Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you buy a car with a G reg?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

This is such a funny thread....I can understand people bantering about what my seem a silly to some, but to get angry, defensive and then go on the attack is just mental.

For my tuppence worth, I live in Galway and any Dublin reg cars I see in Galway (Mainly those with the longer numbers) I think that if it is a Mondeo it is a Garda car, or a rep's car and part of a fleet. Saying that, any new Limerick reg car I see in Galway I presume it is a rental car out of Shannon, and generally stay clear in case of them wandering over to the other side of the road.

It's still thought of SOME of those living in the Pale that we down the west are a different country. Who cares...whatever....no reason to get upset though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

D reg = car has spent most if not all its life in a city = car has never had a chance to warm up properly = serious engine wear relative to the mileage on the car = car will have less power due to it only being used in stop start driving = worn clutches and gearboxes*.

*not of course strictly true but given the stupidity of this thread(and some of the frankly ridiculous arguments made towards having a car with a D reg or not having a car because it has a D reg) I felt like introducing some stereotypes of my own.

FFS a car doesn't suddenly become "bad" because it doesn't have a D reg or a C reg or whatever :rolleyes:. You're not a car lover if you rule out a car because of the "wrong" reg, that just puts you in the same category as the kind of people who pay more for an A3 than a Golf so that you can tell your friends that you've got an Audi(maybe the 2 go hand in hand? being a reg plate whore and badge whore?) IMO.

Can you just imagine the level of snobbery there would be if the regs in Dublin were split up into the 4 local authorities, then we'd have D4 people's nose out of joint because they'd have to share the same reg as those in Ballyfermot or Finglas and not the one that the snobs in Doowkee or Dun Laoghaire have which obviously would be the most "desirable" one being the poshest part of the Southside:).

The only reg plate I can understand the hostility towards is DL(tbh it is well deserved) and I don't think anyone into cars needs me to tell them why that is.

It's the only reg plate I'd rule out when it comes to buying, any other reg I really couldn't care less(I'd prefer a C reg but I'm not overly fussed, it's only a reg plate anyway), a reg plate is only a sequence of numbers, letters and numbers, nothing more and nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

FFS a car doesn't suddenly become "bad" because it doesn't have a D reg or a C reg or whatever :rolleyes:
    The only reg plate I can understand the hostility towards is DL(tbh it is well deserved)

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

The only reg plate I can understand the hostility towards is DL(tbh it is well deserved) and I don't think anyone into cars needs me to tell them why that is.

It's the only reg plate I'd rule out when it comes to buying.

I don't know if thats a fair assessment captainspeed, your assuming that donegal people drive the life out of their cars or are so stupid they head across the border and bring over nothing but cat c and cat d cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

This thread belongs in AH imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement