Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivering and developing FETAC modules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Hi everyone,

Another FETAC trainer here as well. A great section, thank you.

I did the Train the Trainer a few years ago, and again found that it consolidated what I knew rather than provide many deep and meaningful insights.

However, it is important if you want to become FAS registered.

There is an excellent book by Tom Garavan and others called Making Training and Development Work and this is a book that I dip into from time to time just to review my teaching methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

Thanks so much Lollymcd for starting this post. I have just been asked to deliver Communications Level 4 and I don't know where to start. I currently deliver communications level 3 to a small group that require alot of help, during this time I am suppose to deliver level 4 as well to the rest of the group - WHERE DO I START??????????????/ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

So are you saying that you are delivering 2 FETAC modules in the same time previously allocated to Level 3 Communictaions ? There is a serious quality assusrance issue with this and the centre might be in breach of the QA procedures with FETAC.

The best bet is to deliver the units as per the descriptor - e.g. Learning to Learn and then show a variety of different standards of presentatirequired work and then issue the assessment methods to the two different groups and work them to bring the standard up to the relevant level. The methods will be similar but standard and breathe required will be different. Not ideal but as I said it is unfair to the Learners. is there any chance the whole group would be fit for level 4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

Thanks Further Ed

I agree with you, thank god there has been a change, now looking at the possibility of introducing a Level 4 module on Health Related Fitness or Nutrition in which all of the group could participate. This is a much better option and will be a nice challenge for my weaker group. Anyone that has delivered this module and can give me the heads up! I will be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Hi All
    New to delivering FETAC and will be delivering level 3 Prep for Work and level 5 Work Orientation and Work Experience. Have to submit course outlines this week and don't know where to start. No probs with the actual delivery just with putting together the actual timings of classes and how long per class per week and for how many weeks. Courses starting in few weeks till April so need to get the organisation right. Are there minimum hours needed? Should I do two hour sessions or one? Was looking for a template for a course outline to give me guidance because once I've started I'd say no problem. Have taught 2nd and 3rd level but not FETAC so any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you all.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit confusing as you seem to have entirely open options of when and how long you have for classes? You would normally be allocated hours, precise arrangements can vary depending on whether you are doing day or night school, within secondary school etc. However I would suggest you do only an hour per subject at a time, which is quite long enough for level three, and in fact would need to be divided into shorter periods to maintain interest. Try and include as much project/activity/class participation as possible. Probably three hours a week, but it does depend on your circumstances.

Start by looking at the module marking scheme and see what you will have to mark, then look at the special learning objectives and see how they fit in with the marking scheme (sometimes you need to be quite creative to make them match).

Make a dated list and remember to take out holidays etc, then divide the work to fit the weeks. Find out when exams or closing dates are and give yourself a few of weeks of revision time. Work out definite closing dates for submission of assignments through the year.

It is quite difficult to get this right first time, in the absence of any guidance don't beat yourself up about total accuracy, just keep the objectives in mind and the next year you will find it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Sorry only getting back on this now as had problems with my connection but thank you so much for that. Will be sitting down planning this week and going to take your advice. Will be back on if I get stuck. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bycikas

Hey all FETAC trainers.
    I'm looking for few answers... if it wont bother you too much.

-What qualifications are required for FETAC trainers / training center? To get approved by FETAC.

-Can i hire FETAC trainers that work at other center to work with me in my training company?

Just looking to expand my training services to a FETAC and FETAC was not very helpful.. if you can say so... if anyone has time and desire to help newbie, looking forward to get your PM. Or maybe we would even be able to work together. :rolleyes:

A 'coalface' trainer would not necessarily know all that much about becoming FETAC certified. You need to check out the FETAC website, which is not easy to negotiate, and also talk to FETAC. You might also find it useful - or not - to talk to FAS. The whole area is a bit hazy once you leave the organised confines of the VEC set-up. The VEC is not relevant to you I think.

Yes, you can use trainers from other centres if they wish to take hours with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shadeyhk

Hi Peeps

I am a newbie at delivering FETAC modules. Recently someone asked if I can help deliver Level 4 Language: English.

I need to draft and submit a course outline and create worksheets for the students for all lessons but I am tight for time.

I was hoping there would be some resources I could draw upon to help form and design a brief course outline with lesson plans to cover all of the units and SLO's required.

Unit 1 Interpersonal communication.
    Unit 2 Travel and Accommodation.
    Unit 3 Food and Drink.
    Unit 4 Shopping and Making Purchases.

The descriptor is helpful and has a great deal of detail of the things I need to cover. There's a lot to cover indeed.

There's also a question of how long the course should be, how long should each lesson be and how many lessons would be appropriate for this level. I don't want to make it too intense, else students would lose interest.

Also, if one was to compare FETAC Level 4 English Language to other qualifications; what would be the approximate level of English involved.
    (other qualifications CEF, UCLES, IELTS or TOEFL equivalent).

Please feel free to give me advice, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 edelnig

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Now that there is a forum for FETAC on boards I don't feel so alone anymore!

I deliver several modules and I am the only one in my centre who does so. I get little opportunity to discuss modules, delivery methods or work sheets with others doing the same subjects as I am. I would like to propose this thread as a place to swap, share and learn from each other.

What do you all think?

In the past five years I have worked on the following and would be willing to discuss/swap/chat etc...

Level 3
    Communications
    Preparation for Work
    Consumer Awareness
    Food and Nutrition
    Personal Care and Presentation

Level 4
    Communications
    Personal and Interpersonal Skills
    Personal Effectiveness

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!
    I'd love to pick your brain about delivering the Personal Care and Presentation SKills module at Level 3 if that's the one you have experience with! I'm new to Fetac delivery and have found nothing on the fetacresources website relating to this module. I did find a nice tutor handbook hidden away on the HSE website, called Don't Sweat It! which has a lot of relevant stuff. If you haven't seen it, check it out. But maybe I'm the only one wasn't in the know...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Hi all

I'm new to this section of Boards - seems like a good forum and this is a really useful thread.

I'm looking for some general advice from the tutors on here - how did you get into tutoring?

At the moment I'm delivering some workshops for private companies, and also doing some university lecturing and teaching. I'd like to expand into FETAC courses and adult education, but am unsure about how to get my foot in the door.

Is it simply a matter of approaching centres / colleges and advertising myself? Or is there any central 'pool' of tutors which i can apply to join?

I don't have formal teaching qualifications (although am planning to complete the 'Train the Trainer' module) so would be relying on my knowledge and prior experience. For what it's worth, my area is health / nutrition / exercise / sport.

Thanks for any advice.

You can work with the VEC, Fas and private suppliers. To work for VEC you need to be a registered teacher, and nowadays this means a degree, and a teaching qualification requirement is being introduced. Fas, to the best of my knowledge require a teaching qualification that is a bit more than the 'train the trainer' course - you would have to ask in a Fas centre. Private suppliers you just have to contact, it depends a bit on what basis they are supplying on.

The best approach is to contact these organisations. You do not have to deal with FETAC unless you are seeking to be a supplier yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Hi looksee

Thanks for the advice, appreciated. Just to clarify, do you know is the teaching requirement being introduced by the VEC the standard HDipEd as for secondary school teaching, or something orientated more towards adult education? Obviously I'll contact IVEA / VECs for advice, was just wondering if you have inside knowledge of something which isn't yet formalised!
    looksee wrote: »
    To work for VEC you need to be a registered teacher, and nowadays this means a degree, and a teaching qualification requirement is being introduced..

I am not sure what the current situation is, but a HDip is, as far as I know, what will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edelnig

StudentC wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm new to this section of Boards - seems like a good forum and this is a really useful thread.

I'm looking for some general advice from the tutors on here - how did you get into tutoring?

At the moment I'm delivering some workshops for private companies, and also doing some university lecturing and teaching. I'd like to expand into FETAC courses and adult education, but am unsure about how to get my foot in the door.

Is it simply a matter of approaching centres / colleges and advertising myself? Or is there any central 'pool' of tutors which i can apply to join?

I don't have formal teaching qualifications (although am planning to complete the 'Train the Trainer' module) so would be relying on my knowledge and prior experience. For what it's worth, my area is health / nutrition / exercise / sport.

Thanks for any advice.

I got into Fetac by firstly training as a voluntary adult literacy tutor with our local Adult Learning Centre, the course for which covered several weekends and a few evenings. I went to the centre and left my name and contact details. They run the course a few times a year and got in touch with me when the next course was running. After completing the course, I was matched with a learner and worked away, one hour a week with her, on a voluntary basis.

