Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Android Phone as an Internet tether?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

I see a number of ways for doing this, some require root, some do not.

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

I know Vodafone on the iPhone can distinguish between mobile internet usage and tethering (unless jailbroken) and charge an additional fee for the latter.

On Android can your provider distinguish between the two? and ensure an additional charge for using tethering? or do they just have to accept its part of your data bundle and that's that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

link is broken, thats interesting about the Vodafone pricing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I just plugged in my Desire (Meteor) last night and selected 'internet sharing', within seconds I was enjoying download speeds that put my '3meg' fixed landline to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Inquitus wrote: »
    I know Vodafone on the iPhone can distinguish between mobile internet usage and tethering (unless jailbroken) and charge an additional fee for the latter.

On Android can your provider distinguish between the two? and ensure an additional charge for using tethering? or do they just have to accept its part of your data bundle and that's that?
    I believe the way Vodaphone can distinguish between tethering and mobile internet on the iPhone is because, on the iPhone, tethering is set up to use a different port. On Android, all data flows through the one point, so they can't distinguish it.

I'm open to correction on this, but AFAIK that's how it is

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I've been using Meteor tethered for years with no extra charges.
    Works perfectly on my new Desire when I plug it in,
    but I'll need to root it to make it act as a wifi access point like
    I could do with my E71 (using Joikuspot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Whats the easiest way to tether with a hero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭cormie

According to Darren from Vodafone who posts here, there is no problem tethering with anything but the iPhone. Apple have included something that allows networks such as vodafone distinguish between connections and hence be able to charge for this "extra service". Good bit of info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055859030

But the gist of it is that it's fine with an android phone :) It's also a big reason why I didn't give the iphone a chance and opted for a Desire instead and am selling on my brand new iphone 3gs 16gb I got with my vodafone package!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's an app called "Easy Tether" that works brilliantly, regardless of if your phone is rooted with custom firmware applied, or on the stock firmware.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

niallb wrote: »
    I've been using Meteor tethered for years with no extra charges.
    Works perfectly on my new Desire when I plug it in,
    but I'll need to root it to make it act as a wifi access point like
    I could do with my E71 (using Joikuspot).
    PDAnet doesn't need root.

There's an app called "Easy Tether" that works brilliantly, regardless of if your phone is rooted with custom firmware applied, or on the stock firmware.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

Can I just ask what's the use in that if you can do it with HTC Sync anyway? It says it's compatible with HTC Sync, but why would you need it in the first place?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I use PdaNet ,works well on Nexus 1.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Can I just ask what's the use in that if you can do it with HTC Sync anyway? It says it's compatible with HTC Sync, but why would you need it in the first place?

Cos I dont think you can tether with HTC Sync for the Hero?

(open to corrections?)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

I'm a big fan of JoikuSpot - it was the main reason I got a Nokia phone last time out.

There's mention of an app called Wifi-Tether here, which I presume does the same thing, ie turns the phone into a wireless hotspot. It does require root access though.

Using wifi for internet tethering (rather than say bluetooth) is a great extra to have. Although you do need a charger to hand, and decent 3G reception.

HTC Sync does not allow you to use the phones mobile internet access on your PC/Laptop, whereas the EasyTether App/program does. It works very very well too, and your phone will charge while it's in use/connected to the computer, whereas using wi-fi tethering drains the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

HTC Sync does not allow you to use the phones mobile internet access on your PC/Laptop, whereas the EasyTether App/program does. It works very very well too, and your phone will charge while it's in use/connected to the computer, whereas using wi-fi tethering drains the battery.

HTC sync does allow my desire to tether internet access for my laptop automatically - it's much better than the Nokia solution because as soon as you turn it on the phone it works transparently.

The only problem is that HTC seems to be flaky if I go into hibernate on my laptop, and won't pick up the phone when I reconnect the cable unless I restart.

