Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head shop for Roselawn shopping centre

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭

I was just down at Tesco in Roselawn shopping centre and saw a planning application outside the former men's shop (Noel Reid). It was posted on Friday 30 April.

It is from "Headland Ireland Ltd" and is an application for a "Change of use to, Point of sale for Legalized Recreational Relaxation over the counter sales, internal seating area, Product display area."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

That is going to be interesting but is it someone's idea of a joke.

Tesco's own the whole development. I would be very surprised if they allow a head shop there. Given the chances of the place burning down why would they?

I feel an immediate boycott of all the premises in the SC coming on as a start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Jesus christ I'm not happy to hear this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Murt10 wrote: »
    I feel an immediate boycott of all the premises in the SC coming on as a start.
    Why punish them? - the application is not their fault.

I have informed Tesco via TescoComments.com. Blanchardstown store number is 3589.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was just down at Tesco in Roselawn shopping centre and saw a planning application outside the former men's shop (Noel Reid). It was posted on Friday 30 April.

It is from "Headland Ireland Ltd" and is an application for a "Change of use to, Point of sale for Legalized Recreational Relaxation over the counter sales, internal seating area, Product display area."

Noel Reid's is gone???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

This better not be true, such a weird place to have it as well. Did not think Roselawn would attract that sort of clientel. I figured that we were due a head shop in D15 but never presumed that they would pick Roselawn. Very interesting to see how this develops.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

http://www.communityvoice.ie/images/pages/CV80/cv80n01.htm

Not on their doorstep! - Given their successful opposition (headed up by Leo Varadkar) to methadone being provided in their community for drug misusers , I don't think a headshop will go down to well with the residents :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ah yes, let the pitchforks and fire torches come out now.:rolleyes: Let the angry mob scream blue murder.

I'm no fan of head shops either but wouldn't people who are going apoplectic about this be better educating their childen properly about drugs (and that means alcohol too btw) then whining about head shops? It seems like head shops are the new "moral panic."

I agree that Roselawn is a somewhat odd (and perhaps inappropriate) location for a head shop. I remember Noel Reid and it was a nice shop and Noel himself was a real gent of a man. How times change. Maybe this head shop issue will prompt a debate on how run down, dated and tatty Roselawn SC is looking and how it could be revamped/redeveloped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I would not take part in any protest against it even though I would hate to see it in my area. Instead of protesting which only garners publicity for the headshops, eduacation as the previous poster said is the way of combatting the rise of these headshops. Teenagers should be taught the dangers of the headshops and the risk to your health of using any of their products. Protests will not work, education will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Protests will not work, education will.

finally a bit of sense from an anti person

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Protests will not work, education will.

I'd love to see that come true someday, but I dont know if it will.
    There's plenty of education about the dangers of drugs in the form of alcohol, cigarettes and narcotics but people will still drink, smoke and take illegal drugs.

Having said that, afaik there's no solid evidence that head shops are selling anything illegal or anything that a whole lot more dangerous than alcohol. (if you can correct me, knock yourself out)

I do think though these shops have been made into the latest 'national scourge' by the media, and that there's too much hype going on about them at the moment.

I'd prefer to see protests about the heroin and coke dealers that are currently peddling their wares all over D15 than protests about shops that may or may not be selling harmful crap to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

There something very worrying about products from headshops, which the headshops themselves officially deny are for human consumption - eg. plant food, bath salts. I know the headhops will argue this is a case for getting them regulated and tested like every other medicine on the market, but I am just referring to the situation as it stands currently.

You'd have to be crazy to take those substances which are manufactured in some lab in China, and lack any long to medium term data of effects. Even the effects of cocaine, heroin, etc are well documented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ah yes, let the pitchforks and fire torches come out now.:rolleyes: Let the angry mob scream blue murder.

I'm no fan of head shops either but wouldn't people who are going apoplectic about this be better educating their childen properly about drugs (and that means alcohol too btw) then whining about head shops? It seems like head shops are the new "moral panic."

