Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does religion have a place in 6th Year Graduations?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If you havent got enough conviction to completely renounce any religious ceremony you took part in then you really shouldnt be making an arse of yourself moaning about the church

So does this extend to regular churchgoers who might have have reservations about some aspect (big or small) of the running of their church ?
    FAIL !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Im interested as to whether this 17/18 year old is going to give his uncle back the confirmation money he would have got 6 years ago.

Course not. Hating on religion is trendy until you have to put your money where your mouth is.

You're right, I only became an Atheist because all the cool kids were atheists. I got picked on for being a christian, but when I became an Atheist I got into all the right clubs, and now I hang out with the cool kids!

And of course, bribing kids into making their confo is comepletely in line with christian values!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

cypharius wrote: »
    You're completely right, I'm being immature for wanting to live in a secular society, and not have religion rammed down my throat.

I'm curious to read how exactly it was "rammed down" your throat, if you have exercised your democratic right to freely reject it since.
    cypharius wrote: »
    And of course, religion is nowhere near as silly as all those grammmer rules, and as for science... bah! And those languages, those are silly countries, we don't need another language. Not to mention maths!

Indeed it isn't :pac:

Something as crucial in understanding the way society, and the greater world operates shouldn't ever be neglected from the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Jakkass wrote: »
    Something as crucial in understanding the way society, and the greater world operates shouldn't ever be neglected from the curriculum.

Studying various religions in general isn't a bad idea (given that they're such a big influence in this world) but that's not what is being discussed. We're arguing that being taught about one religion (Catholicism) is wrong, particularly when you're taught that it's the right religion. That's what I and most people here were taught since primary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I'm curious to read how exactly it was "rammed down" your throat, if you have exercised your democratic right to freely reject it since.

I was exadurating for the sake of sarcasm.
    But from cradle to secondary school I had no choice, I was dragged to mass by my parents, and as I said, 90% of primary schools. In my secondary school(Which is a community school) the symbol is a styalized cross(I have no problem with this), there is a prayer over the intercom every morning(I would prefere if they just had an inspirational quote and/or instructed teachers to give 5 minutes before the first class for students to pray if they wish).
    There is a "Christian ethos" declared in the school journal, 2 members of the school board are apointed by the parish and we have a franciscan monk for a chaplain(I have no problem with this, many students in the school are religious and he's sound). We also have a small oratory(I have no problem with this, or the religious imagry within). Religion is a manditory class, unless one gets a note from a parent(But we all know that some parents push religion on their children quite agresively).
    There is an angelus every day at 6:00 on the state owned TV station(I don't watch TV, but if I did I would have no problem with this), all of this is alongside other things that don't effect me directly atm but still make me feel like religion is being pushed on me such as prayers before the Dail and swearing on the bible in court.

Yes, but it's taught in such a way that has an obvious pro-religious agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Seachmall wrote: »
    Studying various religions in general isn't a bad idea (given that they're such a big influence in this world) but that's not what is being discussed. We're arguing that being taught about one religion (Catholicism) is wrong, particularly when you're taught that it's the right religion. That's what I and most people here were taught since primary.

It depends in what context:

Kids with atheist or agnostic parents who have expressed a clear wish not to be taught about a certain faith. Yes, it isn't correct in this case. Indeed, if there were more alternatives, this wouldn't have to happen either.

Kids with parents of faith. It is acceptable for parents of faith to wish to teach their children about their faith and their way of living. Although, I personally think it would be more effective for children to learn about their faith at home if their parents are knowledgeable about it.

I don't think faith schools are wrong at all. I do think only faith schools creates an unworkable situation in a society where non-believers exist. This is what I was talking about when I said that we needed to get past the petty selfishness that often exists in such discussions, and realise that there are both people of faith in our societies, and there are atheists / agnostics in our society. Neither will be going away, so its time to face up to reality and learn to work together or at the very least co-exist.

Although, even at my former secondary school which had a CofI ethos, I learned about atheism, agnosticism, reductionism, secular humanism, and so on. In fact, such an understanding helped me to research these viewpoints further to defend my faith.

Im interested as to whether this 17/18 year old is going to give his uncle back the confirmation money he would have got 6 years ago..

:rolleyes: A few years ago I bought a wedding president for a mate who was getting married but recently they split up and divorced.

So today I called around looking for it back and he told me to go and **** myself.

Should I call my lawyer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    And the reliable source you have to back this up is...............?

the christian brothers thought me that at school so it has to be true:)

The CB's seem to have a bit of a thing for the alleged deathbed ramblings of the insane

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sammy_G

I think religion should be up to the parents of the child not for there school to teach them

• Advertisement
Advertisement