Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head shop for Roselawn shopping centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That looks like classic dyslexia spellings to me, so lets not judge too hastily.

I think Hunter.S has raised an interesting point though - is the location of the proposed shop causing more issues for people than the actual merchandise it would sell?

Whether such a shop would provide a notable number of jobs or take customers away from drug dealers I would not be so sure of though. One or two jobs at most, and with regulation of headshop products most likely on the way, those looking for highs will return to illegal drug dealers fairly pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The planning application is not in the list of planning applications received by FCC, so it was probably a strange hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

daymobrew wrote: »
    The planning application is not in the list of planning applications received by FCC, so it was probably a strange hoax.

Maybe it was a headshop owner seeing what the local reaction would be before bothering to make a formal application?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

My latest understanding of this topic is that it is a genuine application.The company involved intends to sell items such as massage chairs etc.While I am thinking the premises is maybe too big for a typical Head Shop and this makes more sense,I am still nervous of the situation.

Apparently somebody was in the premises to collect stands etc. and somebody from 1 of the local papers confronted him so expect some mention in this weeks issue of ?.

In conclusion the situation needs to be monitored closely.

How would a meeting in the Roselawn Inn sound?Obviously with the consent of the publican?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Cathooo wrote: »
    Maybe it was a headshop owner seeing what the local reaction would be before bothering to make a formal application?

Excellent comment Cathooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Hunter.S

Has some type of smokey stuff affected the spell check facility on your keyboard?
    I dont see how my speling is relavent, i am in fact dyslexic and simply wasn't bordered to spell check my post at that time(sory for being lazy hopefully every one could understand what i was trying to say and did not discredit it because off bad spelling)
    Do any off you have a real understanding of the products sold in head shops?
    Because most off you shem to just have the opinion off "drugs are bad umm kay". I personly do not use any off the legal highs sold in the head shops but have seen lots off them in affect and i do not think they are a much worse drug than alcohol which I am sure most off you accept and consume. Perhaps you souled look into these products before just sunning them because they arent the norm for you.And if your worried about the shop attracting people who do drugs to the roselawn area I'm sory to tell you but there are plenty all ready and most are harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Alcohol is a huge problem. So lets add another similar one? How does that make sense. Not to mention the attention it will get from vigilantes and organised crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

BostonB wrote: »
    Alcohol is a huge problem. So lets add another similar one? How does that make sense. Not to mention the attention it will get from vigilantes and organised crime.
    Are you saying that an off-license would attract vigilantes and organised crime? :confused:
    Hunter.S wrote: »
    I dont see how my speling is relavent, i am in fact dyslexic and simply wasn't bordered to spell check my post at that time(sory for being lazy hopefully every one could understand what i was trying to say and did not discredit it because off bad spelling)
    I had difficulty understanding your post.
    I think that spelling is relevant because a badly spelt post is very difficult to read and can result in people skipping over the post. I use Firefox and it underlines the misspelt words as I type so it is very easy to identify, and then fix, typos.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Are you saying that an off-license would attract vigilantes and organised crime? :confused:....

Alcohol is a huge problem. So lets add another similar problem? How does that make sense. Not to mention the attention a Head Shop will get from vigilantes and organised crime.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My mam rang Joan Burtons offices to see what the craic was with this. Apparently there's been no formal application for planning permission but there has been inquiries. I'd agree with Cathoooo in saying that it's someone putting the sign up in order to gauge a reaction before going ahead with anything.

It's a stupid place for a headshop anyway, the interior of that shop is fairly big and Tesco have huge rents on all the units as it is. I'd be surprised if first of all they managed to actually fill the area with product and second of all if they could actually afford to rent the space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Mod note: can we leave out the comments on spelling please, the poster concerned has already said they have dyslexia. If you dont understand what is being said ask for an explanation.

Do any off you have a real understanding of the products sold in head shops?
    Because most off you shem to just have the opinion off "drugs are bad umm kay".

I suspect that no, 95% of the posters here have very little knowledge of what exactly is sold in these shops (me included).

Naturally, ignorance of something breeds fear of it, so people are both scared of the unknown, and scared because of what they have read or heard about headshops in the media. It's hard to know how much of what you hear is fact, and how much is just bull spread by each side in the debate.

There is also the worry that the shops themselves dont know half of what is in the products themselves, no more than drug dealers know or care what their products contain.

So all of these uncertainties and fears do cause people to worry, and wonder if one of their loved ones could be harmed if they take a 'legal high' or other headshop product.

