Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

liger wrote: »
    I have heard that after the meetings DB had in the areas that the 140 will now serve the square, hospital and tallaght village like the 54A currently does.

Maybe i was wrong when i said these meetings were just a PR stunt.

I thought the route was supposed to send the 140 along the bypass then turn left at the stadium down kiltipper way. There's no straight-forward way to go down kiltipper way if it goes via the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

SteM wrote: »
    I thought the route was supposed to send the 140 along the bypass then turn left at the stadium down kiltipper way. There's no straight-forward way to go down kiltipper way if it goes via the square.

No the 140 will it seems follow the current 54a routing from the M50, but after serving Tallaght is planned to operate along the N81 as far as the Jobstown Inn and then back through Killinarden and then down to Kiltipper.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The "Public Consultation" events are just that..."Consultation" with nothing promised as a result of whatever consulting occurs.

It appears that similar methodology was employed at the Drumcondra/Glasnevin event in Na Fíanna GAA Club.

The Phase 2 plans are going ahead,as decided,and any alterations will be by way of "Tweaks" as we go along,which does not instill any great level of confidence in the casual observer ?

With respect how can you promise anything until after you sit down and review all the responses?

You can't expect instant decisions at a roadshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dazmetron

thomasj wrote: »
    Noting the statement on the Bray changes now refers to an updated schedule on 145 although it says it will have no impact on the timetable

According to a poster on the 84x / 184 thread in the Greystone & Charlesland forum, the drivers have rejected the new rosters although it is unclear whether it refers to all the changes due to happen from Sunday or just the 145. If true I assume Dublin Bus will update their website accordingly! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

lxflyer wrote: »
    No the 140 will it seems follow the current 54a routing from the M50, but after serving Tallaght is planned to operate along the N81 as far as the Jobstown Inn and then back through Killinarden and then down to Kiltipper.

Thanks, I couldn't tell from the route info from the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

CIE wrote: »
    Why do they call it "public consultation" when the public is not being consulted and only their opinions are being solicited, quite possibly for the purpose of formulating official excuses...?

There has only been one phase implemented so far which was last October. We all know this was not perfect, but it did improve and changes have been made. They have now held off all further phases which would indicate they are in fact listening to people and getting things sorted as best as possible before launching.

I think we should wait until the final routes are announced before assuming they are not listening to passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does the large scale withdrawal of nitelink services not count as a phase and not listening to customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

How many phases are left? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    With respect how can you promise anything until after you sit down and review all the responses?

You can't expect instant decisions at a roadshow.

With equal respectfullness,I`m not suggesting that anybody expect "instant decisions" at a Roadshow.

I am,however,questioning all this "Roadshow" business occurring at this particular stage in the Network Direct process.

I`ve said it before,but I feel it`s worth saying agin,the time for Public Consultation "Events" was during the Deloitte investigations.

This would have allowed the formulation of a credible and Customer Focused set of "Improvements" rather than the mess we currently see unfolding on a daily basis,both internally and externally.

Deloitte`s recommendations,valid as they may be,come from a somewhat different perspective than that of Dublin Bus Customers.

My take is that Deloitte really did need to embark on a mass customer consultation programme before compiling it`s report,which might have allowed it to be somewhat more focused in it`s recommendations.

There really are so many ongoing problems involving Phase 1 "Improvements" that any attempt to simply bulldoze Phase 2 through is going to compound the damage being inflicted to service credibility.

This continuing fascination with "Tweaking" underlines the less than robust nature of the Network Direct Team`s interpretation of what Deloitte recommended.

Merging routes such as the 92 and 145 was never going to be a runner in my opinion and that`s how it remains.

The daily sight of a range of irregular workings,all full, travelling between Heuston Station and Leeson St indicates to me that Heuston has a problem,which it will grimly refuse to admit to.

Having said that,it appears the "Tweaking" process has now reached the Phase 2,route 11 "Improvements" as it now appears to be headed Heuston Stationwards also.

