Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Station Imaging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

FM104's is pretty good but not as good as it was until May 2011. They brought in a new Irish voice who sounded very boring, and have since replaced her with another Irish female back in July.

IMO - 104 sounded best in 2007, they have had Marc Silk (US Male v/o) for years and they had Julie Love (I think thats her name) - Scottish female who did work for Clyde 1 in Glasgow. In '07, they also ran the 2004 Music4 'Radio City' package - It sounded great on air (Adrian Kennedy used one of the jingles).

Take a listen here: http://www.jinglenews.com/audio/airchecks/fm104_140607.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

gavindowd wrote: »
    I think Dave Foxx and Becki Miller sound great on 98

4FMs imaging is also good - perhaps the 98 tag line 'now is good' is the underlying issue at 98FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

104 really need to bring the pitch down on their songs to normal pitch again, sounds awful, cheap and teenage discoish.

Radio 1 still on top for me - closely followed by Capital FM and SPIN 1038.

https://soundcloud.com/jinglenews/bbc-radio-1-updates-from-pure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

RedFM in Cork is still godawful. Mainly due to the droning inflection of the woman who does it, because it's otherwise generic enough. She's like Lloyd Grossman on Quaaludes.

On a show to show basis, not that I listen much, but Derek Mooney's are particularly bad-the louder and more raucous the background music, the better. Very dischordant. And he does that daft thing (which Red FM) also do, where they repeat a key phrase...a...key...phrase after every second sentence, complete with funny echo. Not forgetting the random whooshes between segments. Pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

I had to sign up to post something. I work in radio.I don't think any of you do. Apart from the people who post how good their stuff is , i.e. 'Fago', the imaging on Spin is great. You have no idea about identities and how to keep a continuous sound. Also, when so many sponsors are involved, you have to bend over for them also. However, even with all the money in the world, there are all a lot of folk who think that sung jingles suck.

Surely people don't have to work in radio to comment on it? There wouldn't be much point in working in radio in the first place if there wasn't an audience, no?

For me, it comes down to, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." As, I suspect, does every other listener.

Yes.But you should really learn a little more about how a radio station works before you cast a review. Are you there when the painting is being painted?

Nope.

But I'd argue that the end result is everything!

And subjective, in that opinions vary, that too.

Many people on the Radio forum work directly in the business, some even verified representatives.

I myself do also but to be honest if a station employs a head of station imaging/production there is no excuse for stale imaging or promos.

If someone comments on how great SPIN's imaging is well, they've done it right. They've created an IMAGE that people remember. Take SPIN South West for example they ran very successful imaging back when they started with the tagline/rhyming jingle "102, 103 and 94.7 SPIN..SPIN South West!" people remember the name when you say SPIN people instantly know what you're talking about, job done!

Any producer worth their money with a bit of creativity can work a sponsor into their imaging very easily. I do agree with RoundyMooney about Red FM's imaging though, way past it's sell by date. Their top of hour and out of break imaging has been the same for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Radio 1 still on top for me - closely followed by Capital FM and SPIN 1038.

https://soundcloud.com/jinglenews/bbc-radio-1-updates-from-pure

Completely agree with this and in that order but I'd have SPIN 1038 ahead of Capital.

104 really need to bring the pitch down on their songs to normal pitch again, sounds awful, cheap and teenage discoish.

Sounds great on KISS Fm Uk but not so much on 104 unfortunately

Many people on the Radio forum work directly in the business, some even verified representatives.

I myself do also but to be honest if a station employs a head of station imaging/production there is no excuse for stale imaging or promos.

If someone comments on how great SPIN's imaging is well, they've done it right. They've created an IMAGE that people remember. Take SPIN South West for example they ran very successful imaging back when they started with the tagline/rhyming jingle "102, 103 and 94.7 SPIN..SPIN South West!" people remember the name when you say SPIN people instantly know what you're talking about, job done!

Any producer worth their money with a bit of creativity can work a sponsor into their imaging very easily. I do agree with RoundyMooney about Red FM's imaging though, way past it's sell by date. Their top of hour and out of break imaging has been the same for years.

Firstly,

SPIN's imaging is not at all made/produced in-house, it was brought in from Puretonic Media (Now part of Reelworld). And 98fm's jingles were made by Puretonic, but their imaging by Benztown Branding (I'm pretty sure).

The Red fm jingles were purchased in 2004, it must be costly for them as a station as they have to pay back 15% of the purchase price each year that they use the jingles. It is rare to see a station with jingles for that long. I think their imaging is great, but for some reason that Irish female gets on everyone's nerves.

That Spin South West jingle is no longer being used, insted they have generic 'SPIN' jingles.

Firstly,

SPIN's imaging is not at all made/produced in-house, it was brought in from Puretonic Media (Now part of Reelworld). And 98fm's jingles were made by Puretonic, but their imaging by Benztown Branding (I'm pretty sure).

