Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I think we have left ourselves too much work to do. But stranger things have happened. It took the team too long to get into the swing of things at the start of the year and we dropped points when the win went a begging.

Same could have been said any of the last ten seasons, its par for the course.history repeating over and over.
    Good to see some modicum of form materialise finally.
    Beat Scarlets and onwards and upwards.
    What's the story with all injured players in limbo?
    Will the irfu give us dispensation to borrow a few benchwarmers from other provinces to tie us over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

S12b wrote: »
    You talk about identifying form players versus non-form players and sticking with experience but can you actually expressly set out what you mean.

Our current pack, barring a few injuries is basically the same group of 12 or so guys we have been working from all season. The only forwards I believe you could fairly say were out of form at some stage during this season are Muldowney and George. George was only being picked when McKeon was injured. Muldowney is now getting his game and is starting to go well.

In the backs, the two golden oldies (Duffy and Parks) were terrible at the start of the season. I was looking for both of them to be dropped for a good while. With the return to form of TOH and Leader's breakthrough, Duffy's days seem to have passed. In fairness to Dan, he has turned it around since he was dropped around Christmas time and has been very good for the last few games.

So as I say, I'm genuinely interested to see you expand on what you said because from what I can see, no out of form players (Duffy and Parks aside) were being selected throughout the season.

OK,I typed in big long answer on tablet which I've lost. so here is the shortened version
    - when toh went in at fullback against zebre in the first game of the pro12 it was obvious there was someone better than Gavin
    - fionn, our leading try scorer, has been our leading try giver
    - griffin has turned over more ball than any centre this year
    - Robbie has learnt to not kick ball but still is unaware of options around him
    - Dan chucks ball out fast to elude tackle but does offer opportunities to wingers when he plays
    - ronaldson has proved himself as a quality centre but a poor out half
    - marmion is finally breaking lines by himself. he has already had a good season but now he is getting even better
    - McKeon is simply quality
    - Muldoon is a great servant but
    - George was a favourite but very poor this season
    - muldowney has been a huge disappointment. thought he would simply walk into swiftys place
    - Craig Clarke, most important player Connacht have
    - Buckley, fine talent, completely destroyed last weekend
    - jhw fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

ouncer wrote: »
    OK,I typed in big long answer on tablet which I've lost. so here is the shortened version
    - when toh went in at fullback against zebre in the first game of the pro12 it was obvious there was someone better than Gavin
    - Dan chucks ball out fast to elude tackle but does offer opportunities to wingers when he plays
    - marmion is finally breaking lines by himself. he has already had a good season but now he is getting even better
    - muldowney has been a huge disappointment. thought he would simply walk into swiftys place
    - jhw fantastic
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Wait, so you mean that after 30mins of utter dominance that resulted in the entire Dragons front row being taken off, that Buckley was completely destroyed?
    I thought that asides missing the bind a couple times that he still did well. In fact I can vividly remember Rodney twice getting some airtime in the scrum as he popped up under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

but what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Same could have been said any of the last ten seasons, its par for the course.history repeating over and over.
    Good to see some modicum of form materialise finally.
    Beat Scarlets and onwards and upwards.
    What's the story with all injured players in limbo?
    Will the irfu give us dispensation to borrow a few benchwarmers from other provinces to tie us over?

True but this year we've genuinely looked like contenders more often than not. any run to 6th before would of had the look of luck. This year we have a better squad than before and are trying something new. Like I said we threw away too many matches early on. I see us being a lot more consistent next season.

Re Buckley and the game plan last week. When you force the opposition to change like we did that's a player doing well, and if like it did you stagnate a bit the best thing is to keep doing the fundamentals go through your game plan and you will reap rewards. There's no point forcing the issue looking for scores. Look at Edinburgh away we were in contention on the score board up until 20-15 to go tried to force it and got embarrassed for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

- jhw fantastic

Thanks for the response but you didn't answer the question. You originally said out of form players were being picked over in form players but all you have done above is list issues you have with first team players rather than backing up your statements by suggesting alternative players to replace all of these seemingly out of form players.

Are you saying the above players have been poor at various times and should have been replaced? And if so, by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

God I hope JHW is fit for this game. I think our slim hopes away from home are dependent on him with his darts to set up the maul.

I do hope if there is a tight kick for 3 points on offer against the Scarlets we turn it down and go for the corner. Our maul is that good I think we will end up with tries from 5m out close to every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Name Position Team
    Tristan Moran LH Prop Bay of Plenty
    Ross Kennedy Lock Hawkes Bay
    Alex Ryan Lock Southland
    Michael Fitzgerald Lock Manawatu
    Adam Bradey Flanker Hawkes Bay
    Brendon O'Connor Flanker Canterbury
    Shane Christie Flanker Canterbury
    Scott McKee Number 8 Southland
    Kylem O'Donnell Scrum-half Taranaki
    Matt Saunders Centre Southland
    Michael Collins Centre Otago
    Kieran Moffat Centre Otago
    Sam Monaghan Wing Canterbury
    Declan O'Donnell Wing Waikato

Took this from Ulsterfans

It's a list of players in Super Rugby who have some Irish backgrounds, a la Sean Maitland with Scotland or Michael Bent.

