Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Tries To Revive Dying Friend

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I'm a cat person but I have to agree,I often see my cat tenderize dead rabbits/birds this way,think it makes it easier to seperate the yummy flesh from the smelly skin.
    You can see that this clever cat has been at the dead cats neck for a while as this is the softest spot and once pierced the dead cat can then be easily dragged back by the neck to a suitable spot for a more peaceful meal.

Incidently, when they knead their claws like that on your lap/cushion etc it's to put their scent on you apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm pretty sure my cat just kneads my lap to fluff me up like a pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Apologies if this is already posted, but I can't see anything. I beseech you to watch this video and not die a little inside.

I've cried my eyes out :(:(:(:(:(

It showed them taking away the dead cat in the carrier thing but what happened to the one that was alive??:(
    I'd have taken it straight home with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Here's a dog trying to actually save his friend, not just rub him to make him nicer to lie on, like that cruel cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

as mentioned elephants definately grieve and form very close relationships......even with dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtFTF2ii7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg4aaXgWn2g

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Wibbs wrote: »
    Unlikely as cats aren't generally cannibalistic. Again unlikely, cats knead each other as a social thing. Usually siblings, mates and parents. They'll do same to humans. Tenderising meat that way would be an even stranger behaviour. If cats want to tendorise meat they ill leave it go a bit rotten, like human will do with pheasant or venison. Tigers do this quite a bit. Stuff the prey in a meat safe and wait a few days for decay to do the tenderising.
    Agreed on the first too. The latter isnt that unusual. It's clearly trying to get a response, face licking, kneading probably purring, mating attempts wouldnt be beyond instinct especially if it was its mate.
    I'm not a cat person. Not by a long shot. Indeed I've been slated on this very website recently for not being.

No offence Wibbs but i really was only posting an alternative view of the video , I haven't studied cats to any detail and don't plan to , although I do enjoy watching cougars hunting ;):pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I put that up on my facebook page earlier...saddening video clip that is:(

There is clear emotion to be seen from the living cat, it must have been distressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Meeaow

That's why they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Meeaow

That's why they do it.

It says "multiple theories" so they actually don't really know at all the exact reason why they do it. Depends on the cat, the one in the video is clearly upset and sad :( and protected it's dead friend for over two hours and not letting anyone near her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Awh man :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement