Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burka ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm religious and support the ban
    strobe wrote: »
    You can't fight fire with dynamite.

Agree with everything you posted, but you choose a poor analogy. You can fight fire with dynamite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well_fire#Extinguishing_the_fires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

sink wrote: »
    Agree with everything you posted, but you choose a pour analogy. You can fight fire with dynamite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_well_fire#Extinguishing_the_fires

Blast!! You've made a fool of me yet again internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liberté, egalité, doasisé.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

MrPudding wrote: »
    Why not? In fairness, there is a chance it might not, but it is most certainly not a forgone conclusion that it will not pass.

There is no unqualified right to wear one.

MrP
    I guess I just can't see a day where the ECOHR rules to restrict what clothing a person can or can't wear. A Europe (or Ireland) that tells me what I can and can't wear is not a Europe I want to be part of.

Telling a person they must not wear something is equally is 'oppressive' as telling them they must wear something. No? I'd like the right to choose what I wear thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm non-religious and do not support the ban
    I'm sorry I thought I mentioned "So long as they don't infringe on anyone else's freedom to do the same."

I would have no problem with making it illegal for anyone to force other individuals to wear anything against their will. It's a question of how you enforce such a law without infringing upon the rights of those who choose to do so freely.

I can relate to what you're saying, but in honesty I believe it flawed. That they choose to do this and aren't harming anyone else,so we should not interfere seems a reasonable argument, but I personally don't buy into this.
    Firstly there is a victim here, its the women herself coerced or educated into believing this is what she should do. Secondly this heinous practice is then further propagated onto any daughters she may have.

It's an uncomfortable decision to make, but sometimes society as a whole must give up a supposed right in-order to protect the vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Here's a clue as to what route the ECOHR might take....

http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2010/02/european-human-rights-court-says-turkey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's an uncomfortable decision to make, but sometimes society as a whole must give up a supposed right in-order to protect the vulnerable.

But you're not really protecting the vulnerable. You're making a cosmetic change only. Oppressed women are still going to be under the thumb of their oppressors. You've just forced it out of sight and in the process given the bigots ammunition to fire back at you in resistance against real fundamental change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

If it is banned here and I decide to wear it, what do you think my punishment should be?
    what ever the law demands, why ?

I want your opinion on what the punishment should be for someone who wears one. Should be a fine? Community service? Jail time?

I think a fine is reasonable, though incarceration should not be ruled out for anyone who persistently breaks a law.

But you're not really protecting the vulnerable. You're making a cosmetic change only. Oppressed women are still going to be under the thumb of their oppressors. You've just forced it out of sight and in the process given the bigots ammunition to fire back at you in resistance against real fundamental change.
    I disagree, by not banning such practices society gives implicit support to them.
    A ban sends a clear unambiguous message that such behaviour is not acceptable to modern society.
    You may as well argue that husbands should be allowed beat their wives in public because if we ban that they'll just keep them at home and do it there.
    Sometimes you just have a face problem face on rather than try and dance around it.

• Advertisement

There are probably two kinds of women who wear Burqa
    1. Those who choose to do so as they believe it is an integral part of their religion
    2. Those who are pressurised by their husbands/family

The ban is unfair firstly as is it forcing the first type of women to remove the burqa against their will. It is hypocritical to introduce a law which aims to stop opression of one group of people but has the effect of opressing another group of people. Secondly, the majority of both types of women above will probably just not leave their house anymore. So the net result is that the ban has taken even more freedom away from the women it claims to protect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

1. Those who choose to do so as they believe it is an integral part of their religion

The ban is unfair firstly as is it forcing the first type of women to remove the burqa against their will. It is hypocritical to introduce a law which aims to stop opression of one group of people but has the effect of opressing another group of people. Secondly, the majority of both types of women above will probably just not leave their house anymore. So the net result is that the ban has taken even more freedom away from the women it claims to protect.

The second point is why they say they brought in the law alright. But I would like to know what they are basing this on. Have there been studies on the 2000 women who wear them? Has anyone even asked them? Or is this an assumption the french and a lot of people are making that if they are covering their face its because they are being told to?

Even if it is there is no way this is going to make those women any more liberated

I think a fine is reasonable, though incarceration should not be ruled out for anyone who persistently breaks a law.

that really sounds like a horrible horrible country you find reasonable.

Secondly, the majority of both types of women above will probably just not leave their house anymore.
    I'm not denying that, its certainly the case that this will happen.
    So the net result is that the ban has taken even more freedom away from the women it claims to protect.
    Perhaps initially it will, but long term it creates an environment where such practices become impractical.

that really sounds like a horrible horrible country you find reasonable.
    You break a law you bear a consequence, its the way all functioning societies operate.

No a good functioning society is fair to its citizens.

There are such a thing as dumb laws, the blasphemy one for a start. Although punishments may exist for it, it does not mean its right.

There are such a thing as dumb laws, the blasphemy one for a start. Although punishments may exist for it, it does not mean its right.
    And in this case I believe such a law would be both justified and fair, you don't such is life.
    If the weight of public opinion is for such a law it will go through otherwise it will not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Firstly there is a victim here, its the women herself coerced or educated into believing this is what she should do.
    we should ban excessive makeup, because women are being coerced into believing that they should wear it.

we should ban excessive makeup, because women are being coerced into believing that they should wear it.
    Yes that exactly the same, very clever.

my point was you cannot legislate for every single situation.

• Advertisement

You don't have too, just the ones that count ie. this case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The only way to combat harmful ideas is with enlightenment.
    And how can the state encourage enlightenment when there exist religious schools whose purpose is to fight enlightenment by exercising the politics of identity, subtle group coercion, religious supremacy, the absolute nature of religious belief, and so on?

In this case, the political fight is completely asymmetric -- the emotional side is going to trump the intellectual every time.
    Oppressed women are still going to be under the thumb of their oppressors.
    Yes, but they'll be oppressed one inch less.
    [...] in the process given the bigots ammunition to fire back at you in resistance against real fundamental change.
    And you'll also have drawn a line in the sand against such bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So dont legislate for any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The fact that they are wrong has no bearing, does it? The burka is a cultural invention, not an islamic invention.

Wether the people in the first group recognise it or not, they are being oppressed. The fact that they accept this oppression, because it has been bred into them since birth, or fulfils some need they didn't get in their native religon, is irrelevent, they are being oppressed and it should be stopped.
    So the net result is that the ban has taken even more freedom away from the women it claims to protect.

These women are still free to go out, its their own arbitrary and nonsensical limitations that will stop them (assuming its not their husbands).

robindch wrote: »
    And how can the state encourage enlightenment when there exist religious schools whose purpose is to fight enlightenment by exercising the politics of identity, subtle group coercion, religious supremacy, the absolute nature of religious belief, and so on?
    hang on, it's one thing legislating for what people wear on their faces, it's an entirely different matter when it comes to regulating schools. i've no beef with regulation of schools to make sure that the school follows a defined curriculum and does not have one set of rules for one group of students and another set for a different group.

telling a grown adult what she (or he) cannot wear in public is a different matter.

Wether the people in the first group recognise it or not, they are being oppressed. The fact that they accept this oppression, because it has been bred into them since birth, or fulfils some need they didn't get in their native religon, is irrelevent, they are being oppressed and it should be stopped.
    and you cannot legislate against stupidity or ignorance. whatever the reasons these women choose to wear the burka, once they are adults, it's their choice.

hang on, it's one thing legislating for what people wear on their faces, it's an entirely different matter when it comes to regulating schools.
    I was responding to sink's point that women will refuse to wear a burka if they've been "enlightened". It's simply not the case.
    and you cannot legislate against stupidity or ignorance.
    Yes you can, that's what, say, the rules of the road and traffic cops are there for.
    whatever the reasons these women choose to wear the burka, once they are adults, it's their choice.
    It's not a choice when there's no choice.

Yes you can, that's what, say, the rules of the road and traffic cops are there for.
    not the same argument. you're legislating against some very real results of ignorance (the rules of the road and the traffic cops are the means to an end), not the ignorance itself.
    i hate the phrase 'nanny state'. but in this case, it's as close a term as can be used.

.It's not a choice when there's no choice.

With an attitude like that it sounds like you'd feel more at home living in Saudi Arabia than a free democratic society where people have freedoms of choice and expression.

• Advertisement

With an attitude like that it sounds like you'd feel more at home living in Saudi Arabia than a free democratic society where people have freedoms of choice and expression.
    Having travelled widely within the Middle East, it's quite clear that it's naive to think, and silly to pretend, that wearing a burka has anything at all to do with freedom, choice or expression.

This debate is about returning freedom to people who've had it stolen from them.

Advertisement