These would be the players the IRFU would like the provinces to take an interest in and scout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Team unchanged again

Head Coach Pat Lam has once again named an unchanged Connacht side for the trip to Scarlets on Sunday, March 30th, kick off 2:05pm.

Hooker Jason Harris-Wright will earn his 40th cap for the province on Sunday afternoon, starting in a front row with Denis Buckley and last week’s try scorer Rodney Ah You.

Galway-man John Muldoon, who has touched down for four tries in the last two games, will captain the side from the back row.

23-year-old Eoin Griffin made an impressive 21 tackles against the Dragons last week and will again partner Dave McSharry in the centre as the team look to record their fifth successive win in the competition.

Commenting on the team selection and the upcoming game, Head Coach Pat Lam said:

“Being able to put out the same team for the third fixture in a row is testament to the performance of those players selected. The recent team performances have been driven by huge competition for places within the squad. Our training has certainly gone up another level in the last number of weeks and we have some experienced and quality players in key positions all pushing hard for a starting place. It makes selection tough in one way but it is also great to see the guys named striving to perform on behalf of the entire squad.

“It’s always been a challenge going over to play Scarlets and it’s been nearly ten years since we’ve won at Llanelli. The fact that both sides are now fighting for a top six finish definitely adds some spice. Scarlets have just come off the back of two losses and will see us as a winnable game at home, especially with the amount of internationals they have in their squad. Despite the number of injuries we have, there is a real confidence and belief in our game and the process we need to go through to achieve the different milestones we’ve set out for ourselves.“

Connacht line-up v Scarlets

15. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Tiernan O’Halloran
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Dave McSharry
    11. Fionn Carr
    10. Dan Parks
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Aly Muldowney
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Nathan White
    19. Michael Swift
    20. Andrew Browne
    21. Frank Murphy
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Darragh Leader

Unavailable/Injured: Brett Wilkinson, Sean Henry, James Rael, Craig Clarke, Jake Heenan, Willie Faloon, Aaron Conneely, Paul O’Donohoe, Craig Ronaldson, Matt Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

having JHW for this is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

freyners wrote: »
    having JHW for this is huge

Ya it is, I only hope he hasn't been rushed back and is 100 % fit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Name Position Team
    Tristan Moran LH Prop Bay of Plenty
    Ross Kennedy Lock Hawkes Bay
    Alex Ryan Lock Southland
    Michael Fitzgerald Lock Manawatu
    Adam Bradey Flanker Hawkes Bay
    Brendon O'Connor Flanker Canterbury
    Shane Christie Flanker Canterbury
    Scott McKee Number 8 Southland
    Kylem O'Donnell Scrum-half Taranaki
    Matt Saunders Centre Southland
    Michael Collins Centre Otago
    Kieran Moffat Centre Otago
    Sam Monaghan Wing Canterbury
    Declan O'Donnell Wing Waikato

Took this from Ulsterfans

It's a list of players in Super Rugby who have some Irish backgrounds, a la Sean Maitland with Scotland or Michael Bent.

These would be the players the IRFU would like the provinces to take an interest in and scout

I thought Declan O'Donnel as he'd played 7's was tied to NZ now.

Connacht vs scarlets on rte2hd with Shane Horgan and Donal lenihan offering analysis. Munster vs Leinster game only on tg4. we must be moving up the value chain:-)

All im seeing is RTE would rather go all the way to ways than down the M50 to the SG:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All im seeing is RTE would rather go all the way to ways than down the M50 to the SG:P

Yeah, cheaper to take the BBC Wales camera feed and send a microphone and 2 commentators to Wales than a whole OB unit to Galway...

evil_seed wrote: »

rolling back the years swifty was always in the middle of things no matter how the game was going while joc and Muldoon blew hot and cold. my point is, and this is my personal opinion, is that Muldoon is great when the team is great but tends to be invisible when the team is struggling. and I think scarlets is going to be no easy game this weekend. Connacht will not do what they did to dragons last weekend.

evil_seed wrote: »

sorry double post

rolling back the years swifty was always in the middle of things no matter how the game was going while joc and Muldoon blew hot and cold. my point is, and this is my personal opinion, is that Muldoon is great when the team is great but tends to be invisible when the team is struggling. and I think scarlets is going to be no easy game this weekend. Connacht will not do what they did to dragons last weekend.

Yeah, 4 tries in 2 games, he's playing sh1t alright...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah, 4 tries in 2 games, he's playing sh1t alright...

this is not what I said

• Advertisement

this is not what I said

but your still not making sense. If even what you say is true then your advocating get rid of a player who is quite clearly hot at the moment. It doesnt make sense

Your point on Buckley is also quite clearly at odds with what happened on the pitch

this is not what I said

You criticised Muldoon for something you perceive to be a problem with his game in the past, just after 2 games where he's scored 4 tries. Nonsense stuff. But as usual, you'll deny you criticised him, then wait til he does have a bad game so you can be "proved right". Same with Buckley, had a stormer last week and helped to demolish the opposition front row, but he was "completely destroyed last weekend".

