster than the UK in every decade since 1960, this decade won't be any different.

But don't comment on the third of Catholics who support the union. ;)
    If the Irish economy is on a par with the UK's it begs the question of why some many RoI Irish people - 800,000 nationals - live across the water.
    Should they not be coming here? :p

sitstill wrote: »
    I've never really understood this. If Sinn Fein MPs don't take their seats in Westminster, then how do they properly represent their constituents? Do they take part in votes in the Commons?

How was devolution of policing & justice delivered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Just my two cents here...remember when talking about Northern Irelands politics and history just remember it's peoples lives, and the prospects of an everlasting peace. No-one particularly wants to remember history they just want to get on with their lives. The current agreement in place can last when all major political parties can sit down and discuss the future. Fair play to Sinn Fein for the past 10/12 years working for peace and helping to bring it about. This in my opinion is the reason of their popularity. Not the colour of their flag but their commitment to a fair and equal society for All. The proof is in the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

How was devolution of policing & justice delivered?

I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

But don't comment on the third of Catholics who support the union.

At present 99% of people in Ireland support the Union as the conditions to end it set out in the GFA do not presently exist. There isn't one third of NI Catholics who support the Union in the sense of not wanting arrangements to be made to end it. I expect some do, but more Protestants support a United Ireland. The idea that there is large number of nationalist voters who want the Union or that a nationalist majority can exist for long period without that leading to the end of the Union is nonsense, but if it gives you some hope then cling to that by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

But don't comment on the third of Catholics who support the union. ;)
    Wow, you are telling me that a third of the Catholic population are unionist? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I'm hoping SF call a border poll now in NI.
    They would soon see how likely a United Ireland is by 2016.
    Would be 65-35 in favour of remaining in the UK.
    And 35% of Catholics would vote in favour of the United Kingdom.
    But, alas, these are the reasons why SF won't call a border poll.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

At present 99% of people in Ireland support the Union as the conditions to end it set out in the GFA do not presently exist. There isn't one third of NI Catholics who support the Union in the sense of not wanting arrangements to be made to end it. I expect some do, but more Protestants support a United Ireland. The idea that there is large number of nationalist voters who want the Union or that a nationalist majority can exist for long period without that leading to the end of the Union is nonsense, but if it gives you some hope then cling to that by all means.

Last time I checked most people in Ireland support the republic.."why" Im looking at a box of cigs here with a Harp on it, says something about Irish excise duty on it.

sitstill wrote: »
    I don't know.

it was delivered by Sinn Féin without ever taking a seat in Westminster. Sinn Féin are able to represent their constituents just fine. The more they push for more devolved power, the more they will be able to do for them.

Having 5 seats in Westminster will do nothing, especially with a Tory lead Government. People seem to mis-represent the importance of taking a seat in Westminster for nationalists. It is of no importance to them, because they can't initiate change from Westminster - but they can initiate change at a local level as they continue to push for devolved powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are catholics that are also unionists. Something that SF have to deal with.
    These catholics don't want a united ireland.

Last time I checked most people in Ireland support the republic.."why" Im looking at a box of cigs here with a Harp on it, says something about Irish excise duty on it.
    I certainly don't, so you are wrong there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Gerry Kelly should run the gun party in memory of the police officer he shot in the head in cold blood.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There are catholics that are also unionists. Something that SF have to deal with.
    These catholics don't want a united ireland.

There are protestants who are nationalists. So what?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Gerry Kelly should run the gun party in memory of the police officer he shot in the head in cold blood.

Gerry Kelly served his time...letting go of the past is very important for ALL sides of the political spectrum in NI. This has led to the current situation. thankfully. To start listing out past grievances is an excuse which isn't listened to anymore.

• Advertisement

There are protestants who are nationalists. So what?
    Just pointing out that Catholics are not universally nationalists as some people would like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

it was delivered by Sinn Féin without ever taking a seat in Westminster. Sinn Féin are able to represent their constituents just fine. The more they push for more devolved power, the more they will be able to do for them.

Having 5 seats in Westminster will do nothing, especially with a Tory lead Government. People seem to mis-represent the importance of taking a seat in Westminster for nationalists. It is of no importance to them, because they can't initiate change from Westminster - but they can initiate change at a local level as they continue to push for devolved powers.

It was a Northern Irish issue though, I was under the impression it only came through negotiations in NI and had basically nothing to do with the House of Commons.

Also, come the next assembly elections the DUP will most likely be on top again, Unionists didn't really bother getting out to vote in a lot of constituencies this year.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Just pointing out that Catholics are not universally nationalists as some people would like to think.

Nor are Protestants universally unionist. Religion is irrelevant. Nobody is claiming all catholics are nationalist or that all protestants are unionist. Infact, some of the greatest republicans in the history of Ireland have been protestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Total rubbish and deluded rhetoric.

To achieve anything one has to be in the seat of power and get involved.

The seat of power is Westminster and they are cheating their supporters and deluding themselves if they, and their bagmen think that by refusing to take part, they further the cause of the people who voted for them.

The politics of division and kerbpainting perhaps but as far as achieving something tangible...nada.

amacachi wrote: »
    It was a Northern Irish issue though, I was under the impression it only came through negotiations in NI and had basically nothing to do with the House of Commons.

It was delivered exactly because Sinn Féin negotiated it outside of Westminster. Sinn Féin would not have any power in, nor do they have a mandate to be in Westminster.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Also, come the next assembly elections the DUP will most likely be on top again, Unionists didn't really bother getting out to vote in a lot of constituencies this year.

I'm not sure about that. Sinn Féin have increased their vote with every election for the past 2 decades. Sinn Féin will remain on top.

To achieve anything one has to be in the seat of power and get involved.

Not when you hold 5 seats, as a nationalist party out of a house which has 100's of seats. You do not have the political standing to initiate anything.

You say one has to be in a seat of power - but Sinn Féin have accomplished enough without ever having taking their seat. They don't need to take their seat, because the negotiate directly. This is the only way nationalists will ever have true representation.
    The seat of power is Westminster and they are cheating their supporters and deluding themselves if they, and their bagmen think that by refusing to take part, they further the cause of the people who voted for them.

No, they are not cheating their supporters. Their supporters understand very clear their policy on abstentionism, and vote knowing so. If it was an issue, they would vote for the SDLP. It's obviously a non-issue, because the SDLP are slipping into obscurity, and as much as it hurts you to accept - Sinn Féin are now the largest party in the north. A giant-step from the gerrymandered vote that once existed.

Not when you hold 5 seats, as a nationalist party out of a house which has 100's of seats. You do not have the political standing to initiate anything.

You say one has to be in a seat of power - but Sinn Féin have accomplished enough without ever having taking their seat. They don't need to take their seat, because the negotiate directly. This is the only way nationalists will ever have true representation.

No, they are not cheating their supporters. Their supporters understand very clear their policy on abstentionism, and vote knowing so. If it was an issue, they would vote for the SDLP. It's obviously a non-issue, because the SDLP are slipping into obscurity, and as much as it hurts you to accept - Sinn Féin are now the largest party in the north. A giant-step from the gerrymandered vote that once existed.

The time is at hand when the Shinners and their bagmen will have to do something off their own bat.

Anyone with a modicum of understanding will realise that the UK Govt. will not treat these people differently once normality has been achieved.

Painting oneself into a corner is a strategy of limited effectiveness and I would suggest that the UK Govt. will change their approach to the Shinners fairly rapido.

If they have any sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The time is at hand when the Shinners and their bagmen will have to do something off their own bat.

Anyone with a modicum of understanding will realise that the UK Govt. will not treat these people differently once normality has been achieved.

Painting oneself into a corner is a strategy of limited effectiveness and I would suggest that the UK Govt. will change their approach to the Shinners fairly rapido.

If they have any sense.

Theres been a lot of rubbish posted in this thread. Most of it by you.

I gather by that reply you are not prepared to back up your stance?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I gather by that reply you are not prepared to back up your stance?

I don't recall posting anything about 'my' stance.

Advertisement