Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If You Could Bring In One Motoring Law...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

All imports from Japan entering the country should be inspected. Engine size and if the engine is turbocharged or has variable valve timing sould be written on the log book.

Im sick of hearing about 17 year olds driving cars 150+BHP insured incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

proper enforcement of current laws would be nice ......

- proper assessment of road speeds and gardai only allowed to set up speed traps in zones less than 80km/hr (where it is actually dangerous to drive fast)
    - proper enforcement of these speed traps - 2km over the limit is still over the feckin limit - you know the limit so drive BELOW it not at the limit !!!, its not a speed to achieve - it is the MAXIMUM speed you should be doing.

- people with Nordy reg cars who live in the south and have owned the vehicle more than 2months (avoiding VRT etc) - car impounded on the spot.
    - cars impounded on the spot for tax/insurance more than 2months out of date.
    - repeat offenders breaching of traffic laws should be given jail sentences (ie. a guy with a 25yr ban on driving - caught driving (amongst other road offences) .... receives a 45yr ban on driving !!!...its just wrong !)
    - minimum of 3 people must travel in an SUV - if you dont have 3 people - dont buy an SUV. (that goes for you on the school run and the soccer moms/dads.
    -Change the bus lanes to car pool lanes (min 2/3 people in the car can use it - will mean less cars on the roads...probably)

not really a motoring law per say but - no clamping - but loads of towing vehicles floating around the city - taking the vehicle away and impounding it €150 to release the vehicle.....ticket wardens/spotters wandering the streets - issuing 15minute warnings - vehicles can be removed to allow other road users to park there.

Parking in a loading/taxi/disabled bay without the appropriate badge/sticker should result in vehicle removed.
    - disabled badges should carry images on the back of the actual person and/or relative designated to assist.

Proper enforcement of this rule of the road - Taxi Drivers are only permitted in a bus lane WHEN transporting a passenger, ordinary drivers using the bus lane €100 fine.

I think I'll stop now..... after all the OP is only asking for changing of ONE motoring law..... so after a quick review:

Proper enforcement of the current laws - no exceptions for gardai, politicians, rich folk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Legalise - filling up your tank and doing a legger at petol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

People who cut lanes on roundabouts while there is other traffic about should be hung on fish hooks by the eyelids. I admit to doing this when I'm sure there is nothing else around me but to the guy in the grey van that did it when I was beside him on the roundabout at Dolly Heffernan's this morning, you're a stupid, blind cnut and first on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Middle lane hoggers on 3 lane cariageways should be shot. Slight dramatisation perhaps but they really make my blood boil:)! Same goes for eejits that will not move over to the driving lane on a 2 lane carriageway even when there is a 'gap' to pull into.

It's bloody annoying having to jump 2 lanes over and back on the N7 every time you want to overtake because of all the retards who sit in the middle lane:mad:.

Unfortunately this is not just confined to Dublin, as driving on the 3 lane part of the South Ring confirms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

PCPhoto wrote: »
    - minimum of 3 people must travel in an SUV - if you dont have 3 people - dont buy an SUV. (that goes for you on the school run and the soccer moms/dads.
    You seem to have missed a major flaw in this plan. These vehicles are often used on school runs and the like. How do you propose the driver is going to get home after dropping the kids off?

I'd introduce an inspection before someone is allowed buy a large jeep, you would have to prove you need it. Anyone attempting to purchase a petrol jeep with no towbar clearly does not need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I'd introduce an inspection before someone is allowed buy a large jeep, you would have to prove you need it. Anyone attempting to purchase a petrol jeep with no towbar clearly does not need one.
    Why not authorise just one type of car that everyone is allowed to buy and be done with it?

My one law would be that drink-driving carries a minimum 5 year jail sentence no matter how far over the limit you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

People who cannot use indicators or use a roundabout correctly should be lined up against a wall and shot. That would be my law. Take them out of the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

- Penalize GARDI for setting up a speed trap on a non-dangerous road

- 5 year ban on any abled person parking in a disabled space

- Complete overhaul of how the disabled car discs are issued, FFS, anybody can get these now

- All above arguments on roundabouts

- MINIMUM speed limits

- Shoot on sight middle-lane hoggers on 3-lane roads

- TRACTORS - They MUST pull in if they have ANY traffic behind them.

