Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic crackers proto arrived! \o/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'I now pronounce you man and prototype, you may kiss the cart casing...no not the pcb slot, you dirty whore!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

o1s1n wrote: »
    It does kind of make it hard to get excited about anything else.

/Begins hunting down a Sonic 1 prototype.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58427&postcount=37 :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope you are ready for the 'who do you love more, the prototype or me!' argument with the girlfriend.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope you are ready for the 'who do you love more, the prototype or me!' argument with the girlfriend.

I already get that with videogames in general.

Mrs o1s1n - 'Sometimes I think you love your videogames more than you love me'

o1s1n - /blank stare.

I better shut up, she reads boards :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Compliment her by telling her she is the panzer dragoon saga of women :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Compliment her by telling her she is the panzer dragoon saga of women :D

Or the Sonic Crackers of women - rare, desireable, only a handful of good ones...but temperamental :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If the ROM hasn't been dumped before and you have a SegaCD, why not dump it for the world :)
    http://retrodev.com/transfer.html
    (didn't realise that it would be so simple btw)

Bring it on saturday, I'll hold on to it for you :P

Master of the Universe

kerbdog wrote: »
    If the ROM hasn't been dumped before and you have a SegaCD, why not dump it for the world :)
    http://retrodev.com/transfer.html
    (didn't realise that it would be so simple btw)

Already have one on the way ;)
    Bring it on saturday, I'll hold on to it for you :P

I'm worried Sera will use the opportunity to sneak into my house while I'm gone, so I may have to! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Already have one on the way ;)

Nice :) think yea need a US (or a modded) Sega/MegaCD as the version of that ripping/dumping tool that allows larger carts is US only it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kerbdog wrote: »
    Nice :) think yea need a US (or a modded) Sega/MegaCD as the version of that ripping/dumping tool that allows larger carts is US only it would seem

Good point, I never thought of that. You can use my mega cd in that case if your stuck o1s1n.

Master of the Universe

To be honest I haven't even looked into the rom dumping software yet. Is it only larger carts that require an NTSC Sega CD? As Sonic Crackers is quite small.

Master of the Universe

Bit of a necro post but it's for good reason.

I had a lad called Mike from Nintendoplayer.com contact me last week saying he was writing an article about the origins of the Sonic Crackers carts. Namely my one as it had a bit of traceable history to it.

Seems he's actually managed to trace the cart all the way back to the Sega Employee which it came from. Makes for interesting reading!

http://www.nintendoplayer.com/prototype/following-the-trail-of-cracker-crumbs-the-origins-of-sonic-crackers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

That's a great read! I love stories like that! Now if only we could find a proto of Dick Tracy on the C64 and track that back to the suit that signed off on it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That's a great read! I love stories like that! Now if only we could find a proto of Dick Tracy on the C64 and track that back to the suit that signed off on it.

Should I play this Dick Tracy game just so I know how bad it is?

Yes. Though I will not be responsible for you crying your eyes out and wanting to put butter knives up your hoop to block out the hurt you will suffer.

It's so bad that even when you walk to the next screen the music suffers slowdown.

It's probably my favourite version of the game and one of my favourites of all time. I suggest playing it on your cab, just for the hoot. :D

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That's a great read! I love stories like that!

I love stories about tracking stuff down like that myself. Bit of a mad one when you're actually included in one though :pac:

Just a bit, must feel very odd! I remember reading a blog a guy made about collecting Famicom games and he always preferred to buy the really beaten up copies.

Games with stickers on them, writing and drawings. He said they made the games more personable and a gave a bit more of a story to them out of curiosity for whom might have owned them before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Great read!

Master of the Universe

Holy mother****ing ****balls. The weirdest thing in the world just happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:eek::eek:

Definitely contact him. It has to be him! Considering all the Sega stuff he has for sale from that era. Who knows, you might actually find the origin of your cart!

Master of the Universe

I've contacted Mike over on Nintendoplayer and let him know. Reading through his conversations with the likes of Richard Divizio (Baraka from Mortal Kombat!) he's a lot more experienced with extracting information from people like this.

I on the other hand would probably be more like -

'OMFG! ARE YOU THE ORIGIN OF SONIC CRACKERS?!!?!!!!!!!!111ELEVENTYONE111!!!!! I love you!!!'

(or something else equally as moronic)

/Edit - just snipped my above post in case someone else decides to contact him with something as stupid as my comment.

Will let you guys know if anything comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

You do know that it has been dumped as a rom?

Cant post the link as id get a ban

Master of the Universe

Sparks43 wrote: »
    You do know that it has been dumped as a rom?

Cant post the link as id get a ban

Ah yeah, it was dumped over ten years ago! It's just finding the actual source of them in Sega that's interesting as nobody has up until this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ah yeah, it was dumped over ten years ago! It's just finding the actual source of them in Sega that's interesting as nobody has up until this point.

Best of luck with the hunt m8

Did the cart cost much?

Master of the Universe

Bought it a good while ago now, but I think it fell in around the €200 mark.

Silly money to be spending on a game, but relative to other carts like this, not too bad.

Bought it a good while ago now, but I think it fell in around the €200 mark.

Silly money to be spending on a game, but relative to other carts like this, not too bad.

That's not bad at all for a famous enough proto cart tbh.

Master of the Universe

That's not bad at all for a famous enough proto cart tbh.

Tell that to my girlfriend! :pac:

Tell that to my girlfriend! :pac:

In all fairness that would have bought you nearly half a small tub of face cream we have where I work. Should have bought her €500 face cream :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In all fairness that would have bought you nearly half a small tub of face cream we have where I work. Should have bought her €500 face cream :P

O_O
    For that money it better give a new face

Advertisement