Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Station Imaging

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

What station do you think has the best on-air imaging (jingles, liners, promos, voiceovers...etc...)?

Mine would be BBC Radio 1. Chris Moyles' jingles are unbelieveable, his American voice over guy is brilliant. Radio 1 have a great sound all through the day. It's young, fresh and stylish and brilliantly produced

On our side of the pond, Spin 103.8 would be the best IMO. The VOs, the promos, jingles..... As with Radio 1, it's fresh, catchy and well produced.

My least favorite would be RTE 2FM or Dublin's 98FM.... 2FM because it should be miles better. 98 purely because I hate the voice guy! Yucky.

Aye? What about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I haven't listened to it in a good while now, but Talksports imaging was quite good. Most of it done by ex-The Bill actor, Steven Hartley.

The Most annoying has to be Newstalk's - "Different nation, Different station", "Listen...think...now...feel" and the latest one which I can't think of at the moment, but I know it irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Radio 1 and Spin's imaging makes me cringe. Makes me think of the radio station where Garth and Wayne go for an interview to promote their festival, or the "Dingo and the baby" episode of Family Guy! Or worse still...Atlantic 252's naff as hell imaging.

I usually navigate away from a radio station that uses a faux-yanky voiceover guy or too many fx in their sweepers etc. It does my head in.

I think 6music's is good (they're up for a Sony award for best station imaging this year), and 2FM's is inoffensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Try 96FM in Cork. They use Sandy Thomas and he leaves the rest in the shade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Radio 1 and Spin's imaging makes me cringe. Makes me think of the radio station where Garth and Wayne go for an interview to promote their festival, or the "Dingo and the baby" episode of Family Guy! Or worse still...Atlantic 252's naff as hell imaging.

I usually navigate away from a radio station that uses a faux-yanky voiceover guy or too many fx in their sweepers etc. It does my head in.

I think 6music's is good (they're up for a Sony award for best station imaging this year), and 2FM's is inoffensive.

6Music is good...

I love the Yank voiceovers (Except when it's a guy doing a crap american accent)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I dont even want to mention his name cos Im afraid it will end up in a I love/hate him, but I love Ray Foleys jingles. I like the today FM jingles for the station too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,063 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely the whole american voiceovers thing has had its day - ten years ago, in fact. Sounds utterly jaded and worn out to me, on any station. We're not in the US and its not somewhere we should aim to ape culturally either.

MYOB wrote: »
    Surely the whole american voiceovers thing has had its day - ten years ago, in fact. Sounds utterly jaded and worn out to me, on any station. We're not in the US and its not somewhere we should aim to ape culturally either.

Yeah we should have Arab voiceovers!
    sorrywhat wrote: »
    I dont even want to mention his name cos Im afraid it will end up in a I love/hate him, but I love Ray Foleys jingles. I like the today FM jingles for the station too.

I love his jingles too, but I think he should update them...

It's the same company that make hris Moyles' jingles. www.music4.com He updates his all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fago! wrote: »
    I love his jingles too, but I think he should update them...

It's the same company that make hris Moyles' jingles. www.music4.com He updates his all the time...

Agreed re: Foley's jingles - I think they're excellent and perfect for that show and timeslot.

Certainly, it'd be great if he updated them more often, like Moyles does - but there's a huge difference in the budget of Today FM for things like that and that of BBC Radio 1 - especially these days!

Yeah we should have Arab voiceovers!

No, this is Ireland, we should have IRISH voiceovers rather than some chump doing a cod-American accent.

Bard wrote: »
    Agreed re: Foley's jingles - I think they're excellent and perfect for that show and timeslot.

Certainly, it'd be great if he updated them more often, like Moyles does - but there's a huge difference in the budget of Today FM for things like that and that of BBC Radio 1 - especially these days!

Good point.

*SAVE UP YER POCKET MONEY FOLEY!!!!*

Moyles' jingles actually make me tingle inside. The whole choir thing is brilliant.

The cheesy song is excellent!

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/119/bbc-radio-1/jingles.html

The first three tracks ^^^^^

• Advertisement

Yes but you have to judge it against the frankly disgustingly large budget he has for that show. When you have millions of the public's money to spend on your jingles, of course they'll be amazing.

No, this is Ireland, we should have IRISH voiceovers rather than some chump doing a cod-American accent.

Irish VOs suck TBH! They suck. Really they do.

Yes but you have to judge it against the frankly disgustingly large budget he has for that show. When you have millions of the public's money to spend on your jingles, of course they'll be amazing.

