Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Women

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Woah, woah, woah, the men of today bear no responsibility for the institutionalised sexism of the past.

In fact in the old times women also believed these things as much as men and were raised by their mothers to believe it, and today in the middle east there are also women who beleive that this kind of culture is the correct male/female dynamic.

Im not saying it is right Im just saying that historically men did not hatch an intricate plot to oppress women against their will, it came about through culture and was propogated by women as much as men, both male and female attitudes changed towards this at relatively the same time (yes women fought for it, but you can be sure they were supported by a great many men aswell)

....and most importantly you cannot use it to put down men of today, its not our fault, just as slavery wasnt our fault, or any other historical wrong peratrated by a similar demographic in a different time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

PK2008 wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah, the men of today bear no responsibility for the institutionalised sexism of the past.

In fact in the old times women also believed these things as much as men and were raised by their mothers to believe it, and today in the middle east there are also women who beleive that this kind of culture is the correct male/female dynamic.

Im not saying it is right Im just saying that historically men did not hatch an intricate plot to oppress women against their will, it came about through culture and was propogated by women as much as men, both male and female attitudes changed towards this at relatively the same time (yes women fought for it, but you can be sure they were supported by a great many men aswell)

....and most importantly you cannot use it to put down men of today, its not our fault, just as slavery wasnt our fault, or any other historical wrong peratrated by a similar demographic in a different time

Fine, conceded on the history thing, but that doesn't make the rest of my post any less valid. Nor does it justify what's happening.

But anyway, here's the "revised" with the history bits removed, if it moves the argument on at all:

"You're sitting there acting like every kind of discrimination men get is something women don't. I hate to break it to you, mate, but we have to deal with what this thread's about ON TOP of all the other things you guys are complaining about. Look at adverts. Magazines. Newspapers. Television. Film. In the media, each gender is equally made to look either retarded or sexualized. Neither gender has a monopoly on discrimination in media.

So honestly? No. Your argument is not going to work here. It holds no water. And this is just too much. Men don't get this. This does not happen to you. Not on this scale."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Every time you laugh at or tell a joke where women are demeaned, every time you believe or express a belief that women are not capable of doing something as well as men purely because of their sex... you are contributing to the continued discrimination of women. Doesn't matter if you didn't actually chain them to the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I think there are two issues combined in this topic, the first being are offensive jokes kosher and the second being why in particular are men embracing these anti-women jokes.

Personally speaking the first one I am all for, generally anyone I have ever found that has complained about one type of joke being offensive will have always laughed at another joke as equally offensive but not as personally related to them, this is just personal discrimination on the individuals part. I think if you are willing to laugh at any offensive joke then you can't complain when some jokes are personally offensive to you.

The second part I think is men's reaction to modern western society, again this is all speaking from my own personal experience it has been socially acceptable to bash men and make sexist comments about men, if a man did the same then he would be labelled sexist and a misogynist so for the last number of years women have been made these comments and it is seen as socially acceptable so if it is acceptable for men to be bashed and we are living in a supposedly equal society then surely the reverse is true and it is okay for men to joke about these obviously sexist jokes?

I know most women will say that they are the ones that have to put up with these sorts of jokes more often than men but from my own personal experience this is most definitely not the case, I work in financial services over the past 6 years and without fail I have received comments on a weekly if not daily basis that would be considered sexist and misandry but I don't take it personally as I will laugh about all sorts of offensive jokes so it would be hypocritical of me to get annoyed over these jokes made at my expense.

Every time you laugh at or tell a joke where women are demeaned, every time you believe or express a belief that women are not capable of doing something as well as men purely because of their sex... you are contributing to the continued discrimination of women. Doesn't matter if you didn't actually chain them to the kitchen sink.

Have you ever laughed at an offensive joke? any sort of divisive joke at all? making fun of men ? race ? nationality ?

If you have then you are being hypocritical.

To me the fact that there are so many anti-women jokes around I actually see as being a good sign of equality in society. Men will make offensive jokes about anything, every topic is open for derision, if you really want men to not tell jokes about women then you want women to be treated differently because of their gender, which is the complete opposite of equality.

The only option is not have any offensive jokes in the world at all, in which case I think you are being unrealistic as everyone I have met has laughed at a joke that would be offensive to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Honestly, you can't reduce this stuff to the level of an offensive joke. It goes a lot deeper than that. Would you expect a black man to laugh at a joke demeaning him because he is black? Why would you expect a woman to find this stuff funny?

By your argument, racism would make our society more equal. It doesn't. And passing it off as a harmless joke is not right.

