Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic crackers proto arrived! \o/

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

O_O
    For that money it better give a new face

Apparantly it's the last step desparate women take before surgry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So the owner of Nintendo player contacted me again. With a really interesting update to this. He has been in contact with someone who was friends with this 'Clint Dyer' chap. (the apparant source of the Sonic Crackers protos, along with the Neptune proto model and other things)

Scroll to towards the end for an update for Sonic proto, Sega VR, Neptune and proto Nomad (venus?!) goodness :)

http://www.nintendoplayer.com/prototype/following-the-trail-of-cracker-crumbs-the-origins-of-sonic-crackers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    So the owner of Nintendo player contacted me again. With a really interesting update to this. He has been in contact with someone who was friends with this 'Clint Dyer' chap. (the apparant source of the Sonic Crackers protos, along with the Neptune proto model and other things)

Scroll to towards the end for an update for Sonic proto, Sega VR, Neptune and proto Nomad (venus?!) goodness :)

http://www.nintendoplayer.com/prototype/following-the-trail-of-cracker-crumbs-the-origins-of-sonic-crackers/

So some of these Crackers protos, have been made in Sega, using Sega chips & boards....but made without permission? Clint had a mate in Sega who had access to the binaries & access to proto/dev boards & chips and made him a few unofficial protos for him to sell off? Weird! But interesting
    wrote:
    Clint’s friend had access to the binary libraries and he burned unreleased and work-in-progress games onto leftover EPROM proto boards. Technically (and this may be a debatable point) they are not true prototypes in the sense that they weren’t used for development or testing purposes.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    So some of these Crackers protos, have been made in Sega, using Sega chips & boards....but made without permission? Clint had a mate in Sega who had access to the binaries & access to proto/dev boards & chips and made him a few unofficial protos for him to sell off? Weird! But interesting

That's what it looks to be alright! Talk about a dodgy use of company property. :D

To think he offered the Neptune proto shell to someone for $400 and they didn't take it. Madness. I can only imagine how much that's worth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

That's what it looks to be alright! Talk about a dodgy use of company property. :D

To think he offered the Neptune proto shell to someone for $400 and they didn't take it. Madness. I can only imagine how much that's worth now.

Try explaining spending $400 to the wife/better-half back in the day - a block of wood covered in plastic :)

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Try explaining spending $400 to the wife/better-half back in the day - a block of wood covered in plastic :)

Easy - "Here's that thing I spent my own money on" :)

Its a pretty cool angle on the story really. Not alone is it cool enough to have a proto, but this was a proto that wasn't even meant to be made in the first place!

Master of the Universe

The fact that it's all first party hardware is just insane. I doubt you'll see another instance of that happening again.

Shame the guy has cut all links. Can kind of understand it though, I'd say they were innocent enough times when it came to walking out with development software/hardware. Imagine trying to do something like that now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The fact that it's all first party hardware is just insane. I doubt you'll see another instance of that happening again.

Shame the guy has cut all links. Can kind of understand it though, I'd say they were innocent enough times when it came to walking out with development software/hardware. Imagine trying to do something like that now :eek:

Probably still happens but you won't hear about it for another 5~10 years after a company has gone semi-tits-up like Sega did. /me waits to see the stuff that comes out of Sony if they go that way :cool:
    ...but that prob won't happen in my life time

Advertisement