Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If You Could Bring In One Motoring Law...

Options
  • 28-04-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

....What would it be??

I'd bring in a law that said that only private cars are banned from road between the hours of 9pm and 6am.

Feckin' private cars on MY roads when i'm working gettin in my way!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Trucks only allowed on the roads between 12am and 8am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Undertaking. Anytime. Anywhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Issue anyone who can pass a test in lane discipline with a shotgun and 400 cartridges they're expected to use per month in removing those that can't keep left from the roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Pass a law making Gay take a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

People who don't indicate on roundabouts could legally be hunted during the summer months.

Or (slightly) more realistically, ring fence the multitude of car taxes for public transport, roads, driver education, and enforcement.

Actually the first one is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

flat out speed on the motorway :)

agree with the round abouts :) try going to roscommon :) no one know how to indicate or how to drive on one :) if your on the 2nd lane god ****ing help ya :) drivers on your left will go straight towards ya instead of taking the swerve around the curve...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

immediate confiscation of cars with broken headlights!!

the bulbs are only ~5 euros and it takes 2 minutes to replace ffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone with a hearing aid, walking frame or vag1na is banned from the roads between 11am and 9am, cars only permited for school runs over 10 miles, minimum 140km/h speed on the right hand lane of a motorway (no maximum), boxy starlets banned entirely , motorists having right of way outside of inner city limits , speedramps illegal, anyone with less than 60,000 miles driving experience or over the age of 65 banned from driving in heavy rain, any snow, hailstones, sleet, night, fog , fog lights on without fog punishable by shotgun to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

anyone with less than 60,000 miles driving experience banned from driving in heavy rain, any snow, hailstones, sleet, night, fog
    lol 60000 miles ? mmm how about fuk no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lol 60000 miles ? mmm how about fuk no :)

i did it in less than 2 years , a lot of drivers would have that done in 3-4 years of driving , well , male drivers, we al know who i want off the roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Having to re-take your driving test every time it expires (10 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

150kph limit on the motorways during the summer months. 120kmp for winter.

Lights on all the time.

30 kph limit in all urban centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

jhegarty wrote: »
    Pass a law making Gay take a driving test.

Had to do a double take on that sentence.. ! :)

I'd make people over 65 have to re-sit a fairly straight-forward (10-15 mins) theory test (rules of the road, eye-sight, hearing etc) every 2 years and if they don't get a mark of, let's say, 70%, they've got to resit their driving test.

This wouldn't be too inconvenient at all considering most would be retired at that stage. For those 65+ that find it too inconvenient, we're more than happy that they give up their driving license entirely.
    The remainder who want to continue driving and are over 65 may need to skip a game of bingo in order to pop down to the driving test centre, however.

Might even warrant introducing it for the infamous 17-22 year old age group as well. Like a little bit of a refresher course that might serve to knock them down a peg or two if they've gotten too cocky since they passed their test.
    I know a lot of people can be great on the day of the driving test but everything they've learned goes out the window as they're driving home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

anyone with a hearing aid, walking frame or vag1na is banned from the roads between 11am and 9am, cars only permited for school runs over 10 miles, minimum 140km/h speed on the right hand lane of a motorway (no maximum), boxy starlets banned entirely , motorists having right of way outside of inner city limits , speedramps illegal, anyone with less than 60,000 miles driving experience or over the age of 65 banned from driving in heavy rain, any snow, hailstones, sleet, night, fog , fog lights on without fog punishable by shotgun to the face.
    I'm guessing you don't get much, right? :D

(Well ... apart from driving yourself, ofc ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

I would make it compulsary for any professional driver i.e. truck, bus, van, rep mobile or taxi , to have a hands free phone kit fitted and working. This should form part of the NCT for that vehicle. How many times have you seen drivers of 40ft artics or white-van-man driving with one hand and using the other hand to hold a phone while they conduct their business at the same time. Yes, I know that others use phones while driving, but these people are in these vehicles all day and often do business while on the move. It would be a simple thing for them to have a kit fitted and it could save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

I'd settle for the existing one's being enforced.
    HGV's overtaking on the M4 everyday.
    Took 5Km for a HGV to overtake two slower one's yesterday :mad:
    Hand me that their 12 gauge cletus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

On merge lanes, or at non light controlled junctions drivers must let every second car merge.
    ie: speeding up for the sole intention of preventing someone merge becomes illegal. People found in breech of this are lashed for being ignorant prats.

It's time for people to have some common civility while driving! Why do we all have to become thundering cunts when we get behind the wheel!!

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

All vehicles over 10 years old removed from the road as done in Singapore. Doesn't matter if its a Fiesta or a Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

drivers skiddling up a lane which they know ends just up ahead, only to push out again in front. Way-hay!! I just past 4 cars!!

(see the approach to the Yacht on Clontarf Rd. Dublin. All the blow-ins think there are two lanes there).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Andrew33 wrote: »
    All vehicles over 10 years old removed from the road as done in Singapore. Doesn't matter if its a Fiesta or a Ferrari.

:confused: the point of that being (other than enforcing hardship on a large proportion of the population, forcing them to replace perfectly good cars)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Taxi's:

1) stopping in the middle of the road to pick up/drop off passengers and then getting in a huff when people get impatient while they're looking for change.

2) Doing above with no indication whatsoever.

3) forcing their way out of ranks like it's their God given right to have right of way despite a steady flow of traffic alongside

I'd say a weeks suspension of licence for any of this.

Not all taxi drivers act the maggot in this but there is a very high number relative to private cars imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

People that enter a roundabout in the left lane, only to take the 3rd exit, or even worse, the 4th exit.

Each one of them should be beaten with a bat in public for everyone to see. I hate that ****:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yes,cause we all know that once a car hits the 100,000 mile mark or 10 years of age it is nothing but a pile of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seriously, do a search on carzone for 1999/2000 cars and look at how many perfectly good cars would be off the road.

I don't know if it would be a law, but at the very least, the theory test should be studied and sat in Transition year in school. I'd also make it a lot easier for young fellas to drive the arses out of their car in a controlled environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have the best NEW LAW OF ALL TIME !!!

Make up a lottery system whereby one registered full license driver who registers wins a prize for each county of Ireland EVERY DAY

The Prize is to work as a Traffic Corps officer with FULL POWERS for 24 hours.

1 Member of the public wins this prize each day and gets allocated a day

Another law would be put in place to make sure employers give the employee the day off work rather like jury duty

You do not have to follow the rules of the Sergeant on Duty. You basically pick your roundabout, M50 or whatever place people truly p*ss you off each day and catch all those fvckers you see every day and THROW THE FVCKING BOOK AT THEM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would like enforcement of existing rules and proper retesting of all current drivers starting from the longest held licenses. I know way too many 50+ people who understand little about good driving and plenty who I wouldn't trust with a shopping trolley let alone a a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Berty wrote: »
    I have the best NEW LAW OF ALL TIME !!!

Make up a lottery system whereby one registered full license driver who registers wins a prize for each county of Ireland EVERY DAY

The Prize is to work as a Traffic Corps officer with FULL POWERS for 24 hours.

1 Member of the public wins this prize each day and gets allocated a day

Another law would be put in place to make sure employers give the employee the day off work rather like jury duty

You do not have to follow the rules of the Sergeant on Duty. You basically pick your roundabout, M50 or whatever place people truly p*ss you off each day and catch all those fvckers you see every day and THROW THE FVCKING BOOK AT THEM

Wow this post pretty much shows that this thread is full of power-hungry drivers....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wow this post pretty much shows that this thread is full of power-hungry drivers....

There are the rules of the road and then there are other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I declare troll!

There should be a minimum speed limit on main roads.

Horseboxes should be banned during commuting hours.

Advertisement