Can I have some of those drugs you're taking? That's good sh1t...

but your still not making sense. If even what you say is true then your advocating get rid of a player who is quite clearly hot at the moment. It doesnt make sense

Your point on Buckley is also quite clearly at odds with what happened on the pitch

freyners, if you search through my posts I would be the first person to support Buckley as first choice. however I don't accept that what I said is at odds with what happened on the pitch. Duncan destroyed Buckley to the point that the scrum became ineffective. so stuff happens and we no longer had an advantage. as said I just want a team that can change with the times. instead we had 30 odd minutes of terrible rugby until bell got replaced. it follows my argument that Muldoon is great while things are great but if you reviewed the game Muldoon was, as I say, invisible when times got tough. McKeon was as usual consistently quality. the loss of Clarke is our biggest loss going forward.

finally I don't advocate getting rid of Muldoon. I suggest when games are in the balance he is not my favourite

freyners, if you search through my posts I would be the first person to support Buckley as first choice. however I don't accept that what I said is at odds with what happened on the pitch. Duncan destroyed Buckley to the point that the scrum became ineffective. so stuff happens and we no longer had an advantage. as said I just want a team that can change with the times. instead we had 30 odd minutes of terrible rugby until bell got replaced. it follows my argument that Muldoon is great while things are great but if you reviewed the game Muldoon was, as I say, invisible when times got tough. McKeon was as usual consistently quality. the loss of Clarke is our biggest loss going forward.

finally I don't advocate getting rid of Muldoon. I suggest when games are in the balance he is not my favourite

Absolute self-contradictory nonsense. If Buckley was "destroyed", our scrum would have been collapsing, going backwards at a rate of knots, or Buckley would have been yellow carded. None of that happened. After half an hour of utter dominance, Buckley came up against a bigger prop with a jersey painted onto him, couldn't get a grip and lost his bind a couple of times. Instead of being totally dominant, there was parity in the scrum, as is usual in a lot of games. Equating parity in the scrum with a prop being "destroyed" is ridiculous nonsense.

Sorry getting parity does not mean he got destroyed, it means parity:rolleyes:

Sorry getting parity does not mean he got destroyed, it means parity:rolleyes:

strangely if you view my previous posts on the matter I indicated the exact word parity. Buckley was taken out of the equation, could not bind, hence scrum was brought to 'parity'. I have made my views clear on this matter. he was unable to compete so an alternative strategy was required. instead it was 30 minutes of terrible rugby against a team that was awful.

I don't see anything from your posts that change my viewpoint. I would be interested with my 'impression' that Muldoon disappears when the going gets tough?

I also beg the question is the same team selection the answer for every game. if you take the scarlets game I simply ask the question how would you play this game. should we be outright aggressive, should we try and hold our lines. they have many internationals back in their squad. how do you react to that? we have won the weakest of games, is our current selection ready to win a big game. who are the weaknesses? what is the proper game strategy? just floating the questions, Muldoon being one of them

strangely if you view my previous posts on the matter I indicated the exact word parity. Buckley was taken out of the equation, could not bind, hence scrum was brought to 'parity'. I have made my views clear on this matter. he was unable to compete so an alternative strategy was required. instead it was 30 minutes of terrible rugby against a team that was awful.

I don't see anything from your posts that change my viewpoint. I would be interested with my 'impression' that Muldoon disappears when the going gets tough?

I also beg the question is the same team selection the answer for every game. if you take the scarlets game I simply ask the question how would you play this game. should we be outright aggressive, should we try and hold our lines. they have many internationals back in their squad. how do you react to that? we have won the weakest of games, is our current selection ready to win a big game. who are the weaknesses? what is the proper game strategy? just floating the questions, Muldoon being one of them
    No you said he got completely destroyed, right here
    Buckley, fine talent, completely destroyed last weekend

destroyed does not equal parity. Stop pretending otherwise

Your muldoon point would hold some water if you could point to examples. In our bad games he has still been one of our better tacklers, not the swifty like hits, but the chokes and the gainline hits he does superbly

Scarlets game, who would you swap? No point beggin a question if your not going to suggest an alernative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

So name a player!! You make general statements against players calling for change but you never actually name VIABLE alternatives (i.e Mata Fafita at 12 instead of Griffin).
    If Buckley was getting destroyed (he wasn't), what would you have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Lads, lads ,lads will ye stop being drawn in by the the George hook of boards !

Make comment about popular player, refuse to be specific, deny you said the comment, cry about being misunderstood , leave for a day or so.

Repeat ad nauseaum !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Huge match today for Connacht. I wonder, is it on any channel in the UK? I may try BBC Wales. This game could define Connacht's season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement