Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you buy a car with a G reg?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Makes no odds to me really, I'd buy on condition not what's on the plate. My own car is LH, though I'm in Limerick. The only LK/ L cars I've owned were those I've reg'd myself. Most second handers have had CE regs, despite my father once teling me yhay I should never buy a Clare car , as they all live next to the beach and are rusty from the salt wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I've owned cars from Roscommon, Kilkenny, and Kerry all without a care. I'm looking around at the moment, and I've found a nice example of what I'm looking for, but its got a Cavan reg. I'd seriously find it hard to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    Only if you try and sell it in Dublin I imagine

One would have thought so, but when I went in to trade my car I was asked all over the country "is it a D reg". When I enquired about it the dealers told me that the D reg is more desirable all over the country. Personally I know three people from the country that have given addresses in Dublin so they could have their coveted D reg car because it would fetch more money when they go to sell it.

There are dealers on here, I am sure they will confirm this?

The only small problem I would have driving a Galway reg car is that people would assume I am a crap driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

John_Rambo wrote: »

The only small problem I would have driving a Galway reg car is that people would assume I am a crap driver.

WOW. With the absence of any smiley faces I assume you mean that. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've a Donegal (DL) reg car. Couldn't give a damn about the reg, really. I may not get a D reg for two reasons: A) it'd be more expensive because the tosser thinks I give a damn about the reg, and B) it has a higher chance of being owned by a scumbag who can't drive for sh|t, and crashed it at least once :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    it has a higher chance of being owned by a scumbag who can't drive for sh|t, and crashed it at least once :rolleyes:

Are there not less crashes in Dublin than anywhere else in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Bought an 88 KY left hand drive Volvo when I moved to Spain. One Sunday ndriving through Mijas I heard "**** Me. A Kerryman in Mijas" I had it on Spanish plates a month later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

panorton wrote: »
    Bought an 88 KY left hand drive Volvo when I moved to Spain. One Sunday ndriving through Mijas I heard "**** Me. A Kerryman in Mijas" I had it on Spanish plates a month later!
    A KY car in a town pronounce My-Ass, you were looking for trouble!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Exactly... as I don't live in Galway I wouldn't be selling it on in Galway...

Unless you are only advertising locally wouldn't your car be on a website so it would be for sale all over the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unless you are only advertising locally wouldn't your car be on a website so it would be for sale all over the country?
    Of course, but most potential buyers only look at cars within a set area local to themselves.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Of course, but most potential buyers only look at cars within a set area local to themselves.

True I suppose, though location would have no influence on me, I would travel anywhere in the country to look at a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 merchant08

Berty wrote: »
    My Uncle was buying a Range Rover HSE a few years ago and the salesman said

"We can register it so you can get a D reg"
    "Why would I want a D reg, I live in County Limerick"
    "When you come to sell it nobody will want an LK Range Rover"

He took his business to a Limerick Land Rover dealer instead. He was living most of the week in Dublin so thought he would buy it in the nearest dealer. That dealer / salesman lost a fortune in a high end order because of reg snobbery. :rolleyes:

So your telling us that your uncle walked away from buying a car from a dealer where he was getting the best deal because the dealer suggested registering it in dublin which was actually the dealer doing him a favour by giving him sould advice, sounds like bullsh!t to me and you are only trying to drop the fact that your uncle has a RR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I don't make up the rules, but Irish people are funny about regs, and have different perceptions about regs from different counties.

What sort of pr1ckology is this? I dont know one single person who's "funny" about reg's, or who would base their purchase or otherwise of a car on a reg. What a load of snobbish b0llox.

merchant08 wrote: »
    So your telling us that your uncle walked away from buying a car from a dealer where he was getting the best deal because the dealer suggested registering it in dublin which was actually the dealer doing him a favour by giving him sould advice, sounds like bullsh!t to me and you are only trying to drop the fact that your uncle has a RR

If you were buying something and the sales person basically ran down where you live would you be happy to give them your business?

sounds like bullsh!t to me and you are only trying to drop the fact that your uncle has a RR
    Any more of that and you'll be taking a week off.

What sort of pr1ckology is this? I dont know one single person who's "funny" about reg's, or who would base their purchase or otherwise of a car on a reg. What a load of snobbish b0llox.
    You mightn't know many, but anyone with experience in the motor trade will tell you that there are lots of them out there. Of course it's stupid, but that doesn't change the fact that it's there.

What would telling you about my Uncle achieve for me? :confused:

Green eyed goblin much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've had a G reg, a DL reg, 2 C regs, and 2 D reg's.

If you were buying something and the sales person basically ran down where you live would you be happy to give them your business?

How so? He was giving advice to the buyer. its no skin of the dealers nose where it was registered.

The dealer is talking fact, market for RRs is realisticaly a snob market, and a factor for the typical person buying one would be the reg. RR Sport are all about looks, otherwise why else would you buy a jeep like that, more rear leg room in a 3series, slow and costs a fortune to run.

Green eyed goblin much?
    Don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Of course because a 2006 KY Ford Mondeo with a full service history, 4 good tyres and has been well cared for is a WORSE car than a Dublin/Galway/Limerick registered car of equal details.

zzzzzzzzzzzzoom

Anan1 wrote: »
    You mightn't know many, but anyone with experience in the motor trade will tell you that there are lots of them out there. Of course it's stupid, but that doesn't change the fact that it's there.

Well if I was the salesman and I got a customer like that, I'd make a point of selling them the biggest ball of sh1te of a D reg banger I had, and take pleasure in raping their bank account, just for the reg.

Well if I was the salesman and I got a customer like that, I'd make a point of selling them the biggest ball of sh1te of a D reg banger I had, and take pleasure in raping their bank account, just for the reg.
    Duly noted.

Green eyed goblin much?

So the only reason your uncle walked away from the purchase(and therefore paid more money to another dealer for the same car) is because the dealer suggested registering it in dublin for resale purposes?

Sounds like cutting of your nose in spite of your face

So the only reason your uncle walked away from the purchase(and therefore paid more money to another dealer for the same car) is because the dealer suggested registering it in dublin for resale purposes?

Sounds like cutting of your nose in spite of your face
    You were warned already, see you in a week.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've had a G reg, a DL reg, 2 C regs, and 2 D reg's.

Slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you're looking for anwers look at the results of the poll so far. You must be living a sheltered life.

If you're looking for anwers look at the results of the poll so far. You must be living a sheltered life.

I'm not looking for any answers whatsoever, what makes you think that? Dunno why you're trying to get a dig at me lad, I didnt say anything to you. I'm just voicing my opinion. Isn't that what this site is for? And looking at the poll results, there's 23 sad ba$tards out of 103 people who wouldn't buy a perfectly good car just cos it had a G reg. Glad they're not acquaintances of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What sort of pr1ckology is this? I dont know one single person who's "funny" about reg's
    there's 23 sad ba$tards out of 103 people who wouldn't buy a perfectly good car just cos it had a G reg.

You see.

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for any answers whatsoever, what makes you think that? Dunno why you're trying to get a dig at me lad, I didnt say anything to you. I'm just voicing my opinion. Isn't that what this site is for? And looking at the poll results, there's 23 sad ba$tards out of 103 people who wouldn't buy a perfectly good car just cos it had a G reg. Glad they're not acquaintances of mine.

Results, polls and statistics mean nothing at all. 41% of people know that. :D

Advertisement