The Red fm jingles were purchased in 2004, it must be costly for them as a station as they have to pay back 15% of the purchase price each year that they use the jingles. It is rare to see a station with jingles for that long. I think their imaging is great, but for some reason that Irish female gets on everyone's nerves.

That Spin South West jingle is no longer being used, insted they have generic 'SPIN' jingles.

98FM have their own in house imaging producer for specifically imaging. But buy their ramps and sungs from another company.

SPIN South West don't just use generic jingles they have got ones that specifically say "SPIN South West" I've heard them yesterday, they've reworked them into their new imaging.

SPIN 1038 on the other hand only buy ramps and sung jingles from Puretonic the rest of their imaging is produced in house.

98FM have their own in house imaging producer for specifically imaging. But buy their ramps and sungs from another company.

SPIN South West don't just use generic jingles they have got ones that specifically say "SPIN South West" I've heard them yesterday, they've reworked them into their new imaging.

SPIN 1038 on the other hand only buy ramps and sung jingles from Puretonic the rest of their imaging is produced in house.

I am aware that SPIN and 98fm have their own commercial producers (Lisa Dignam and Paul Duffy), but I don't think that they produce the imaging.

Paul in 98 might, but I know for a fact that Puretonic Media produce SPIN's imaging and sung jingles.

EDIT: Paul Duffy definitely produces the imaging for 98fm, still unsure about SPIN. Puretonic used to have demos of their imaging on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

Paul Duffy moved to 4FM about 18 months ago. John O'Keeffe, formerly of iRadio, moved to 98 at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

eiresandra wrote: »
    Paul Duffy moved to 4FM about 18 months ago. John O'Keeffe, formerly of iRadio, moved to 98 at the same time.

PPI Award winner John O Keeffe..ha ha but yes he works at 98 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LisaSpin

I am aware that SPIN and 98fm have their own commercial producers (Lisa Dignam and Paul Duffy), but I don't think that they produce the imaging.

Paul in 98 might, but I know for a fact that Puretonic Media produce SPIN's imaging and sung jingles.

EDIT: Paul Duffy definitely produces the imaging for 98fm, still unsure about SPIN. Puretonic used to have demos of their imaging on their website

Hi Gavin,

Lisa - Spin Production Manager here :)

Don't usually post at all but just want to set the record straight in regards Spin 1038 imaging.

While we used to get all our imaging from Puretonic. We currently produce all our imaging in house.

We do still use the sung jingles and beds from Puretonic however.

Paul Duffy is no longer with 98, he's with 4fm at the moment!

Either way - it's nice to see all the positive comments here and I'm glad you all, for the most part, seem to like it,

Thanks,

L

LisaSpin wrote: »
    Hi Gavin,

Lisa - Spin Production Manager here :)

Don't usually post at all but just want to set the record straight in regards Spin 1038 imaging.

While we used to get all our imaging from Puretonic. We currently produce all our imaging in house.

We do still use the sung jingles and beds from Puretonic however.

Paul Duffy is no longer with 98, he's with 4fm at the moment!

Either way - it's nice to see all the positive comments here and I'm glad you all, for the most part, seem to like it,

Thanks,

L

Sorry about the confusion, thanks for clearing things up and keep up the good work! :)

PS. If you can please the anorak's on the forums, you can please virtually anyone

Am I right that iRadio (who have great imaging) use the Clyde 1 news bed?

• Advertisement

Nice YouTube channel with a lot of UK radio station jingles on it, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/UKRadioJingles?feature=watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

In the Radio 1 video, it has some of my favourites and some additional imaging to the Soundcloud link you posted.

Came across these before, the best have to be the Trent/Red Dragon/Capital ones and the KMFM Extra jingles are great, pity the station doesn't exist anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 panic2000

All the youth station have great imaging..red fm been the worst..way to many random gingles..bit all over the shop..1038 and spinsw imaging sounds way better since it was made in house.dont want to get started on 2fm.be here all night.

Iradio's ppi winning package last year was outstanding I thought

panic2000 wrote: »
    Adont want to get started on 2fm.be here all night.

Was just searching online and found that 2fm were looking for an imaging voice/producer. Don't know if you've heard the new promo for the concerts on the station.... Uses the Far East Movement's Get Up, dosen't really suit the station but I really like the voice over (I think its Enda Murphy from 4fm).

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Iradio's ppi winning package last year was outstanding I thought

Does that mean you did it? I'm sorry,but I just find some of these posts sooo random...

Chris 80 wrote: »
    Does that mean you did it? I'm sorry,but I just find some of these posts sooo random...

There is a reason this is an IMAGING thread.

There is a reason this is an IMAGING thread.

Woah! Did I hit a nerve there? I know it's an imaging thread, but when people continuously plug one particular station, you do wonder......

• Advertisement

Chris 80 wrote: »

I wish...no I didn't.i know John who did tho and have an interest in radio

Advertisement