Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamp down on L drivers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

eoin wrote: »
    Don't try and think about it from the point of view of learners who have had lessons and a year of experience; think about how absurd it is that someone who has no proof of ever having even sat behind the wheel of the car thinking it's OK to drive unaccompanied. It's insane.

This is exactly my arguement. Anyone can sit down and learn off the rules of the road enough to pass the theory test and get a provisional license, and as things stand they can hop in behind the wheel of car having never even held car keys before in their life, and chances are they will be able to drive around on their own without getting stopped. It actually scares me to think its that easy for someone with no experience to be on the road.

I know a lot of people moan that its unfair on those learner drivers who are decent drivers, but if they are that decent then let them take the test and get their full license. If they are that good theyll have passed in a couple of months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Driving a car is not a right, it is a responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

This thread is brilliant, LOL:D. Some excellent points regarding the Learner License system.
    Alanstrainor & Donegalfella full respect gentlemen for handling the naughty memebers!! I'll make sure I never cross you's myself, EVER!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

It's a hell of a lot more expensive in other countries where you need to have notched up x amount of hours with an instructor and so on. I don't believe price is a factor at all.

I think this should be enforced here..as well as being beneficial to the actual learner, it also shows they're taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

greenie wrote: »
    I think this should be enforced here..as well as being beneficial to the actual learner, it also shows they're taking it seriously.

Yep, me too - but that would be part of overhauling the whole system - this is just enforcing the laws we already have,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I still don't follow you.

Not the brightest of sparks are u?

djimi wrote: »
    Dear lord what a load of rubbish... If that man, through inability to drive, ploughs into a school bus and kills 50 kids on their way to school, is he still the saint you are making him out to be? Get a grip; doesnt matter the circumstances, someone driving on their own without a full license is breaking the law and potentially putting peoples lives at risk.

The overdramatization is outstanding... well done, shame you dont live in the real world :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Fluffybums wrote: »
    Driving a car is not a right, it is a responsibility.

Actually you are wrong, it is a right once you become of a certain age

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I know its wrong but the cost of the driving test is pretty expensive

Medical education is pretty expensive, perhaps people should be allowed operate on you who want to save the cost?
    Actually you are wrong, it is a right once you become of a certain age

At a certain age and if you you haven't other impediments, you are allowed be tested to see if you can safely be allowed drive.

When you have passed such tests you are allowed drive, but if you mis-use this permission it may be withdrawn from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bingus666

well it's about bloody time! & yee all wonder why ins premiums are soo frikkin high... I see it all the time on the roads..... L drivers who drive are driving WITHOUT insurance - & if you reading this are one of those whom think "oh it'll never happen to me", think again... fair play to the Gardaí & keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

The majority of people here are hypocrites because driving unaccompanied was commonplace in the not too distant past. It seems to me that people seem change their attitude on this when they receive their pink licence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The majority of people here are hypocrites because driving unaccompanied was commonplace in the not too distant past.

Smoking in restaurants was also common in the not too distant past, but we don't condone that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

riskyOz wrote: »
    The majority of people here are hypocrites because driving unaccompanied was commonplace in the not too distant past. It seems to me that people seem change their attitude on this when they receive their pink licence

It's nothing to do with being hypocritical cus the reason it was commonplace was because those on their second provisional licence were legally allowed to drive on their own...the law has changed and this no longer allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

riskyOz wrote: »

Don't know about "majority" but I must put my hand up here. I drove unaccompanied most of the time, just like I drove without an NCT most of the time. I'd probably do it again too. I also used to drink when I was 16-17. Doesn't make it legal, or even safe, and I'd certainly discourage others from doing it.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe.
    Does me being a hypocrite mean you can break the law? No.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

anto_or wrote: »
    I just read a post on Ldrivers.ie saying that 14,000 L drivers have been prosecuted for either not displaying "L" plates or for driving unaccompanied. This is only in the last 18 months.:mad:
    I think the gardai are starting to take the law seriously, what a bummer for us learners. I will have to start looking over my shoulder again. And the news said the gardai are clamoing down on learner drivers again big time this weekend. Im getting the bus!!! And then am doing the driving test asap.
    Be careful out there:confused:

Imagine the Gardai taking the law seriously :eek:

About time this country started taking driving seriously

Advertisement