Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivering and developing FETAC modules

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭zxcvbnm12

i teach a number of fetac modules but have a new one this yr.health awareness level 5.has anyone ever thought it

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Hi, apologies if I should start a new thread for this post.

I'm thinking of delivering Presentation Skills and Technology, Level 5 L22525. This is the "old" module descriptor http://www.fetac.ie/doc/WelcomeServlet?DocId=0901df9e8002e97d but I'm looking for the "new" code and Component Specification.

I don't want to start it if it's going to be discontinued.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, apologies if I should start a new thread for this post.

I'm thinking of delivering Presentation Skills and Technology, Level 5 L22525. This is the "old" module descriptor http://www.fetac.ie/doc/WelcomeServlet?DocId=0901df9e8002e97d but I'm looking for the "new" code and Component Specification.

I don't want to start it if it's going to be discontinued.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

This is the last academic year to present all Level 5 modules for assessment. They are all changing next year. However from what I've seen of the content of the new Level 3 and 4 modules the content isn't going to change wildly, so I would say go ahead and teach it and when the new module comes out you probably won't have to make that many changes.

Thanks RainbowTrout, yes I've noticed that the other modules that I'm currently covering do not have huge changes, I suppose I'm more concerned that Presentation skills etc would not be available at all.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no new module descriptor up for it yet, but Level 5 are being introduced in two batches. Some next year and some the year after.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see, Presentation Skills and Technology it is then. Thanks a million.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

First things first while the new component spec don't look much different - apart from updating and lack of marking schemes you do have to have approval to deliver them - no longer cause you are a FETAC centre can you deliver FETAC awards without going through the porgramme approval process etc. Each programme must be approved by FETAC for delivery by each provider - this is a major change.

If you plan on delivering check on the FETAC Business System that your centre is approved for it - it is a locally devised module ie starts with L.
    In this case the module is part of the old NCVA processes and not the new CAS process so check when it due for withdrawal - you don't want to enter learners for it and discover they can not be certified. You can not deliver an old module and then have it entered under the new CAS system.

I am assuming that you plan to deliver it as part of a one year PLC course and if that is the case I would say that you should be ok but get it in writing from FETAC. If you are a public provider then check with the FESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Inishowen Fire Protection

Hi,
    looking to see if there is any person / organisation who can assist in the process of registering for FETAC accreditation for myself. I previously delivered FETAC courses accredited through FAS but this option is no longer available. Looked at FETAC site and it seems a long, time consuming process.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Be careful of paying alot of money to someone to write your FETAC application. You have to follow the procedures outlined in the application so you are better off (and it is cheaper) writing your application yourself, FETAC run workshops which are geared to helping you through the process. There is one scheduled for Oct on the following link http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/briefings.do?method=getBriefings&typeId=1

You shold also be aware of the fact that there are now more detailed requirements for private providers re the protection for learners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blooroo

I've just been employed to teach Care Skills and Care Support level 5. New to Fetac though have experience in education and healthcare. Where can I find samples of assignments or even course content? Cant believe there are no basic course materials developed and in common use! How is there any consistency in what is being taught? Seems like the wheel is reinvented all the time. Anyone able to help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 paddymac1971

Hi guys,
    Can i ask (probably a silly question). My module is being discontinued in Dec 2013 - I have only taught it for one year so far. Im just wondering if I can run the same course this year as last year, and re-write it next year to include the updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Its all about assessments. If you are sure your current students will get it finished by next December, then go with the old course.
    If they are slow workers and you think they might not have it done by Dec 2013, then go with the new course.
    If they start the old course and don't have it ready for assessment in time, they can't carry any of the old assessments over to the new course, so basically they would have to start again from scratch in January 2014.
    Hi guys,
    Can i ask (probably a silly question). My module is being discontinued in Dec 2013 - I have only taught it for one year so far. Im just wondering if I can run the same course this year as last year, and re-write it next year to include the updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tutoranne

Hi
    I am delivering fetac level 5 on a Fas Office Admin Traineeship.
    Word
    Spreadsheets
    Database
    Text Production

These are the new Fetac Major awards. Was wondering have you delivered any of them?

