Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin cam; hatching expected to start Sunday April 25th

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Posted this over in Animals and Pets and was suggested that you lot may like it, though I presume it's been mentioned here already.

Has anybody else been watching the web cam on the nesting box in Derek Mooney's back garden? It's absolutely fascinating. The mother is incubating five eggs, the first of which is expected to start hatching this Sunday (April 25th). The daddy robin can be seen dropping by occasionally to feed his mate.

The camera is very clear and, during the day, there's good light so you see everything.

It's better than a soap opera.

Link.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Thats amazinggg, thank you so much for this link, its great. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Found this link on the same site. It's a blue tits nest, but can't really make anything out at the moment. Maybe there'll be something visible later.

Spoke (or wrote) too soon. saw one coming in, flew out again there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

00112984 wrote: »
    Posted this over in Animals and Pets and was suggested that you lot may like it, though I presume it's been mentioned here already.

Has anybody else been watching the web cam on the nesting box in Derek Mooney's back garden? It's absolutely fascinating. The mother is incubating five eggs, the first of which is expected to start hatching this Sunday (April 25th). The daddy robin can be seen dropping by occasionally to feed his mate.

The camera is very clear and, during the day, there's good light so you see everything.

It's better than a soap opera.

Link.

One chick just hatched!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

First chick hatched about 17.30

and already been fed. :)

make that two hatched

Second chick just arrived, father bird has also been coming and going with food!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

This is brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks to be another egg about to crack open.

I'm taking screenshots of this, will post them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

this is brilliant, I happened on it just in time for the hatching.

Think there are three chicks now. I had ventured away for a shower and when I came back there looked to be three little heads underneath when the mother moved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant. The kids were glued to it and really wanted to see another one hatched before bedtime. Hopefully there'll be two more little heads in there in the morning :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, I'm loving this! It is like a Robin soap opera! :D
    Still 2 eggs left that I can see. Come on guys, hatch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Magenta wrote: »
    I'm taking screenshots of this, will post them later.

Please do, I was out all day and missed all the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Looks like either three or four have hatched. I think it's four but I'm not seeing much movement from one little guy :( Hope he's just tired and will be moving more later.

Screen shot of three hungry mouths when the mother left the nest at 22.43 tonight.

386194155.jpg

00112984 wrote: »
    Please do, I was out all day and missed all the action.

Uploading now :)

Here we go :)

75682183.jpg
    12663286.jpg
    52278983.jpg
    36404180.jpg
    13415848.jpg
    82965962.jpg
    63134571.jpg
    12260390.jpg
    32976276.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I wonder is she going to get to sleep tonight at all...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wonder is she going to get to sleep tonight at all...?
    I doubt it..:D Shes been on the go all day fair play. What is she doing with the egg shells?

anniehoo wrote: »
    I doubt it..:D Shes been on the go all day fair play. What is she doing with the egg shells?

After each chick hatched, she removed the shells from the nest.

She has just left the nest again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

After each chick hatched, she removed the shells from the nest.
    Ah cool thanks. Its fascinating isnt it? The dad brought a massive catterpillar to her earlier and she scoffed it down. I get really addicted to these kind of things :o so better stop watching soon..have to be up early tomorrow.

Is there still one lad left to hatch? 5?

And she is back. :D

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ah cool thanks. Its fascinating isnt it? The dad brought a massive catterpillar to her earlier and she scoffed it down. I get really addicted to these kind of things :o so better stop watching soon..have to be up early tomorrow.

Is there still one lad left to hatch? 5?

Yeah if you look at the 5th photo you can see a caterpillar in her mouth.
    That screenshot was taken this evening, we were probably watching at the same time! :) I'm addicted...
    I wonder why she removes the eggshells. She does it as soon as the chick is hatched. Maybe she does it to try and minimise the scent of the nest?

I love when she is settling herself down into the nest. She shakes herself a bit to spread her feathers all over the chicks, it looks like she is doing a Beyonce shimmy :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love when she is settling herself down into the nest. She shakes herself a bit to spread her feathers all over the chicks, it looks like she is doing a Beyonce shimmy :)
    Yeah, I love that, it's so cute! :)
    Great screenshots by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emptykay1

I tried to log on again this morning but I can't get a picture or live streaming - my screen is just blank. Has this happened to anyone else? I hope she and the chicks are alright!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

emptykay1 wrote: »
    I tried to log on again this morning but I can't get a picture or live streaming - my screen is just blank. Has this happened to anyone else? I hope she and the chicks are alright!:confused:

Same here - maybe a technical fault? Hope ll is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I can't get it to show up either. The robin obviously wanted some privacy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emptykay1

If the camera is broken they won't be able to fix it - no-one will be able to go near the nest or they'll frighten the mother away.

I can't get it to load either :(

Did anyone see if the 5th egg hatched yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I can not see the Robin's nest either. But now the Blue Tit's camera has started broadcasting.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/features/mooneycam/bluetitcam.html

Advertisement