- Ban ALL JCB's from doing more than 1km on public roads. Anything more than that MUST go on a low-loader. 5 Year BAN.

- If any slow driver (with/without trailer) that has no traffic in front of them AND also has more than 3 cars behind them on a National or Regional road, no matter the speed, they MUST pull in to let them pass as they are " OBSTRUCTING THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Ban delivery drivers using disabled spaces. I see this every day of the week.:mad:

Now I have a blue disabled card and god help any delivery guy/girl that is using the space that I need so I can get my child out of the car.

There is pictues on the back of the card of the disabled person.

Ban tailgaters that drive up the arse of your car to make you drive quicker.

Teach women drivers some manners, Some just dont know how to drive. (I'm female btw). Its always a women who never lets you out.

Teach cyclists the rules of the road. You know those cyclists who keep swerving out in front of you.

Teach lane discipline as part of driving lessons. All these extra lanes added and people dont know how to use them

Ok rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1. Enforce the existing laws.

2. Make at least three 'full-size' roundabout exercises part of every test and an automatic fail if one is not done right.

3. When turning right at a junction with oncoming traffic that is also turning right, turn BEHIND the first car coming against you, not in front of it blocking everyone's view.

4. Enforce the existing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

spurious wrote: »

3. When turning right at a junction with oncoming traffic that is also turning right, turn BEHIND the first car coming against you, not in front of it blocking everyone's view.

Isn't this already the case? Maybe it's not an offense as such but it's in the Rules of the Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

No horse traps in Urban areas, such as areas of Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Finglas etc where you're guaranteed to see one, followed by a long line of traffic and more often then not a trail of horse sh1te.

Also ban them from National Routes, as I have often seen in far flung parts of the country.

Special Forces sniper at random roundabouts, equiped with a .50 cal rifle like this:
    m82a1.jpg

Anyone acting the maggot will be shot. Like the Touareg driver at Ballymount cross this morning at 08:00 with a 2008 Meath reg who thaught smaller cars can just be crushed when exiting the roundabout straight ahead after entering the roundabout from the right lane. And then gave me his fat middle finger out the drivers window when I created a rucus about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

skelliser wrote: »
    immediate confiscation of cars with broken headlights!!

the bulbs are only ~5 euros and it takes 2 minutes to replace ffs!!!

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Trucks only allowed on the roads between 12am and 8am

And little boy racers and almera drivers i would ban them permanently;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

squod wrote: »

take out the headlight module, seems logical and thats how its done on a lot of cars, that chap went the long way round in that video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

take out the headlight module, seems logical and thats how its done on a lot of cars, that chap went the long way round in that video

I was splanning on doing this on the w/end. Would you know how that's done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

remove the bolt on the top of the headlight module, and then there is possible another bolt or 2 on the front of the module, when all are removed with a bit of wriggling the headlight module should slide out , the cables have a little slack in them and it will be enough to take the module out to change the bulbs easily

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

ON the 05+ Focus, Its a 2 minute job with a flat headed screwdriver.

Headlight is taken off the car! 1 Screw and 1 plastic clip that you push down on and it wiggles free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

A dunces hat system should be brought in,
    People who don't use roundabouts properly and use their phone while driving should have to endure a flashing orange beacon on their roof indicating that they are a danger to others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

Middle lane hoggers on 3 lane cariageways should be shot. Slight dramatisation perhaps but they really make my blood boil:)! Same goes for eejits that will not move over to the driving lane on a 2 lane carriageway even when there is a 'gap' to pull into.

It's bloody annoying having to jump 2 lanes over and back on the N7 every time you want to overtake because of all the retards who sit in the middle lane:mad:.

Unfortunately this is not just confined to Dublin, as driving on the 3 lane part of the South Ring confirms.