After 50 face to face hours with various learners, I was deemed qualified to apply for group tutoring work. I did an interview with my local VEC and was put on their tutor panel. I didn't get any paid work right away, but I have been tutoring groups now for about 3 years, under various funding schemes. This is my first year delivering Fetac modules. I don't get enough hours to make a living at this, but then that's not what I want from it as I have three young children too! I do know some people at our centre do this for a living.

By the way, my ALO (my boss in the Adult Learning Centre here) said that the Train the Trainer course is not recognised by the Department of Education, who fund most of our courses. Don't know if its the same course you're talking about or viewed the same way in all VECs.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

Unfortunately I don't teach any of your modules Lollymcd but I too would be in a similar situation. Small PLC centre within a school. 2 main teachers and the odd teacher who gets put teaching a module for a year every now and again.

I teach/have taught

Level 5:

Spreadsheets
    Databases
    The Internet
    Web Authoring
    Word Processing
    Text Production
    Information and Communication Systems
    Work Experience
    Presentation Methods
    Presentation Software
    Mathematics
    Computer Programming
    Computer Architecture and Systems

Level 4:

Information Technology Skills
    Computer Applications

Hi Rainbow.

Thanks for posting. I've recently begun delivering the following modules:

Communications Level 5
    Work Experience Level 5
    ECDL/Word Processing - Equivalent Level 5
    Health & Safety Level 5
    Personal Effectiveness Level 5

I'm really struggling to find resources. There's only so much googling one can do and it takes time to trawl through stuff on there.:( I understand people may not want to share all their resources as they've put time and effort into creating them. However, any pointers, websites and books you or anyone could recommend would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much in the way of resources yet as I'm only 8 weeks into doing this for the first time but I'm willing to share if/when I can.

In particular, has anyone got tips on delivering ECDL as it's so hard to keep it interesting and to find exercises that provide variety etc. Any help/advice at all would be appreciated.:)

Thank you very much.

Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

How do I register to become a fetac tutor? I would be particularly interested in tutoring fetac 6 advanced supervision in childcare. I have completed all modules. I have recently completed the Diploma in Education and Training (UCG)
    and have a post grad in Special Educational Needs (Trinity). I have worked in primary teaching and as childcare manager for past 12 years.

If you want to work in the private sector then it is up to the employer what they require.

If you want to work in the public sector there are two options - with FAS or as a tutor in a PLC/FE centre. Refer to your post in the Teaching Forum for details on registering with FAS.

Re tutoring in a FE/PLC centre you will need to be registered with the Teaching Council as the sector is still technically second level and tutors are employed as secondary teachers in VEC or secondary schools. They are subject to the requirements of the Teaching Council so therefore you will need a degree in your subject area. Check out the degrees that are recognised by the Teaching Council for your subject area. Many of the PLC/FE centres also seek additional relevant experience and some level of training/teaching qualification or experience. Competition for such positions are very intense and positions limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Hi Seems to be a lot of tutors on this thread so i hope someone could advise me. I'm currently working with a girl with a learning disability who is interested in working in a creche eventually as a childcare assistant.

I know there is a Fetac qualifacation necessery for this but i'm wondering what is the entry level she could start. I'm not sure she could manage Fetac level 5 also why would the steps she would need to take to get a job in her chosen career. I'm only a student myself so i'm not to sure what direction to take

Thanks

Its a bit difficult to answer without more specific information about her ability, but she would, as you say, need a level 5 cert. Generally she would need to be able to cope with this level, it is done in one year and while there are other Fetac levels, usually students go in after leaving cert.

While VEC providers make every effort to assist someone with learning problems - usually literacy issues like dyslexia - and there is learning support, she would ultimately need to be able to pass the course and there is written work involved.

Her best approach would be to enquire in a local centre and find out whether it would be feasible for her to do the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adam323

Hi im new to this so dont really no what im doing ha..
    Since yous are all talking about fetac courses.I taught i ask about the fetac level 3 course.Im starting it in the new year as i left school after 3rd year.Thinking i new it all and dident need an education.Was in with the wrong crowd.Doing the wrong things drinking doing drugs.From the age of fifteen Same stuff you hear all the time.Well long story cut short all done with now.And i no i need a education now,Im twenty two and dont really no what to do and where to start i done my junior cert.Well i just posted this to see what i can do after i finsh the fetac course.And see if i could go on to further education.??.Iike some type of course in college as a mature studen is that possible?..Would be very greatful for some sort of direction as im totally lost and dont no were to start.....
    Ps sorry if theres miss spellings ha!!

adam323 wrote: »
    Hi im new to this so dont really no what im doing ha..
    Since yous are all talking about fetac courses.I taught i ask about the fetac level 3 course.Im starting it in the new year as i left school after 3rd year.Thinking i new it all and dident need an education.Was in with the wrong crowd.Doing the wrong things drinking doing drugs.From the age of fifteen Same stuff you hear all the time.Well long story cut short all done with now.And i no i need a education now,Im twenty two and dont really no what to do and where to start i done my junior cert.Well i just posted this to see what i can do after i finsh the fetac course.And see if i could go on to further education.??.Iike some type of course in college as a mature studen is that possible?..Would be very greatful for some sort of direction as im totally lost and dont no were to start.....
    Ps sorry if theres miss spellings ha!!

Good luck to you, that's a good decision.

You cannot go into Higher Education as a mature student till you are 23 (23 at the start of the year - January - in which you apply), but you will need to work up to level 5 in Fetac.

A good result in a level 5 course is often a way into an IT college, but you will have to check out the exact course that you want to do and find the best FETAC course to get into it.

Just a point that may be helpful, and a lot of people get confused about it, Further Education is the FETAC - type courses. Courses that lead to a degree in Institutes of Technology and Universities are called Higher Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

hi iam trying to find some info i have done 2 years in gmit at castlebar
    studing higher certificate in science in information technology support.
    i am currently doing a leve 5 graphic design course in castlebar further education and it is manatory to do two weeks work experience.

iam finding it very hard to get work experience as a lot of the companys
    are very quite or on 3 day weeks.
    as i have done work placement in the above course at level 6 will i be able to use this as my work placement.

http://www.gmit.ie/castlebar/technology/cert-it-support.html

naughto wrote: »
    hi iam trying to find some info i have done 2 years in gmit at castlebar
    studing higher certificate in science in information technology support.
    i am currently doing a leve 5 graphic design course in castlebar further education and it is manatory to do two weeks work experience.

iam finding it very hard to get work experience as a lot of the companys
    are very quite or on 3 day weeks.
    as i have done work placement in the above course at level 6 will i be able to use this as my work placement.

http://www.gmit.ie/castlebar/technology/cert-it-support.html

The only definite way of getting an answer to this is to ask your work experience teacher and see if you can get an exemption. Did you pass the work experience module on the previous course? If you did it might be allowed but it's up to your college to agree to the arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

yea i passed it got a fairly good mark in it.how long does it take to get an exemption do you know.if i ring them up will they be able to tell me

This is an issue which can not be decided by your FE college since your Higher Cert was awarded by HETAC and not FETAC. Your college will have to refer the matter to FETAC unless they have advanced QA procedures agreed with FETAC and thus can make a decision without referral.

You will have to provide the FETAC Co-ordinator in your college with all the transcripts/results of the Higher Cert course and they will have to apply to FETAC for it to be considered instead of the FETAC Level 5. While on the surface it looks like a cut and dried decision the Higher Cert module must match the aims of the FETAC module and result in the same amount of time spent and work submitted as the FETAC module. This is something that you should have been advised to do at the start of the year. It is not a quick process.

Re not getting anything only 3 days each week I would advise you to take whatever placement you can get in the industry as work or a job may come of it and if you don't not get your exemption then you can build up your days during Easter holidays or at weekends. I am aware in some FE colleges that if you don't go out on placement for the period allocated by the college you will be marked absent for the duration unless you attend classes or complete a in-house placement.

Good points FurtherEd, I missed the bit about level 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

Hi Seems to be a lot of tutors on this thread so i hope someone could advise me. I'm currently working with a girl with a learning disability who is interested in working in a creche eventually as a childcare assistant.

I know there is a Fetac qualifacation necessery for this but i'm wondering what is the entry level she could start. I'm not sure she could manage Fetac level 5 also why would the steps she would need to take to get a job in her chosen career. I'm only a student myself so i'm not to sure what direction to take

Thanks

Hello
    Could she see undertake one module at a time on FETAC Childcare as with new ECCE scheme all childcare practitioners must hold A FETAC 5 in childcare by 2012.

Advertisement