I agree that Roselawn is a somewhat odd (and perhaps inappropriate) location for a head shop. I remember Noel Reid and it was a nice shop and Noel himself was a real gent of a man. How times change. Maybe this head shop issue will prompt a debate on how run down, dated and tatty Roselawn SC is looking and how it could be revamped/redeveloped?

Well they'll have a chance to educate children won't they? As its right beside a school. The perfect antidote to Ireland drink problem. More drugs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

So this head shop will be located between an off licence (open 24 hours 7 days a week) and a pub ?

Well we can't have that. That won't do at all.

Some really progressive thinking and reactionary nonsense going on here :rolleyes:

At least they have applied for planning permission. Unlike the lady across the road from Roselawn (close friend of a local politician wannabe) who converted her house into a beauty salon and then tried to get retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

So this head shop will be located between an off licence (open 24 hours 7 days a week) and a pub ?

Well we can't have that. That won't do at all.

Some really progressive thinking and reactionary nonsense going on here :rolleyes:

At least they have applied for planning permission. Unlike the lady across the road from Roselawn (close friend of a local politician wannabe) who converted her house into a beauty salon and then tried to get retention.

Tesco sell alcohol between 10.30am and 10.00pm, and 12.30am and 10.00pm on Sundays. Where may I ask is this off licence you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was up at Noel Reid's there within the last hour and the planning permission sign is gone. The shutters are down but are slightly see through, and I did not see anything on the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

The notice is gone missing alright-I did see it on Sat.Noel Reids finished on Fri.If Tesco are the Landlords that is probably the most effective way of nipping this situation-hardly good PR for Tescos not that they will be bothered>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

True for you. Those beauty salons are a real threat to society. Down with them!

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was up at Noel Reid's there within the last hour and the planning permission sign is gone. The shutters are down but are slightly see through, and I did not see anything on the windows.
    The planning notice was to the right of the shop.
    It may have been removed by someone as an attempt to have the application deemed invalid because of a failure to display a planning notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

There is something wrong here. We are missing something.

According to this article http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts-ban-teens-from-head-shops-2163188.html there is going to be a ban on selling "legal highs" by the end of June. I presume they mean the end of June 2010.

How long does it take to get planning permission and even if it is granted, which I would doubt that it will, how long would any appeal take? Long after June.

Also, what's this "internal seating area" about? I thought you just went into the shop and bought the highs and left.

As an aside, I was down at the Bohemians match last night in Dalymount. The head shop across the road, Hemptations, was closed. Shutters down. Two Gardai I spoke to said that they had noticed it, but had no idea as to why it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Gaspode wrote: »
    I'd love to see that come true someday, but I dont know if it will.
    There's plenty of education about the dangers of drugs in the form of alcohol, cigarettes and narcotics but people will still drink, smoke and take illegal drugs.

dont you think if, after unbiased informative education, a person decides to take any sort of drug they should be allowed to?
    iv no problem helping if you pick a time for everyone to be there but either way it needs to be done by tomorrow night

head shops have been around before this 'legal high' phenomenon and they will be here long after any ban or regulation they will just go back to their core business of selling paraphenalia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

PeakOutput wrote: »
    dont you think if, after unbiased informative education, a person decides to take any sort of drug they should be allowed to?

If it is an illegal drug, no. If it's legal, then yes they can do what they like.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    head shops have been around before this 'legal high' phenomenon and they will be here long after any ban or regulation they will just go back to their core business of selling paraphenalia

That's probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Let me start by saying that I have no huge beef with Head shops. People will probably seek out such experiences anyway so better to remove the criminal element I say.

However, as a resident, I'm more annoyed at the location, as opposed to the nature, of the shop. Right beside the pub and a 24/7 Tesco (with a car park usually containing a bunch of scrotes rallying their miserable looking coupe's and hatchbacks most nights) all wrapped up within an otherwise quiet collection of residential estates (and a primary school!). I don't see how adding head shop into the mix is being of ANY BENEFIT WHATSOEVER for the area - I cant think of any other similar shops nearby so this one would no doubt attract head shop enthusiasts from many surrounding areas.

Not saying they are all bad apples or anything (each to their own and all) but I'm sure there are plenty of undesirables amongst their clientele. I think Blanch Village would have been a more suitable area - Preferably up near eBay or the Garda station.