Definitely...and anyone calling Lane 2 or Lane 3 "the fast lane" should be beaten with a stick. It is for passing, not drifting along slowly in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

People who don't use roundabouts properly and use their phone while driving should have to endure a flashing orange beacon on their roof indicating that they are a danger to others
    I like it. How about requiring drivers to display L-plate type stickers showing how many points they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jhegarty wrote: »
    Pass a law making Gay take a driving test.

...and failing him.

The first two times around.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Having to re-take your driving test every time it expires (10 years).

pointless if all the other idiots around you have a licence for less than 10 years.

As is, even doing the IAM test, whilst worthy, still puts me on the same road as the numpty's.

Remember: just 'cos you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you..... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

+1 A guy (in a micra!!) decided to change lane while on a roundabout this morning when he realised he was in the wrong one instead of going all the way around. He nearly drove into the side of me until i gave a blast of the horn. I had to swerve out of the way to avoid him hitting me. I probably would have taken the hit on insurance instead of his idiotic driving. It woke me up anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Hmm.
    Anyone cruising down the overtaking lane should be hanged from the nearest bridge....especially cruising at 80. That lane is for overtaking. (The new M9 has the best disciplined drivers for this - all fine til you heat the M7)
    Cyclops drivers. Your car should have two headlights.
    This also goes for drivers who don't bother getting their headlights adjusted.
    Drivers who don't indicate
    Drivers who use your stopping distance to nip in and out. Cmon, stopping distance is there to protect me from the numpty that you have just gone in behind.....yes you.
    Drivers with an insatiable interest in my car's arse - usually those who drive white vans
    People who don't understand roundabouts
    Drivers who don't see motorbikes which brings up the whole mirror thing. I look around behind the wheel but maybe that is cos I started on bikes before I drove cars.
    People who cant park and use up space for two cars.
    Drivers who put loud exhausts on slow cars which make my car vibrate at traffic lights. I then miss the change as I laugh at the other crap they've bulk bought from halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

People who use mobiles while driving(not on a car kit)
    People who text while driving, can these phones be programmed to explode
    AH a new iphone app!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Those stupid people who, in heavy traffic, know the light will go red before they make it, proceed to shove the nose of their car up the arse of the one in front of them, and block off all lanes either side of them so no one can go forward when their lights go green. Grrr :mad:

+1 to no indicating, cruising in the overtaking lane, and not using roundabouts correctly

Shoot people who do not turn off their full lights. Thanks, I don't mind being blinded, its not like i need my sight.

Ignorant people who refuse to let cars pull out at a cross when there's heavy traffic. Like at the Dock Road in Limerick. That place is just mayhem at lunchtime and eveningtime.

Oops, it only said "one". :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

anyone with a hearing aid, walking frame or vag1na is banned from the roads between 11am and 9am, cars only permited for school runs over 10 miles, minimum 140km/h speed on the right hand lane of a motorway (no maximum), boxy starlets banned entirely , motorists having right of way outside of inner city limits , speedramps illegal, anyone with less than 60,000 miles driving experience or over the age of 65 banned from driving in heavy rain, any snow, hailstones, sleet, night, fog , fog lights on without fog punishable by shotgun to the face.

Hey! HEY! i'm a better driver than anyone i'm yet to meet and i'm only on a full licence 3 years(40,000 miles). don't generalise like them dirty insurance companies!!!

I always laugh with mates saying how I'm actually a better driver when I have 3 pints on me than a good few people I know when they're sober! I would just love to actually drink drive on some kind of test track versus some of these people when they're sober to prove my point.

My law would be that you can drink drive in built up areas provided you don't go over 40or50km/h and don't have more than 3 pints or the equivalent for a person who currently goes over the limit at 1pint (basically 3 times the current ridiculously low limit)

What you think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

bigbadbear wrote: »
    What you think??
    I think you oversold it a little to be honest.

Still, i'm sure somebody will be along to swallow the bait, hook, rod and boat shortly.

Advertisement