Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Speed Ramps - Rush, Co Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well a few things to say.

firstly the contractor like any company have a warrantly over there work. ususally only a year. these ramps are now i would imagine the councils problem.

also these stamped red asphalt ramps/bumps are relatively new technology. i suppese they worked in other contries possibly without such a range of weather. unfortunatley they did not wok out well here ( how ever i dont not personally think they were installed 100%. i have worked on various road projects and using the minimum specs for theose roads i dont thin our cushion/ramps adhere to it)

and finally. i was talking to a local TD .He told me FCC has the money and he said they have a budget of like 250 million euro. He said they have more money today than they did 3 years ago. and this year they never made a program of works. and this in my understanding is why nothing is being done.
    i am open to correction as i am only saying what i have been told froma politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

I'd have to disagree with you there Alan. Regardless of whom FCC employed, they are responsible. If you checked into a hotel and the sheets/towels were of very poor quality, you'd hold the hotel responsible, not the linen supplier.

I accept that some matters only arise with time but I, as an unqualified private citizen, see things all the time which are incorrect, irregular or illegal. Surely qualified FCC engineers can spot this and refuse to 'sign off' on work done by private contractors.

Hi Wishbone, missed your post. I was not suggesting that the Council have no responsibility, I was suggesting that a county wide investigation is to take place and it would be premature to judge the results of this investigation before it happens.

I didn't suggest that the material used were substandard when installed, therefore your hotel example doesn't work with this particular example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Can I buck the trend and actually ask for the removal of some of the ramps around Rush? I at one time use to work in Ballyfermot were local residents would tell you about the high amount of car crime and joy riding in the area. So the council brought in speed ramps to combat this, did Rush have the same issue? I dont remember the gardai chopper flying over much trying to chase down car thieves like in Ballyfermot. But Rush now certainly has more speed ramps than Ballyfermot. More isn't always good especially considering they have to be maintained and repaired each year! Good placement is more important.

its not always about car crime.

some parts of rush are narrow and it reduces the speed.

but i would like to see some repair work as the one at the bustop at the church is a nightmare to get over it. my car can straddle it and there is a bit missing. if there is traffic i have to go real close to the wall. very hard to navigate that section.

removal i dont think is necessary. repair definately is.

and as alan said its a country wide problem. the old tarmac ramps around the city are holding up well its these red ramps are really gone to the dogs. everywhere

Martron wrote: »
    its not always about car crime.

some parts of rush are narrow and it reduces the speed.

Well the two main areas of overkill the Whitestown rd or the Channel rd could never be called narrow. I would much rather have a policing presence in the mornings to stop the wacky races from Rush to Blakes Cross when all the sleepy heads get up late for work.

• Advertisement

well you can hardly race in the morning to blakes cross!

Ohh some very talented buddying Formula one racers in this area dont you know! Some haven't worked what the double white line down the centre is for or what an indicator is but when they spot a gap .......

The Lusk bypass after the nursing home is a favourite with alot of them. The Garda do a speed check the odd time during the day but 7-9am would be ideal. In the UK the various policing districts get to keep the money from the speed cameras to fund there costs. Nice incentive for them.........perhaps we should do the same here.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Ohh some very talented buddying Formula one racers in this area dont you know! Some haven't worked what the double white line down the centre is for or what an indicator is but when they spot a gap .......

The Lusk bypass after the nursing home is a favourite with alot of them. The Garda do a speed check the odd time during the day but 7-9am would be ideal. In the UK the various policing districts get to keep the money from the speed cameras to fund there costs. Nice incentive for them.........perhaps we should do the same here.

yeah its hard to know what to do . garda presence is a good deterant . but again its not a high priority i would imgine in there eyes because pedestrian safety is the reason for the low limits in these areas. so the risk or pedstrian accident on the lusk bypass is fairly low in fairness.

i know the main road is 80 kph. and is ropey road but there is nowhere really where a speed trap could be set up . possible at the furniture shop.

but anyway. i dont think its a viable option to remove the ramps. its justs as easy to repair the ramps with proven material that lasts as long as it does in other parts of the city . rather than taking ramps up. ( probably equal amounts of work involved but no need removing safety equipment because of a very small maintainance fee ( well its large at the minute becasue they need replacing but using the right material will make it low maintainace)

I am not asking for all of them to be removed, just some of them were they have gone overkill. Parts of Rush look like someone bought a job lot of speed ramps and they had to stuff the last few somewhere. Remove the ramps that arn't needed.

Anyway most of the accidents in Rush seem to be in the main street or on the Rush-Lusk or Rush- Skerries Rds so surely we should be putting more
    preventive measures there rather than in the areas with lower rates.

Perhaps are councillor friend that posts here can provide us with the accident figures on the Channel Road which required I think 8 speed ramps, surely they used statistical information before going to such large capital expense to ensure our money was well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Try the Main Street any morning from 5.30. The speed is frightening. Cars ignoring red lights. It beats me how we have not had lives lost. I would gladly accept a ramp around where I live.

• Advertisement

i dont really see people objections to speed bumps/cushions in any built up area. you can do any speed anyway . and as leo said people skip the red lights at the extravision. all times during the day. speed bumps will stop that.

funnily ennough the best speed killer is the parked cars outside walshs.

anyway beside the point some of the bumps are in desperate condition. was on to fingal about it. and as alan farrel said fingal are aware of the problem.

(have to say i am quite impressed with fingal lately. goes to show what a few emails can do, especially when yyou follow them up)

i meant to say you cant tdo any speed during the day anywaY.
    ( IT WONT LET ME EDIT THE OTHER POST FOR SOME REASON) ah caps. jaypers

Sounds like the garda should do a few early morning stings at the lights in the main street. Breaking red lights is a criminal issue after all.

