Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamp down on L drivers

Options
  • 29-04-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I just read a post on Ldrivers.ie saying that 14,000 L drivers have been prosecuted for either not displaying "L" plates or for driving unaccompanied. This is only in the last 18 months.:mad:
    I think the gardai are starting to take the law seriously, what a bummer for us learners. I will have to start looking over my shoulder again. And the news said the gardai are clamoing down on learner drivers again big time this weekend. Im getting the bus!!! And then am doing the driving test asap.
    Be careful out there:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to "learning to drive" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Here Here!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I haven't seen a clampdown personally, I travel the M1 & M50 daily on my way to/ from work & regularly see L Plate drivers on both roads, I have even see Garda cars pass or behind them and not pull them over...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

celticbest wrote: »
    I haven't seen a clampdown personally, I travel the M1 & M50 daily on my way to/ from work & regularly see L Plate drivers on both roads, I have even see Garda cars pass or behind them and not pull them over...

It's possible that the driver has a full licence, but somebody else that uses the car is a Learner Driver. My mother's car has L-Plates because of me, but she has a full licence but doesn't take down the L-Plates when she drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It's possible that the driver has a full licence, but somebody else that uses the car is a Learner Driver. My mother's car has L-Plates because of me, but she has a full licence but doesn't take down the L-Plates when she drives.

Agreed. I got pulled one day on the N4 and the guards face dropped when I showed him a full licence. It was the wife that was learning to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Agreed. I got pulled one day on the N4 and the guards face dropped when I showed him a full licence. It was the wife that was learning to drive.

i think you are required by law to take them down in that scenario... You shouldn't keep them up if you are driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

So you are saying he was out to get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes i believe this is true. I think where the confusion arises is that in the UK it is a requirement to take down "L" plates when a fully licensed driver is driving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

And so I do take the bus to college.

Won't be doing the test till after my exams are over next month but hopefully this time I should pass. I should have passed last time as well but...

I just go on a drive with my friends occasionally and two of my friends have a full license. Though there's usually always a bit where I drive by myself to pick my friend up from his place or after dropping him and getting to my place... Haven't got stopped yet. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Yes i believe this is true. I think where the confusion arises is that in the UK it is a requirement to take down "L" plates when a fully licensed driver is driving the car.

If it's the case that it's only law in the UK and not here for 'L' Plates to be removed when a fully licensed driver is driving the car then it's no wonder that the driving standards in this country are so poor, for handiness sake everyone should just put up 'L' Plates, who would the Guards stop then??....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

celticbest wrote: »
    If it's the case that it's only law in the UK and not here for 'L' Plates to be removed when a fully licensed driver is driving the car then it's no wonder that the driving standards in this country are so poor, for handiness sake everyone should just put up 'L' Plates, who would the Guards stop then??....

Why would people do this? It would make it much harder for the gardai to police learner drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

anto_or wrote: »
    I just read a post on Ldrivers.ie saying that 14,000 L drivers have been prosecuted for either not displaying "L" plates or for driving unaccompanied. This is only in the last 18 months.:mad:
    I think the gardai are starting to take the law seriously, what a bummer for us learners. I will have to start looking over my shoulder again. And the news said the gardai are clamoing down on learner drivers again big time this weekend. Im getting the bus!!! And then am doing the driving test asap.
    Be careful out there:confused:

they need to make money someone how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

digme wrote: »
    they need to make money someone how.
    What do you mean? the garai aren't there to make a profit you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I just think there needs to be consistency...there are still a lot of people being stopped and getting away with it. If there are stories around about people being let off then there are always going to be learners willing to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Delites

Some of the comments here are hilarious... like all the people who have full licenses never drove around when they were still on provisionals!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I got my car April 09 and have been driving for a full year with my learners permit. Up and down the motorway to Galway from Dublin at least once a month and driving round Dublin, I didn't drive with my L plates.

Only got my full licence in April just gone!

Sure if your gonna get done for one thing you might as well go the full hog and get done for it all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

StinkySocs wrote: »
    I got my car April 09 and have been driving for a full year with my learners permit. Up and down the motorway to Galway from Dublin at least once a month and driving round Dublin, I didn't drive with my L plates.

Only got my full licence in April just gone!

Sure if your gonna get done for one thing you might as well go the full hog and get done for it all!!

You might as well get hung for a sheep if you are going to get hung for a lamb. Personally I am more annoyed by the money making extortion racket that is the driving test. It has very little to do with driving skill, I have seen apes pass that test that would have trouble driving a nail straight. The L plate drivers that annoy me are the small minority of dangerous headbangers and the robots that potter along like a sedated 85 year old woman, they can't go any faster because they are distracted by all the unnecessary mirror gazing and obsolete techniques demanded by the out of date driving test.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Why are people moaning about this, you shouldn't drive alone if you're on a provisional, isn't that the law? Then don't do it, the majority of them are unsure of what they are doing and are an absolute menace on the road... stay off until you've passed!!!-+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

WTF - there are 2 sides to all arguments donegal, banning people from one side of an argument is ignorant and totally uncalled for in this case

john47832 wrote: »
    WTF - there are 2 sides to all arguments donegal, banning people from one side of an argument is ignorant and totally uncalled for in this case

Uh oh... watch out, he's in a banning mood... got me in Humanities already...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yes mein fuhrer. Ve vill be more careful in future:rolleyes:. Enjoy your mini power trip saddo.

Boo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Noffles wrote: »
    Boo

How can you not get the picture after all this?
    Banned for a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Noffles wrote: »
    the majority of them are unsure of what they are doing and are an absolute menace on the road... stay off until you've passed!!!-+

Ridiculous thing to say. Absolute menace? Did you know that most learner drivers are more aware of the constantly updated rules of the road than a lot of experienced drivers? And the main reason people have a problem with learners is because they tend to keep to the limit?

Advertisement