Yes I would expect a black man to laugh at a racist joke, I see it all the time, watch a Chris Rock or Richard Pryor performance and you will see them make racist comments all the time, both against white and black people.

The entire point of it being a joke is that it is not real, the fact that people who would genuinely have these viewpoints is the butt of the joke.

I make jokes and laugh about jokes that would be considered personal issues about myself all the time, I constantly am the butt of my own jokes and not a day goes by where I don't make a self deprecating joke in work.

You say it goes a lot deeper than that, well that might go a lot deeper to you so I will ask you directly the question, have you ever laughed at a joke that could be considered offensive to anyone? never a racist joke ? a joke about men ? nationalities ? anything like that?

No, I rarely laugh at all. And you give examples like Chris Rock and Richard Pryor, but seriously, they don't speak for all black men. There are black men who would be offended, and there are women who are offended by sexism.

If Chris Rock was white you can be damn sure he wouldnt have left any of his shows alive

This isnt women joking about women, its men joking about women i.e oppressor and oppressed, which is closer to a white comic making racist jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If Chris Rock was white you can be damn sure he wouldnt have left any of his shows alive

This isnt women joking about women, its men joking about women i.e oppressor and oppressed, which is closer to a white comic making racist jokes

No not really considering females aren't a race. And the idea that only a woman can tell jokes about women smacks of double standards.

• Advertisement

So you are telling me the act itself is not to be judged but by who is doing it? so its okay for a woman to make a joke about a woman but a man to make a joke about a woman is sexist?

This is exactly the problem with "positive discrimination" in america, men are no longer oppressing women, both genders are treated equally under the law, there are individual cases of discrimination and that possibility can happen to both men and women equally. Your point about Chris Rock proves this, you said if he was white he would not have left alive, but he and other black comedians can make all the jokes they want about white people and use terms like "honkey" and "cracker" but its "okay" because they are black and we all know that racism is a one way street, its only racism when a white man oppresses a black man and not the other way around.

There are jokes out there about women, there are also as many jokes out there about men. You can't complain about one if you still laugh at any other jokes considered offensive to someone and the simple fact is that someone out there will be offended by some jokes.

Angus Og you said you rarely laugh at all, so what jokes have you laughed at ? have you ever gone to a stand up act or have you ever watched one on DVD if you have i would like to know what it was because i find it almost highly unlikely that you have never laughed at any joke someone would find offensive so if you have and you consider that joke okay but any of these anti-women jokes to be bad then you are a hypocrite.

No, as I said, I rarely laugh. You may find it highly unlikely, but that's the way it is. The problem with your argument is that anyone can find anything offensive if they like, and and anyone can consider anything to be a joke or not a joke if they feel like it.

I don't find sexist jokes funny, whether they are aimed at women or men, but that's just me. I'm a pretty dour person with hardly any sense of humour.

For me the debate is over anyway, since it's really just becoming a nit-picking competition. The original topic was about making fun of violence towards women. I don't find violence amusing.

That is the second time you used the word "rarely" rather than saying that you "never" laugh so are you admitting there have been times you have laughed at some jokes that could be considered offensive?

Thats not a problem with my argument, that is core point of my argument, nearly any joke told there is probably someone out there in the world that will be offended by it, to say that it is not okay to make a joke about women but that you are willing to laugh at a joke at the expense of the english/blacks/disabled/etc is purely hypocritical, and the fact is that people laugh at jokes, I think the vast majority of people will have laughed at an offensive joke in their lives so while you can choose which jokes you find funny its pretty arrogant to try and force your own individual tastes in jokes upon everyone else.

When I see some foreign comedian making a joke at the expense of the Irish do i laugh? depends upon how good it is, will i ever get offended? not likely at all.

Okay so you don't find violence amusing, then what do you find amusing? can you think of three times you laughed your ass off at a joke and if so what were those jokes because i reckon they could be offensive to someone.

Maguined wrote: »
    So you are telling me the act itself is not to be judged but by who is doing it? so its okay for a woman to make a joke about a woman but a man to make a joke about a woman is sexist?

This is exactly the problem with "positive discrimination" in america, men are no longer oppressing women, both genders are treated equally under the law, there are individual cases of discrimination and that possibility can happen to both men and women equally. Your point about Chris Rock proves this, you said if he was white he would not have left alive, but he and other black comedians can make all the jokes they want about white people and use terms like "honkey" and "cracker" but its "okay" because they are black and we all know that racism is a one way street, its only racism when a white man oppresses a black man and not the other way around.

There are jokes out there about women, there are also as many jokes out there about men. You can't complain about one if you still laugh at any other jokes considered offensive to someone and the simple fact is that someone out there will be offended by some jokes.

Angus Og you said you rarely laugh at all, so what jokes have you laughed at ? have you ever gone to a stand up act or have you ever watched one on DVD if you have i would like to know what it was because i find it almost highly unlikely that you have never laughed at any joke someone would find offensive so if you have and you consider that joke okay but any of these anti-women jokes to be bad then you are a hypocrite.

Yeh exactly, im not saying its right, Im just saying it is what it is, black people can use the N word when they like with each other but if a white guy says it to them he will get his a55 kicked. Yep double standards but thats just the way it is.

DarkJager wrote: »
    No not really considering females aren't a race. And the idea that only a woman can tell jokes about women smacks of double standards.

Well technically theres only 1 race, the human race but Im sure you know what I mean

Yeh exactly, im not saying its right, Im just saying it is what it is, black people can use the N word when they like with each other but if a white guy says it to them he will get his a55 kicked. Yep double standards but thats just the way it is.

The way it is currently does not justify its legitimacy, men are constantly bashed in the media as much as women are so to complain about women bashing jokes is to perpetuate the double standards.

Women are not dainty little delicate flowers that need to be protected from the world, they are to be treated the equal as men, part of that equality is that they are going to get bashed by jokes equally as often as men are. To suggest they should be treated differently because of their gender so we cannot joke about them is a step backwards in my opinion.

That is the second time you used the word "rarely" rather than saying that you "never" laugh so are you admitting there have been times you have laughed at some jokes that could be considered offensive?

Thats not a problem with my argument, that is core point of my argument, nearly any joke told there is probably someone out there in the world that will be offended by it, to say that it is not okay to make a joke about women but that you are willing to laugh at a joke at the expense of the english/blacks/disabled/etc is purely hypocritical, and the fact is that people laugh at jokes, I think the vast majority of people will have laughed at an offensive joke in their lives so while you can choose which jokes you find funny its pretty arrogant to try and force your own individual tastes in jokes upon everyone else.

When I see some foreign comedian making a joke at the expense of the Irish do i laugh? depends upon how good it is, will i ever get offended? not likely at all.

Okay so you don't find violence amusing, then what do you find amusing? can you think of three times you laughed your ass off at a joke and if so what were those jokes because i reckon they could be offensive to someone.

No, that's a problem with your argument, as it means anyone can be offended, just because it suits them. I do not believe for one second that women are offended by such 'jokes' because it suits them, they're offended because they feel like they are being attacked for being female.

I have already seen posts with people saying it's fine because men suffer sexism. Unfortunately for them, two wrongs don't make a right.

The last joke I laughed at was 'Why did the chicken cross the road?" I'm sure you will find some way to be offended by that joke, but it is not the same as having a picture of a woman with a black eye, and putting a caption under it.

You obviously laugh a lot, but that is you, not me. You are assuming that I am like you, and find these things funny. Do you laugh at violence against women? I cannot understand how such things even qualify as a joke, so you must be able to understand why I do not laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Made me think of this, skip to 2 minutes in. But in this context the guy is meant to be from a time when women were very opressed

The way it is currently does not justify its legitimacy, men are constantly bashed in the media as much as women are so to complain about women bashing jokes is to perpetuate the double standards.

Women are not dainty little delicate flowers that need to be protected from the world, they are to be treated the equal as men, part of that equality is that they are going to get bashed by jokes equally as often as men are. To suggest they should be treated differently because of their gender so we cannot joke about them is a step backwards in my opinion.

Hold on you're giving out about men being bashed in the media so you think that the solution is to bash women. 2 wrongs do not make equality. If men are being bashed in the media then maybe men should speak out about cos its wrong, just as women being bashed in the media is wrong. i think men just dont speak out about it in the same organised way women do because we never had to organise on the same level.

To be very honest, I have seen those Facebook pages, but Ive never seen any pages directed at how men should be slaves for women in the same way.

Personally I have no problem, if men are protrayed as morons in the media it doesnt affect me because I dont see mself as a moron and therefore dont feel threstened but I can understand the anger this brings up, and its quite obvious that the solution is not to just have a society where people can go round insulting each other whenever they want, it would be mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If the OP wants this thread re opened they can pm one of the mods.

PI is not a discussion forum, posts are to be helpful to the op with thier problem
    the greater issue of this topic is more suited to the Humanities forum which you will all find here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement