Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin cam; hatching expected to start Sunday April 25th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Can't see Robin either- drat. :(

Yippee, it's back! :D

Robin's just got up- still 4 babies and 1 egg. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The 5th egg still hasn't hatched- the other 4 all hatched within a few hours of each other.
    Do you think the 5th egg might be dead, or maybe it was just laid relatively late?

Magenta wrote: »
    The 5th egg still hasn't hatched- the other 4 all hatched within a few hours of each other.
    Do you think the 5th egg might be dead, or maybe it was just laid relatively late?
    Aw, I hope it's just late. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 emptykay1

Delighted it's back - she's a little dote isn't she:)

Fifth one might be dead alright. If it doesn't hatch soon I'd say it is.:( 5 chicks would be a lot to feed - maybe it's nature's way of ensuring the survival of the others

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

She just left the nest - still 4 chicks & the last egg unhatched :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stokke

That too bad :(

If the last egg doesn't hatch, what will she do with it? She could push it out of the nest but if it landed on the ground that might attract predators and also let them know there's a nest in the area... could she eat it?
    If she breaks it and it developed for a decent amount of time there's gonna be a little dead chick inside... :(

• Advertisement

I don't know. She couldn't carry it and may not want to kick it out in case it attracts predators. Maybe it will just stay in the nest till the chicks are fledged? It might not have been a fertile egg to begin with, or maybe it just never got enough heat to incubate - her body might not be large enough to cover 5 eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Eugh... did anyone see a minute ago, mummy came in with a big fly of some sort and fed it to a baby..? It's mad to see all this. Not much going on on the other webcam, can anyone make out any eggs or babies?

Don't think the fifth egg is going to hatch :(

I don't think the other nest has any eggs yet - I think they're still nest-building (probably waiting for a mortgage application to come through!;))

It's amazing, in one day, how fluffy they have got!

Magenta wrote: »
    It's amazing, in one day, how fluffy they have got!
    Yeah- they're starting to look like real birds! :D

Their first haircuts soon I think:rolleyes: Our little quads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Been watching over the past hour. Amazing how much bigger these little guys are today. Much more activity in the nest & mum is constantly back & forth feeding & cleaning. When she comes back to the nest with food she gives a little call & waits for the heads to come up & mouths open - amazing to watch. Can see the 4 chicks but no sign of the 5th egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Does anybody know when the chicks will take their first flight ?

Also, how able are they on their first departure?

the reason I ask is because I got a robin's nest in the garden shed !
    They get in through a missing panel in the front door area , and the panel size is not much bigger than a letterbox.

The nest is a cluster of leaves on the top shelf at the back of the shed , up beside the tins of old paint etc .

I havent been able to get the lawn mower or tools out as I'm afraid to up the little guys !

My main worry though is that the chicks wont be able to fly acurately enough to find the hole to exit .

Can anybody help me with advice ??

Thanks !

any ideas anybody ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Robins usually fledge 12 to 15 days after hatching. Don't worry they'll find their way out. If you are worried and think they can't get through the hole then open the door when you think they are trying to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

brilliant cam, thanks for the link.

Robins usually fledge 12 to 15 days after hatching. Don't worry they'll find their way out. If you are worried and think they can't get through the hole then open the door when you think they are trying to get out.

Thanks Maurice Powerful Winner .
    And any ideas how long they'll plan to live in that nest ?

My friends bike is in the shed and he'll be looking for it any day now !!
    Wouldnt like to upset the little fellas .

the one and only time I opened the door , the robin seen me and he quickly spread flat as possible .
    She lay absolutely flat and silent with a fixed stare at me !

I know it's breakfast time but I have observed that the feeder robin seems to remove the, um, waste matter from the behinds of the wee chicks after dropping worms and bugs in the receiving end. Is this correct? Who knows these things?

I can see the four gobs clearly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And any ideas how long they'll plan to live in that nest ?
    Once they fledge they won't use the nest again.
    Durnish wrote: »
    ...I have observed that the feeder robin seems to remove the, um, waste matter from the behinds of the wee chicks after dropping worms and bugs in the receiving end. Is this correct?

Many birds remove the sacks of feaces to keep the nest clean and to remove evidence of the nest from predators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The nest is a cluster of leaves on the top shelf at the back of the shed , up beside the tins of old paint etc .

I havent been able to get the lawn mower or tools out as I'm afraid to up the little guys !

Thanks !
    Apart from couple days, In my experience, I don't see there being a problem getting mower, bike and tools out as long as its not disturbing the actual nest.

The couple days is just before they fledge (leave nest)
    They may leave the nest a day or 2 early, before they can fly.

Note that Srameen mentioned that they fledge 12-15 days after hatching.

help! The webcam is getting a bit dodgy/wobbly looking, Is it windy down there?

Yeah, it's a bit breezy but warm, luckily. :)

Here, maybe the fifth egg has hatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Great view right now. No adult robins in there and a great clear view of the four chicks.

They have gotten very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My god they grow so fast havent looked in 2 days. The mother looks like she just took out the last bit of shell from the egg that didnt hatch just there.

Advertisement