Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Speed Ramps - Rush, Co Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

That very funny man Pat Kenny calls us Rushians cause we have so many eastern europeans living here, or so he quiped on his Radio show a few years. I think he is worth every penny of his 650,000 euro pay.

Just to point out about using Eirgrid as an alternative revenue stream to pay for repairs to ramps, you do know at the end of the day their just going to pass the cost along the line to the consumer in the form of higher energy bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I meant using the money they ring fenced for the towns and villages along the route.

LeoB wrote: »
    I meant using the money they ring fenced for the towns and villages along the route.

What the 90,000 euros ring fenced for Rush?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    What the 90,000 euros ring fenced for Rush?

Not 100% sure of status of these funds. I believe it was promised to Rush but then it was for a few towns/villages on or near the route but as you say that will probably cost us a lot more down the road.

With a lot of poles being erected is this not a good oppertunity to get the cables underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Not 100% sure of status of these funds. I believe it was promised to Rush but then it was for a few towns/villages on or near the route but as you say that will probably cost us a lot more down the road.

With a lot of poles being erected is this not a good oppertunity to get the cables underground?

Madness, you really should stop posting things youre 'not 100%' about.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why?

Not being 100% on things, but typing regardless is how rumours start.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not being 100% on things, but typing regardless is how rumours start.
    You need to separate speculation (which is typically uninformed and frowned upon here) from informed opinion/statements (which is generally fine)

There are plenty of things stated here that posters cannot be 100% sure about - however provided they state that (as LeoB did), it has some credible source (in this case there was an earlier thread indicating the funds would be available) and does not contravene any boards or forum rules, there is generally no problem stating something like this

No madness at all. I am not 100% sure how the roads will be in the morning but I would say they will be dangerous when I head out at 4.45am, Is it ok to post that?

€90,000 was allocated by EirGrid but there was confusion about where the money was going. Rush C.C. tried to negotiate a better deal and just maybe some of that money could be used to repair the damaged ramps and/or put cables underground. and while they are at it maybe change the horrible orange stree lights and replace them with some decent ones, like they have done along the quays in Dublin

No madness at all. I am not 100% sure how the roads will be in the morning but I would say they will be dangerous when I head out at 4.45am, Is it ok to post that?

Given the fact that RTE have forecasted +2 as being the max temp tomorrow, Id say plough on boss :)

• Advertisement

Latest update on speedramps. 09/12/10 Balbriggan/Swords Committee Meeting.

http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcasts/activity_id/49422

13 mins in, discussion on 6 more speed ramps from Kilbush Lane, going past Golden Ridge on the Skerries Rd. Update on damaged ramps discussion, basically still in discussion with the original contractors.

I thought that Cllr McKeon and Cllr Daly made valid points especially the need to deal with speed and driving culture rather than build speed ramps as the perception is that Rush has more speed ramps than anywhere else!

Zero tolerance traffic policing might be a better way to change driving culture. Positive to hear that the RCC has indicated to FCC that Rush has too many ramps now.

Latest update on speedramps. 09/12/10 Balbriggan/Swords Committee Meeting.

http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcasts/activity_id/49422

13 mins in, discussion on 6 more speed ramps from Kilbush Lane, going past Golden Ridge on the Skerries Rd. Update on damaged ramps discussion, basically still in discussion with the original contractors.

I thought that Cllr McKeon and Cllr Daly made valid points especially the need to deal with speed and driving culture rather than build speed ramps as the perception is that Rush has more speed ramps than anywhere else!

Zero tolerance traffic policing might be a better way to change driving culture. Positive to hear that the RCC has indicated to FCC that Rush has too many ramps now.

I actually think we need more speed ramps but think where we place them is the important thing to consider. On the Lower Main St some nights it is like a race track. I have suggested to Fingal C.C that they put ramps close to the entrance of the estates on the street. There have been a few minor tips but I feel it is only a matter of time before we have another serious accident like the one last year at the Harbour when a car ploughed into a house. The south shore Rd has become a rat run for speeding cars and I know some resident down there who would like to see a few ramps.

I have reported a car coming from the Harbour every morning about 5.45 - 6am and how they have not killled someone is beyond me. The street is fairly busy at that time

I would also be in favour of a zero tolerance approach to speeding and today I saw 2 cars pulled by Gardái at different times in different parts of Rush,the first time I have seen this in a while. One actually where they propose to put ramps at Golden ridge and we all know the Skerries Rd is a road where there is a problem with speed. .

I have reported a car coming from the Harbour every morning about 5.45 - 6am and how they have not killled someone is beyond me. The street is fairly busy at that time

Answered your own question there Leo babes, even the main street isn't 'busy' until around the 8:15am mark. What you said about Skerries Road is true though.

What I wish they'd actually do something about is the bladin footpaths from the train station. Theres some points where the path isn't much more than 2 feet wide, it can get grizzly bear hairy sometimes when trucks do be flyin past me.

edit: There was a fella livin in Knockabawn down around the harbour. He'd come flyin into the Cul De Sac and the residents werent happy, he was reported and the Gards sorted him out with a fine and I think a ban..