If you're running off one of the 2.1 Android OS phones, you can simply connect via USB cable and you get the option there to use the phones internet connectivity, I'd imagine this is what your HTC Sync is doing.

For users that aren't using that, then the easiest option is EasyTether.
    (I actually still use this although I'm running 2.1 in the form of VillainRom on my Hero)

Thanks for the replies :) I was tethering with my desire the other night and it disconnected twice and when I looked at my phone it said "no service", I had to restart the phone altogether to get it going again!

That's handy that app lets you charge the phone and tether simultaneously, although you'd think it would do that by default anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

I was tethering with my desire the other night and it disconnected twice and when I looked at my phone it said "no service", I had to restart the phone altogether to get it going again!

I get the same problem with a G1 running Android 2.1. I'm using the built in USB tethering in System -> Wireless & network settings. And its disconnects every hour or 2 with the phone saying "no service" and the only way to get signal again is to reboot. (on Meteor by the way)

Again, glad to hear I'm not the only one but I wonder what the issue is with it? Has this happened anyone else ever? Does it happen when using Easy Tether to connect I wonder?

I've never had it happen with Easy Tether on my Hero anyway.

I just see that "full app allows https", so does that mean no purchasing/admin/secure work or anything when using easy tether with the laptop?

• Advertisement

Big thanks to whoever posted the info on Easytether....seems to be a very handy app for my Hero...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

I get the same problem with a G1 running Android 2.1. I'm using the built in USB tethering in System -> Wireless & network settings. And its disconnects every hour or 2 with the phone saying "no service" and the only way to get signal again is to reboot. (on Meteor by the way)

Just realised that I can get the signal back if I turn Airplane mode on/off, so no need to reboot every time.

Just realised that I can get the signal back if I turn Airplane mode on/off, so no need to reboot every time.

Im not sure that this issue is cos of tethering....There was a huge topic on this not too long ago. Im not sure if it got moved when the android forum opened maybe someone can bump it or link to it here...

The gist of it was that a lot of the HTC phones sold by meteor seemed to have an issue with losing coverage at random times, the temp fix was to go into airplane mode on and then off...there was no long term fix....a lot of people mentioned solving the issue by using a custom rom...didnt seem to matter what network you were using....

btw: this is all from recollection of reading the thread I havent had the issue

neacy69 wrote: »
    The gist of it was that a lot of the HTC phones sold by meteor seemed to have an issue with losing coverage at random times

But this was only happening on the Meteor network. I use the Hero I bought from Meteor on Vodafone, and have not experienced this issue.

But this was only happening on the Meteor network. I use the Hero I bought from Meteor on Vodafone, and have not experienced this issue.

Im pretty sure it happened with phones used on other networks also...maybe someone can bump the thread?

There was an issue that if it wasn't set to automatically select network that if you lost coverage then it wouldn't automatically pick it up again, but that's a software issue rather than being down to the phones Meteor were selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I just want to add a word of caution to this thread. If you're on O2 without a tethering plan and your handset is set to open.internet for its access point, you could be hit with a charge of a euro a megabyte.

I got charged a bomb for a podcast on the way to work one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

topgold wrote: »
    I just want to add a word of caution to this thread. If you're on O2 without a tethering plan and your handset is set to open.internet for its access point, you could be hit with a charge of a euro a megabyte.

Did you investigate this further with o2? The reason I ask is because I was "reliably" (as well as one can from o2) that non iPhone phones don't discriminate where the internet data is coming from (i.e. phone originated or tethered device originated) unlike the iPhone which does.

I haven't tried, so I'd be interested to hear what explanation o2 give you in relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭28064212

topgold wrote: »

I got charged a bomb for a podcast on the way to work one day.
    How can they tell whether you're tethered or not? On the iPhone it's possible because you have to use a separate APN that's pre-programmed into the OS, but on Android, doesn't it use the same APN as the phone uses?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Is using the Desire as a wifi hot spot the same as tethering? Could I be charged extra for this?

Advertisement