RE Foley and Moyles' jingles, that's a fair point. I reckon Today Fm can splurge out on a new set for Foley. I like the jingles, but the music needs to be freshened up. Hearing the same piece of jingle music every day is annoying even if there is different lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Irish VOs suck TBH! They suck. Really they do.

Er... really? What examples are you basing this sweeping generalisation on?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Can't abide the female voice over they use on Newstalk for the Premiership, the adverts on the Breakfast show, Talking History and the rest. She also appears on Country Mix.

Not sure what effect she is trying for but it makes my skin crawl.

Bard wrote: »
    Er... really? What examples are you basing this sweeping generalisation on?

Every irish VO I've ever heard. The main one I remember is Phantom's and Today Fm's voiceovers. More so the female one on Today Fm. She annoys me.

Also the Stupid irish voices on ads.

RE Foley and Moyles' jingles, that's a fair point. I reckon Today Fm can splurge out on a new set for Foley. I like the jingles, but the music needs to be freshened up. Hearing the same piece of jingle music every day is annoying even if there is different lyrics.

True. Any producer worth their salt can knock up sweepers and jingles at a very low cost to the station. I was able to make some decent ones after teaching myself Adobe Audition for about a week! And they're fun to make so I think there's no excuse for hearing the same jingles over and over again.

re: Irish accents in station imaging - I honestly would prefer to hear Irish accents rather than American or *shudder* an Irish person putting on an American accent. It makes me cringe. But I know what you mean about some Irish voiceovers affecting a posh or bogger accent. It can be just as bad.

True. Any producer worth their salt can knock up sweepers and jingles at a very low cost to the station. I was able to make some decent ones after teaching myself Adobe Audition for about a week! And they're fun to make so I think there's no excuse for hearing the same jingles over and over again..

Yeah I'm pretty good at making jingles and imaging and stuff. It's quite enjoyable...
    re: Irish accents in station imaging - I honestly would prefer to hear Irish accents rather than American or *shudder* an Irish person putting on an American accent. It makes me cringe. But I know what you mean about some Irish voiceovers affecting a posh or bogger accent. It can be just as bad.

Yeah a good Irish VO I can stick. but not the terrible ones who try to put on an accent or *IMO* are trying to sound different then to how they actually sound. If it's done well, grand. If not, fack off ya hacks.

Plus I'm just biast towards the American VO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm biased against bad voiceovers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

+1 BBC Radio Chris Moyles Show, they really are good and the new ones for this year have a very classy sound

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/632/bbc-radio-1/chris-moyles-jingles-january-2010.html

Check out the Ferne Cotton

and when he was stuck in NYC because of the Ash cloud

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/641/bbc-radio-1/bbc-radio-1-chris-moyles-stuck-in-new-york-jingles-april-2010.html

• Advertisement

+1 BBC Radio Chris Moyles Show, they really are good and the new ones for this year have a very classy sound

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/632/bbc-radio-1/chris-moyles-jingles-january-2010.html

Check out the Ferne Cotton

and when he was stuck in NYC because of the Ash cloud

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/641/bbc-radio-1/bbc-radio-1-chris-moyles-stuck-in-new-york-jingles-april-2010.html

I'm not a fan of this years jingles. I liked the old jazzy ones. I don't like the remix of the cheesy song. The old one had more UMPH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

beat 102 103 sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 20 klypso

vince wrote: »
    beat 102 103 sounds good
    Here they are with a few other audio clips too: http://www.jinglenews.com/2009/02/24/beat-102-103-2009/

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i wish i could pick up beat all over west cork its better than the rest and old skool sunday what a show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 i am niamh

Similar to Beat Galway bay fm and LMFMs nighttime Programme use similar if not the same. not sure whose producing it but sounds great. Really hits vocals while delivering the message. Very radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

i am niamh wrote: »
    Similar to Beat Galway bay fm and LMFMs nighttime Programme use similar if not the same. not sure whose producing it but sounds great. Really hits vocals while delivering the message. Very radio 1

Sorry to dig up old threads but the guy that your talking about is Enda Caldwell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

gavindowd wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up old threads but the guy that your talking about is Enda Caldwell...

Its been the best part of 3 years now since this was last discussed, lot of change since then, think we should probably discuss this again now? any changes, anything really good out there or really bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

Interesting thread. I'd be interested to hear from posters with experience in jingle production if you'd like to produce some Irish voiced jingles for our online radio station (RadioActive.ie). We've a small budget and really like to promote Irish talent. So if you're interested, leave me a private message. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It is 3 years and Spin are still on top imho - 98 still lag far behind....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Infoanon wrote: »
    It is 3 years and Spin are still on top imho - 98 still lag far behind....

I think Dave Foxx and Becki Miller sound great on 98

Advertisement