And it goes back to my point that its like the wacky races leaving Rush in the mornings. Some people think the speed limit is like a bus lane, only exists between the hours of 9-7. The speed ramps are really a cop out(pardon the pun) better policing of speeding during the main communte hours of 530-930am is what is needed.

The Gardái done some speed checks down on the Lr. Main St a few years ago and it slowed cars down quite a bit but it really seeems bad at the moment. Last weekend in particular was the worst in about 2 years.

The channel Rd needed something done as it was like a speedway by times and since these ramps have gone in the problem has moved to South Shore Rd.

Nothing beats a Garda presence and if they were doing it and getting to keep some of the money for new and better equipment like the U.K I am pretty sure we would see results pretty quick. Apart from speeding fines culprits should also have their name in the paper.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sounds like the garda should do a few early morning stings at the lights in the main street. Breaking red lights is a criminal issue after all.

And it goes back to my point that its like the wacky races leaving Rush in the mornings. Some people think the speed limit is like a bus lane, only exists between the hours of 9-7. The speed ramps are really a cop out(pardon the pun) better policing of speeding during the main communte hours of 530-930am is what is needed.

surely speed bumps would negate the need for speed policing as cars would not be able to speed over them . as for the main road although you say its like a race you rarely get about 60 in the mornings on that road.

the main problem is that road is not wide enough and there is many bends which people cut. the one at the mill boils my blood as people drive straight towards oncoming traffic to skimm a few metres off the turn.

also buses stop and block people. there is no way of enforcing the speed on that road safely unless you install a fixed camera. the garda presence in rush really has increased recently but maybe ita a matter of time untiol they task gards to do more speed checks.

The naming and shaming of offenders is a good idea but i think you be surprised by some of the names caught out! I will await the headline in the local rag complaining how the humiliation of getting caught when they had an emergency has put peoples jobs in jeopardy. Not there lack of ability to plan there journey properly and safely while also putting there fellow citizens safety at risk. A certain amount of social responsibility rests with each individual. So complain to the garda that people are breaking lights before someone cuts a car in half some morning! As Leo said last time the Garda did speed checks he noticed the change. To borrow from the english "'Nothing beats the bobby on the beat"

Nothing like having your name in the Fingal Indo to take the wind out of their sails.

At the time we had speed checks down here a number of residents complained and something was done about it. We now have a dedicated traffic corps based in Santry I think and I am sure a few calls would would see results.

I wrote to a number of T.Ds and Fingal C.C and suggested ramps be put close to the entrance of the estates on Main St as I felt and still feel someone is going to badly hurt trying to get out of one of these. The speed I see in the morning is just frightening. I am in work about 5.50am and cars, vans and lorries go speeding up the street. The ramp on the Main St is to far away from the traffic lights imo should be about 40 meters closer and their should be one at the entrance to the Mall on Skerries Rd and one outside the Michael Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone knows whether there are any plans yet to sort out the ramps in Rush yet ?

I haven't heard anything, do the speed ramps in Garristown I noticed are in a worse state so it must be a whole Fingal wide problem. The Channel Rd needs a 3ton restriction in the area to reduce the damage from the heavy trucks hitting them at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Fingal county councils problem:P:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Cassidy28 wrote: »

My problem too, just failed my NCT on front shocks.
    Not saying the ramps are to blame, but as I rattle over them several times a day, I'm sure they didn't help in any way. ;)

Cassidy28 wrote: »

You mean the taxpayers problem?

its a country wide problem.

that type of red asphalt is coming up all over the country.

there is another type of red asphalt that is way tougher. not sure why it needed to be red in the first place. anyway it looks crap now.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Just bumping this thread to see if anyone knows whether there are any plans yet to sort out the ramps in Rush yet ?

Depends on how much Eirgrid stump up.

Worth raising again with local reps.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeoB wrote: »
    Depends on how much Eirgrid stump up.
    Has Eirgrid money been specifically allocated to this?

Beasty wrote: »
    Has Eirgrid money been specifically allocated to this?

Not as far as I know!!! Tongue in cheek remark:(.. As Fingal like every other council in the country are pretty much skint the more EirGrid have to pay for road opening licences the better chance there is of Fingal carrying out repairs.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the money allocated by Eirgrid for the area.

i dont think road opening licenses generate that much income.as i dont think they cost that much. ( open to correction)

but i heard (when i was sorting out other council business) that fingal had a large amount of availible funding but had no works schedule programmed.

I have always found fingal to be quite respnsive to the requests of the public. i have howver inquired about the bumps and heard nothing back. mind you i forgot to follow it up .

i reckon this winter will definately be the end of the one outside the church, and the one at centra is nearly rubbed out altogether too. they are still functioning as obstacles but they look a disgrace.

Good job done up your way. Place looks really well. I expect to see you out now with the green gloves and straw hat come next Spring!!!!

LeoB wrote: »
    Good job done up your way. Place looks really well. I expect to see you out now with the green gloves and straw hat come next Spring!!!!

ha i sure will be . well i will try anyway....... few people have to brought on board. but i tell you one thing its a load of my mind if it was not done before the budget gods knows what would have happened.

but this is proof that if you dont ask you wont get. fingal as a publuic organisation seem to be fairly good.......

sure maybe we can set up a campaign to resurface the speed bumps....... but i think the hot tar is a health hazard and might cause hysteria. just kidding. :D

but i think we could as a group of Rushonians ( Rusholites had not got a good ring to it) could put in a request to at least have them surveyed and put on the schedule of works at least.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Martron wrote: »
    but i think we could as a group of Rushonians ( Rusholites had not got a good ring to it)
    I had always assumed you lot were Rushians...:D

Advertisement