Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Tries To Revive Dying Friend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well that was hard to watch :( so sad. i is covered in snot and tears now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I hate saying this, especially considering I'm normally of the "animals are people too!!11" variety, but..

The live cat is CLEARLY humping the dead one at just under a minute in. You may not want to see it because everyone loves a sob story, but I hate to break it to ya, kids: he ain't a heartbroken friend, he's a necrophiliac gettin' it on.

Still crying now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

liah wrote: »
    I hate saying this, especially considering I'm normally of the "animals are people too!!11" variety, but..

The live cat is CLEARLY humping the dead one at just under a minute in. You may not want to see it because everyone loves a sob story, but I hate to break it to ya, kids: he ain't a heartbroken friend, he's a necrophiliac gettin' it on.

Still crying now?

You just don't care for cats =p It obviously wasn't trying to revive it, it probably never even went to meowdical school.. But it was trying to make it react to it's presence. I don't know what level of emotion cats have, if any, but that one did look as if it was feeling something (other than randy)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't know what level of emotion cats have, if any, but that one did look as if it was feeling something (other than randy)

Well,my granddad had a cat for a good few years,it was just the 2 of them in the house, and when he died at home, (Granddad, not the cat) Daisy the cat was found curled up beside him crying.

We took Daisy in, and a few days later she disappeared. Got a call few days later from Granddad's neighbour to say Daisy was sitting on the doorstep of Granddad's flat. The cat had managed to find it's way back from my house in Tallaght, to where it lived in Rathmines, which is a fair ould distance for a cat.
    She came back to us anyway for a few more years,then she got sick and went missing. We actually think she went back to Rathmines to die.

So,since then,i do now think cats have more emotion that people give them credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

OMG its like something from a Disney movie.

So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Hey heres a squirrel protecting its dead friend from crows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I was expecting the other cat to get up at the end.

Why can't life be more like the movies?
    Stupid, sucky reality.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Being 22 year old guy and a cat owner, had me tears that :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

You could see the anguish on its face, so sad.

I'm going to go find my cat to give her a cuddle now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Wibbs wrote: »
    That said it has been observed that elephants, wolves and the great apes show definite signs of grief. The latter in particular, but it doesnt mean other animals dont.

penguins do it too, dont they?

(my vast knowledge is gleaned from that morgan freeman documentary :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Thats the saddest video I have ever saw. Brought a tear to me eye, the poor cat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

aw that is so sad :(

Cats are very sensitive, when one of our cats died, we couldn't mention its name around the other cat or it would become distressed.
    We had one cat who adopted a kitten from up the road whos mother had died, as one of her own kittens, aw nice cat. The kitten did then breastfeed off the cat till a disturbingly old age though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That is sad :(

Different animals try different techniques, cats generally tend to lick. That cat did lick the others face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Alternative view. Stray cat comes across body of other stray and thinks hmmm a meal . The dead cat is stiff from rigamortise and the other cat is trying to knead the meat to tenderise it.

Cats can not carry out heart massage or mouth to mouth, and as Liah has said he is also trying to hump it.

Cat people always amaze me .

lonad wrote: »
    Alternative view. Stray cat comes across body of other stray and thinks hmmm a meal . The dead cat is stiff from rigamortise and the other cat is trying to knead the meat to tenderise it.

Cats can not carry out heart massage or mouth to mouth, and as Liah has said he is also trying to hump it.

i think we all know that the cat is not carrying out heart massages. its the desperate, upset look on his face thats so upsetting.

why you gotta be a hater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

i think we all know that the cat is not carrying out heart massages. its the desperate, upset look on his face thats so upsetting.

why you gotta be a hater?

You think they all know , ok !

I don't hate

You think they all know , ok !

well i hope so! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Maybe the white one hadn't realised that the black one had used up the other 8 lives and wanted to be a hero ?

P.S. I also wondered about the humping action at one stage of the video....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apologies if this is already posted, but I can't see anything. I beseech you to watch this video and not die a little inside.

Speaking as a man who's recently lost his cat, this is a truly heartbreaking video. Worth putting up OP, cheers!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Was he trying to hump it at one stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That's so sad, I really couldn't get much further than a minute or two into it, I wanted to reach out and hug the poor kitty whose friend was dead..too sad :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Alternative view. Stray cat comes across body of other stray and thinks hmmm a meal .
    Unlikely as cats aren't generally cannibalistic.
    The dead cat is stiff from rigamortise and the other cat is trying to knead the meat to tenderise it.
    Again unlikely, cats knead each other as a social thing. Usually siblings, mates and parents. They'll do same to humans. Tenderising meat that way would be an even stranger behaviour. If cats want to tendorise meat they ill leave it go a bit rotten, like human will do with pheasant or venison. Tigers do this quite a bit. Stuff the prey in a meat safe and wait a few days for decay to do the tenderising.
    Agreed on the first too. The latter isnt that unusual. It's clearly trying to get a response, face licking, kneading probably purring, mating attempts wouldnt be beyond instinct especially if it was its mate.
    I'm not a cat person. Not by a long shot. Indeed I've been slated on this very website recently for not being.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Apologies if this is already posted, but I can't see anything. I beseech you to watch this video and not die a little inside.

Wasnt he the dude from Save by the Bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Because he was sad and confused. Our human intellect may cover the emotion in symbolism and culture, but the emotion underneath is very real and visceral. Our hubris can often cloud that.

That magpie I mentioned. All the while I was stroking its dead mate/sibling it was looking at me and the dead one. Literally feet away. I must have looked like the statue of liberty in size to it but somewhere in its mind it understood I wasnt a threat and I do believe in some way it also understood I was respecting the dead one. I dont believe in an intellectual cause and effect way, but in an instinctive way. While an "animal" may not comprehend its own extinction, it does comprehend when the familiar is not longer familiar. That is something we all share.

That said it has been observed that elephants, wolves and the great apes show definite signs of grief. The latter in particular, but it doesnt mean other animals dont.
    You're either Dr. Doolittle or a mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

antodeco wrote: »
    Wasnt he the dude from Save by the Bell?
    I'd screech if I was your english teacher :D

he's the cat whisperer :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A "mental case" would work far better grammatically than a "mental". You're a mental, suggests something to follow. A .......as it where. Like saying you're a "special"..... See what I mean? But otherwise, yep gotta agree with you, more likely the latter than the former.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A "mental case" would work far better grammatically than a "mental". You're a mental, suggests something to follow. A .......as it where. Like saying you're a "special"..... See what I mean? But otherwise, yep gotta agree with you, more likely the latter than the former.
    Or better yet in the colloquial....

"Jaysus, he's a mentaller" :D

Or just mental without the "a", Wibbs you're eloquently mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Ever seen the office?

Advertisement