Commuter traffic approaching and leaving the town is a problem. just look at the wacky races leaving Rush in the mornings. All the traffic from the estates on the Skerries Rd is funnelled through the town unless you take the rat run by the GAA or backtrack past Balldongan on to the Lusk-Skerries Rd. This area of NCD is extremely poorly serviced by main roads. Also that extra 5 mins in bed for the sleepy heads has to be made up on the road somewhere. A couple of early morning checkpoints would help but then you get complaints from others that they were held up on their way to work.

Boy racers- a problem in the evening, one of the main reasons why they went speed ramp happy on the Channel Rd which has just moved the problem to the Skerries Rd. Now they just race between the ramps on the Channel Rd, it must give them good practice for the standing start races. A few zero tolerance check points in the evening and scrutiny of the modifications of the cars for the odd illegal gas cannister that might have been hooked up or excessive noisey exhausts perhaps.

Remember all this money for speed ramps around Rush most likely comes out of any budget for repair of foot paths, lights or roads around Rush. So your in a vicious circle that you encourage people to drive the kids up to the GAA because it not safe or the footpath to the station isn't safe so you get dropped off at the station. I know myself I would much rather have a well lit footpath up to the GAA than 13! speed ramps on the Channel Rd. Seems the speed ramps solved nothing, they just moved the problem on to other parts of the town and best of all due to damage to the ramps more money will be spent to repair them or the shocks to our cars.

I totally agree about the comments about the foot path to the Railway station. Some work was done in the past to widen it in places but it needs further improvement and policing of the traffic speeds on the road. It all comes down to better policing and an improvement in driving culture but for the moment people seem to think speed ramps will solve all our problems.

Commuter traffic approaching and leaving the town is a problem. just look at the wacky races leaving Rush in the mornings. All the traffic from the estates on the Skerries Rd is funnelled through the town unless you take the rat run by the GAA or backtrack past Balldongan on to the Lusk-Skerries Rd. This area of NCD is extremely poorly serviced by main roads. Also that extra 5 mins in bed for the sleepy heads has to be made up on the road somewhere. A couple of early morning checkpoints would help but then you get complaints from others that they were held up on their way to work.

Boy racers- a problem in the evening, one of the main reasons why they went speed ramp happy on the Channel Rd which has just moved the problem to the Skerries Rd. Now they just race between the ramps on the Channel Rd, it must give them good practice for the standing start races. A few zero tolerance check points in the evening and scrutiny of the modifications of the cars for the odd illegal gas cannister that might have been hooked up or excessive noisey exhausts perhaps.

Remember all this money for speed ramps around Rush most likely comes out of any budget for repair of foot paths, lights or roads around Rush. So your in a vicious circle that you encourage people to drive the kids up to the GAA because it not safe or the footpath to the station isn't safe so you get dropped off at the station. I know myself I would much rather have a well lit footpath up to the GAA than 13! speed ramps on the Channel Rd. Seems the speed ramps solved nothing, they just moved the problem on to other parts of the town and best of all due to damage to the ramps more money will be spent to repair them or the shocks to our cars.

I totally agree about the comments about the foot path to the Railway station. Some work was done in the past to widen it in places but it needs further improvement and policing of the traffic speeds on the road. It all comes down to better policing and an improvement in driving culture but for the moment people seem to think speed ramps will solve all our problems.

I have lobbied for years for a footpath linking Kenure and St. Catherines/clifflands area to G.A.A club, probably 20 years contacting local reps. It would take traffic off the roads and give kids a chance to go up and play any number of sports catered for In St. Maurs.
    Answered your own question there Leo babes, even the main street isn't 'busy' until around the 8:15am mark. What you said about Skerries Road is true though.

What I wish they'd actually do something about is the bladin footpaths from the train station. Theres some points where the path isn't much more than 2 feet wide, it can get grizzly bear hairy sometimes when trucks do be flyin past me.

Please explain your first paragraph:confused: The point is the main st is getting busy earlier and earlier. I remember starting work at 7.45 and a handful of cars would go by now I am walking up the road these past 3 weeks at 5am and I have been suprised at the amount of traffic and remember it does'nt need to be busy to have a serious accident.

On the footpaths. One big problem is there is no maintainence of the paths. They done a good job rebuilding these paths a few years ago. If one of the street sweeps could be used, the type that is like a big lawnmower to actually clean the muck away. The path is getting narrower because the ditch/bank is gradually edging out accross the path.

I have lobbied for years for a footpath linking Kenure and St. Catherines/clifflands area to G.A.A club, probably 20 years contacting local reps. It would take traffic off the roads and give kids a chance to go up and play any number of sports catered for In St. Maurs.

Todays Meeting of Swords/Balbriggan Commitee

15.15 mins in, mention of upgrade of Park RD to facilitate St Josephs beside St Maurs GAA. Good Barney too between the two Labour Cllrs for the area.

http://connect.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/site/player/pl_v7.php?a=49691&t=0&m=wm&l=en_GB

Did Mr Byrne go on a bit of a solo run at a recent meeting in Rush? I believe he was jeered out of it. He is certainly not very popular in Rush and I would not be a fan. The park Rd is a death trap especially in wet weather.

As for the upgrade of Palmer Rd.......... There has been no upgrade of Palmer Rd apart from where the road was widened to facilitate the building of 300 houses over the last 6 years. But Fingal have done nothing to improve the road from Palmer Avenue to G.A.A club so Mr. O'Connor might need to re visit the area.

Joe Corr former Green Cllr pushed very hard for the upgrade of the Park rd with a view to building a new secondary school. St. Maurs made amendment and some proposals re the siting of the school and and the proposed green/open/playing area. The proposal from St. Maurs would have seen The school given full use of the changing rooms at St. Maurs and St. Maurs getting use of a playing area within the school grounds. St. Maurs would then have given up use of their pitch in St Catherines to another club, Rush Athletic. The proposed new school under a new scheme rolled out in Dublin 15 about 3 years ago where part of the school is given up for use to the local community after 6.30 each evening.

Its amazing how what started as a few faulty ramps in Rush seems to be a country wide issue with ramps not fit for purpose. The cost of the ramps is mind boggling when you consider that one road in particular has 13 ramps. I still get woke up late at night by boy racers and speeding mini buses so the ramps are still not working when in full repair and now we will have to pay for constant repair.:mad:

Evening Herald
    By Niall O'Connor

Thursday August 04 2011

MORE than 150 of the city's crumbling speed ramps are set to be replaced -- at a cost to the taxpayer of €210,000.
    The ramps, installed 12 years ago, have been deteriorating for some time. Dublin city council officials admit the cause of the damage is a mystery.
    Taxpayers are set to foot the bill for the replacement and repair of 156 red speed ramps across the city.
    AA Roadwatch has found that many of the ramps have eroded at an alarming rate, leaving motorists prone to large and dangerous potholes.
    Although all the ramps were installed less than 12 years ago, Dublin City Council today said that it has not provided motorists with a "satisfactory service".
    A spokesperson for Dublin City Council admitted that the cause of the extensive damage was still unknown.

Weather
    "We do not know with certainty the root cause of the poor performance of the impressed red asphalt in the ramps.
    "It may be inadequate specification, inadequate construction, unforeseen wear and tear, extraordinary weather events or a combination of all four."
    Council officials will begin to replace the ramps with black alternatives in August.
    Each 4.5 metre speed ramp costs the council around €4,000 to install while 10-metre long ramps, which are used mainly on bus routes, cost €8,000 each.
    Fianna Fail councillor Paul McAuliffe told the Herald that the ramps in their current state are posing a danger to motorists.
    "Many ramps, particularly on the North side were only installed six years ago. In many cases, they resemble the surface of a rally track rather than a public road," he said.
    "Many of them are worn away on either side of the ramp by cars seeking to avoid the ramp. It's a real danger to motorists using the road."
    Independent councillor Cieran Perry told the Herald: "I would hope that the new ramps have been tested and are durable enough to withstand the type of weather we had last winter.
    "The council should not be subsidising this, we're talking about sorting out the national road infrastructure and the full cost should be borne by the Dept of the Environment."
    In a report last year, the city council admitted that a number of the red speed ramps had "not lasted well... the general situation is that many of the red asphalt ramps are ravelling, particularly where traffic is heavy".

On the footpaths. One big problem is there is no maintainence of the paths. They done a good job rebuilding these paths a few years ago. If one of the street sweeps could be used, the type that is like a big lawnmower to actually clean the muck away. The path is getting narrower because the ditch/bank is gradually edging out accross the path.

If you are driving towards Lusk you will see the council are cleaning the paths as we stated here last year. The path is now about 12 24inchs wider, and safer
    Its amazing how what started as a few faulty ramps in Rush seems to be a country wide issue with ramps not fit for purpose. The cost of the ramps is mind boggling when you consider that one road in particular has 13 ramps. I still get woke up late at night by boy racers and speeding mini buses so the ramps are still not working when in full repair and now we will have to pay for constant repair.:mad:

Evening Herald

Funny this thread raising its head again. Just last week I saw about 5 or 6 lads in high viz coats and clip boards looking at the ramps on Whitestown Rd and Channel Rd. Wonder what the final bill will be IF they repair or replace them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

..council officials admit the cause of the damage is a mystery.
    ..Council admitted that the cause of the extensive damage was still unknown.
    ..Council today said that it has not provided motorists with a "satisfactory service".

So they have no idea of the cause or benefit, and the best plan is; lets try and again and see if they last this time............jeeze. :rolleyes: :(:confused:
    Council officials will begin to replace the ramps with black alternatives in August. Each 4.5 metre speed ramp costs the council around €4,000 to install while 10-metre long ramps, which are used mainly on bus routes, cost €8,000 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 springbug

Ramps on main roads are illegal and dublin county council are currently before the courts with many claims against them, apart from damage caused to cars, they cause burst oil sumps which makes the road surface dangerous for other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Advertisement