You should refer to the programme descriptor that your centre has developed as that should be far more detailed than the programme specification on the FETAC website.

The reason I recommended that you refer to the programme developed by your provider is that is what your External Authenticator will request to view when they authenticate your programme, regardless of whether you are private, public (VEC or FAS). If you want to PM me please do

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

Hi all,

I am currently finishing off a train the trainer course at the minute. Part of my assignment is a training needs analysis for communications fetac level 4. I'm just very confused and was wondering could anyone here help me/send me template, guidelines etc as I'm very lost and beginning to lose hope! Any help would be appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FetacMaterial

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Now that there is a forum for FETAC on boards I don't feel so alone anymore!

I deliver several modules and I am the only one in my centre who does so. I get little opportunity to discuss modules, delivery methods or work sheets with others doing the same subjects as I am. I would like to propose this thread as a place to swap, share and learn from each other.

What do you all think?

In the past five years I have worked on the following and would be willing to discuss/swap/chat etc...

Level 3
    Communications
    Preparation for Work
    Consumer Awareness
    Food and Nutrition
    Personal Care and Presentation

Level 4
    Communications
    Personal and Interpersonal Skills
    Personal Effectiveness

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Hi lollymcd,

I'm hoping that you can help me out here. I'm developing a Level 4 Personal Effectiveness module and I'm a bit pressed for time. Do you have any material that you could share with me please?

Many thanks. I'm starting to get stressed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi

~I am thinking of doing the FETAC level 6 train the trainer,
    What is involved in the course ?
    the one i am looking it run over 5 days.
    i have a level 6 in supervision in child care

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

I just finished it and it took 3 days, which was very intensive. 5 days would be much better. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. Half your marks go for a 10 minute presentation to camera. I was terrified at the thought of it but it was fine.
    The other half goes for your 2500 word assignment which is really a recap of everything you did. The instructions are straightforward and once include all the points they mention you will score well.
    Tip for the presentation - give out handouts to your 'audience'. You will get extra marks. I think the course is a very useful one to have because it can be applied to so many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yvonne Smith

Hi, I am a tutor and have delivered various modules from level 3, 4 and 5. I was hoping I could find someone who has delivered 'Understanding Youthwork'. I would really appreciate if I could get some advise on it and I would be more than willing to share my experience on any of the modules I have delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭HotHHead

I see earlier in the postings, some posters stated you needed to have a degree to be registered on the teaching council website, is this still the case. I've looked at the site but can not see anything about tutors.

I'm currently volunteering as a tutor for my local VEC, I am really enjoying it and would love to get into this on a more permanent basis, also paid! Obviously I'm only tutoring short course, 6 weeks, I'm currently on the third round of 6 week courses, I'm only doing basic computers / social media etc.. So not fetac sorry, but was just wondering, what can I do next to help me move on? I'm starting train the trainer next week. I have worked in human resource/payroll for the past 10 years so that was my back ground, made redundant over a year ago.
    Have looked into adult literacy diplomas/degree, but absolutely nowhere near me does them, nearest is WIT and I'm in Cavan.
    Any advice?

To teach Level 5 & 6 you need to be registered with the Teaching Council. Talk to the HR department of your ETB. Do bear in mind that all the ETBs are reducing their teaching staff due to cut backs.

Check out NUI Maynooth for courses.

PM me if you have more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am going to be teaching a Level 3 Crime Awareness programme.
    Anyone done this before or have tips, worksheets, ideas of what to include please PM me. Any suggestions welcome.
    Have the Copping On pack but I don't think it's hectic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Overwhelmed redhead

Hi so I have delivering fetac level 5 for the past few years, I now have been given the job of delivering fetac level six disability awareness, while it's an area I'm familiar with I am looking for help in the assignment brief area and the general jump in information needed to deliver level 6!! I feel completely overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hannbanna

Is anyone teaching Level 4 and 5 Personal Development and Community Inclusion. I am a new teacher and have never delivered them before. Feeling slightly lost as there are limited resources.

Advertisement