Either way, email sent to Leo & Joan and my mam has troops formally rallied already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Let me start by saying that I have no huge beef with Head shops. People will probably seek out such experiences anyway so better to remove the criminal element I say.

However, as a resident, I'm more annoyed at the location, as opposed to the nature, of the shop. Right beside the pub and a 24/7 Tesco (with a car park usually containing a bunch of scrotes rallying their miserable looking coupe's and hatchbacks most nights) all wrapped up within an otherwise quiet collection of residential estates (and a primary school!). I don't see how adding head shop into the mix is being of ANY BENEFIT WHATSOEVER for the area - I cant think of any other similar shops nearby so this one would no doubt attract head shop enthusiasts from many surrounding areas.

Not saying they are all bad apples or anything (each to their own and all) but I'm sure there are plenty of undesirables amongst their clientele. I think Blanch Village would have been a more suitable area - Preferably up near eBay or the Garda station.

Either way, email sent to Leo & Joan and my mam has troops formally rallied already. :D

I agee that Roselawn Shopping Centre is not the place for something like this, (mainly due to its proximity to Francis Xaviers school), and I really hope it doesn't go ahead, but I'm curious why you think it would be better suited to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Ideally, It wouldn't be needed at all (There's a tonne of these shops dotted around town anyway) but, if it absolutely had to happen, the areas I've mentioned are not especially residential heavy. compared to places.......

Scratch that. Just told by my mum - One of her chums was onto Brian Lenihen (sp), some other politician and a person in the planning department. Apparently it's a hoax and Fingal have received no planning permissions at all. Will be confirmed later so I'll keep you all posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

It'll never happen, they can apply all they want but, there's too many obstacles, I cant see the owners of the Roselawn being too happy never mind any of the locals! What would people think if they heard a headshop was being plonked right beside where the old library used to be.....!

Shoota wrote: »
    It'll never happen, they can apply all they want but, there's too many obstacles, I cant see the owners of the Roselawn being too happy never mind any of the locals! What would people think if they heard a headshop was being plonked right beside where the old library used to be.....!

The application was in the name of "Headman Ltd" Which when I think of it was a bit too obvious for a company name.Just done a search and can't find such company reg in Ireland.Hopefully it is a hoax.
    Maybe somebody else could do their own search on this company.I hope to be speaking to one of the lads from Noel Reids in the next day or so.They did mention that Tescos were going to use it as an Off-License which mAKES SENSE .

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    The application was in the name of "Headman Ltd" Which when I think of it was a bit too obvious for a company name.Just done a search and can't find such company reg in Ireland.Hopefully it is a hoax.
    Maybe somebody else could do their own search on this company.
    The name on the planning notice was "Headland Ireland Ltd". I couldn't find them on the CRO site.
    The weekly planning lists will be sent out by FCC today or tomorrow so we'll see whether it is on it.

Sorry Daymobrew thanks for correcting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hunter.S

Most of you guys shem to complaing about the location of this head shop more so than anyting wich sems werd to me. Whats rong with haveing it in the roselawn SC as some one sead befor there is a pub, a shop with ann off licence(tesco) and 2 shops that sell smokes.Are you saying that becase kids go to school near were drink and smokes are soled then they will all buy them? Anyway head shops will not sell to under 18s.
    I live in D15 myself and i doint see how a head shop will be a bad thing, it will provide jobs and help to take costermuers away from drug dealers in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Hunter.S wrote: »
    Most of you guys shem to complaing about the location of this head shop more so than anyting wich sems werd to me. Whats rong with haveing it in the roselawn SC as some one sead befor there is a pub, a shop with ann off licence(tesco) and 2 shops that sell smokes.Are you saying that becase kids go to school near were drink and smokes are soled then they will all buy them? Anyway head shops will not sell to under 18s.
    I live in D15 myself and i doint see how a head shop will be a bad thing, it will provide jobs and help to take costermuers away from drug dealers in the area.

Has some type of smokey stuff affected the spell check facility on your keyboard?

Advertisement