At least with Alcohol and cigarettes we know what harmful effects they have, as they are well documented. That's why they are more socially acceptable.
    And if your worried about the shop attracting people who do drugs to the roselawn area I'm sory to tell you but there are plenty all ready and most are harmless.

I'm not sure about most drug users being harmless, seems like a huge amount of crime revolves around drugs to some degree.

Gaspode wrote: »
    At least with Alcohol and cigarettes we know what harmful effects they have, as they are well documented. That's why they are more socially acceptable.
    I suppose this is true which is why these produces should be tested and legislated instead off being made illegal.
    As some one sated before once these drugs are made illegal people will go back to the drug dealers who do not care if they are selling to kids or what the drugs are mixed with there for we should welcome the shops selling these drugs in a safe and controlled environment.

Alcohol is a huge problem. So lets add another similar one? How does that make sense.
    Yes Alcohol is a huge problem but it is here to stay and so are the drugs sold in head shops. If alcohol was made illegal tomorrow people would not stop buying it they would simply get it illegally which would give criminals a new way off making money the same goes for the head shop products.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Powerhouse wrote: »
    True for you. Those beauty salons are a real threat to society. Down with them!
    The beauty salon was in a private house, with totally inadequate parking provision (front driveway basically) which led to cars being parked on the road, thus needlessly obstructing the view for motorists and creating a road safety hazard (particularly for children). If everyone in a housing estate decided to convert their house to a commercial operation without seeking PP it would be a pretty intolerable situation.

These head shops are no worse than off licences tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I suppose this is true which is why these produces should be tested and legislated instead off being made illegal.

Sorry hunter the big issue was they where sell products advertised not for human consumption in the full knowledge the had psychotropic effects.

So its ether licensed by the medicines board for issue or fit for human consumption and its not up to individual to decide what they consider legal to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Coolmine industrial estate would be a more appropriate place to put a head-shop.

Beside the methadone centre they are objecting to maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Coolmine industrial estate would be a more appropriate place to put a head-shop.

Or go one better,don't have one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

wasn't there one in coolmine industrial estate anyway ?

• Advertisement

I think they were talking about it, but not actually in place I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Ah yes. Another brilliant idea from the HSE. Put a methadone clinic right nrxt door to a place for people with intellectual disabilities and Down Syndrome and with easy access to the local schools.

http://inef.ie/?p=3199

http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV154/CV154n04.htm

We have a major hospital in Dublin 15. Why don't they treat the methadone users there. Maybe the staff wouldn't like it, and it might upset things to have the usual pushers you get outside those places, plying their trade in a hospital grounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Murt10 wrote: »
    Ah yes. Another brilliant idea from the HSE. Put a methadone clinic right nrxt door to a place for people with intellectual disabilities and Down Syndrome and with easy access to the local schools.

http://inef.ie/?p=3199

http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV154/CV154n04.htm

We have a major hospital in Dublin 15. Why don't they treat the methadone users there. Maybe the staff wouldn't like it, and it might upset things to have the usual pushers you get outside those places, plying their trade in a hospital grounds.

Big difference between a methadone clinic, and providing methadone to a limited number of stabilised methadone patients in a community pharmacy setting.

Not on the doorstep of the <SNIP>, residents of Roselawn though !

sesna wrote: »
    Big difference between a methadone clinic, and providing methadone to a limited number of stabilised methadone patients in a community pharmacy setting.

Not on the doorstep of the <SNIP> residents of Roselawn though !

There aren't (m)any residents of Roselawn who would be availing of the methadone service either so I can't see where the "community" pharmacy comes into it.

I think they were talking about it, but not actually in place I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong.

90% sure I saw a flyer around for a head shop up in the industrial estate that was doing deliveries....

There aren't (m)any residents of Roselawn who would be availing of the methadone service either so I can't see where the "community" pharmacy comes into it.

Community pharmacy offers more than just methadone. :rolleyes:

Sesna, please read the charter for this forum before posting any further. That sort of comment is not welcome here (or in many other places on boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

90% sure I saw a flyer around for a head shop up in the industrial estate that was doing deliveries....

So basically I was walking through Coolmine industrial estate to go to the bus-stop to go into Temple Bar. Doh!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

is there one on coolmine industrial est???:D:D

• Advertisement

I wonder if all the lovely residents of Roselawn will welcome the new stringent regulations on selling codeine (an opioid) as strongly as they opposed methadone (another opioid) to drug misuers.

Advertisement