Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Android Phone as an Internet tether?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

topgold wrote: »
    I just want to add a word of caution to this thread. If you're on O2 without a tethering plan and your handset is set to open.internet for its access point, you could be hit with a charge of a euro a megabyte.

I got charged a bomb for a podcast on the way to work one day.

Do o2 even offer a tethering plan for Android phones?

Any mention of tethering on the o2 site with an Android phone and tethering says that it's only for iPhone devices. Unless the o2 custom Rom has it set to distinguish which is phone data and tethered data I can't see how they'll charge you for tethering.

Looks more like your out of the data limit or they're screwing you over, any of the other data charges on that screen shot have charges and the phone downloaded the file instead of a tethered device.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

O2 call it "tethering" when your APN is open.internet. I'm on a 2GB monthly broadband data plan but that's based on the APN called internet.

My phone is set to APN internet. But somehow a download or two happened in the car when moving from EDGE to 3G and the downloads appear on the O2 tracking system as open.internet APN.

I've raised the issue with the call centre supervisor and hope I'm given some credit. Otherwise, I've spent more this past month with O2 than in the two previous months combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Are there any non root tethering apps that allow you to:
    • Bluetooth tether
    • Allow all ports (HTTPS and the like)

Used to be able to do this with my N95 no problem, straight out of the box with no software - just used DUN in windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I'm still going back and forth with O2-Ireland about the charges they will levy on my for the current billing period. Unless things change, I'm headed to a EUR 250 billing for the 30 day period (it's typically EUR 85 per month on my plan), while on a generous all-you-can-eat data plan. I'm well below the 2GB limit typically specified for my monthly limitation but there were occasions when I was charged around one euro per megabyte for network data traffic.

O2 tells me I was tethering and that my plan doesn't allow for tethering. I have never connected the Xperia X10 to any other device for O2 data services.

Advertisement