This seems to acknowledge the futility of Docklands Railway Station as a Terminus to begin with,but then compounds that by attempting to use the 11 Route as some form of Fire-Brigade to put out the Hesuton Station flames.

This "Improvement" still refuses to acknowledge the strong and increasing negative Customer Reaction from those who now realize the company are cancelling a viable and unique Route alignment without any credible alternative being offered to them.

As it currently stands the "Public Consultation" events are only serving to fan the flames and add a great deal of heat to a thoroughly avoidable situation.

But,it`s not too late to say a corporate mea-culpa and restart the Phase 2 process from a somewhat different focus. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Does the large scale withdrawal of nitelink services not count as a phase and not listening to customers?

Nitelink is not part of Newtork Direct. There was no consultation with passengers. The routes which were axed were not carrying enough passengers, as was discussed at length in the Nitelink thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Having been at Drumcondra railway station a lot in recent nights, very often 11's heading northbound in the evenings are totally full both standing and seating, yesterday I saw two in a row like this.

With equal respectfullness,I`m not suggesting that anybody expect "instant decisions" at a Roadshow.

I am,however,questioning all this "Roadshow" business occurring at this particular stage in the Network Direct process.

I`ve said it before,but I feel it`s worth saying agin,the time for Public Consultation "Events" was during the Deloitte investigations.

This would have allowed the formulation of a credible and Customer Focused set of "Improvements" rather than the mess we currently see unfolding on a daily basis,both internally and externally.

Deloitte`s recommendations,valid as they may be,come from a somewhat different perspective than that of Dublin Bus Customers.

My take is that Deloitte really did need to embark on a mass customer consultation programme before compiling it`s report,which might have allowed it to be somewhat more focused in it`s recommendations.

There really are so many ongoing problems involving Phase 1 "Improvements" that any attempt to simply bulldoze Phase 2 through is going to compound the damage being inflicted to service credibility.

This continuing fascination with "Tweaking" underlines the less than robust nature of the Network Direct Team`s interpretation of what Deloitte recommended.

Merging routes such as the 92 and 145 was never going to be a runner in my opinion and that`s how it remains.

The daily sight of a range of irregular workings,all full, travelling between Heuston Station and Leeson St indicates to me that Heuston has a problem,which it will grimly refuse to admit to.

Having said that,it appears the "Tweaking" process has now reached the Phase 2,route 11 "Improvements" as it now appears to be headed Heuston Stationwards also.

This seems to acknowledge the futility of Docklands Railway Station as a Terminus to begin with,but then compounds that by attempting to use the 11 Route as some form of Fire-Brigade to put out the Hesuton Station flames.

This "Improvement" still refuses to acknowledge the strong and increasing negative Customer Reaction from those who now realize the company are cancelling a viable and unique Route alignment without any credible alternative being offered to them.

As it currently stands the "Public Consultation" events are only serving to fan the flames and add a great deal of heat to a thoroughly avoidable situation.

But,it`s not too late to say a corporate mea-culpa and restart the Phase 2 process from a somewhat different focus. :)

No it was not Alek.

Deloitte were tasked with assessing the situation for the Minister and providing broad recommendations using best practice. That was all. It was not their job (nor should it be) to come up with detailed proposals for every area of the network - that is the job of the bus company's management, subject to NTA approval.

DB are now implementing the report's recommendations which involved coming up with proposals as a starting point, putting them out for the public to express their opinions and then finalising their plans as a result.

This is a change process - plans can change as they go along. For goodness sakes the thing is not cast in stone.

As an example, the Finglas West plans changed post-consultation with the 40D being changed to route along Mellowes Road rather than continuing to serve Finglas South. Surely that shows that there is merit in asking the public for their views?

We've yet to see any of the other finalised post-consultation plans, so I think it is a bit difficult to pass judgement until we do?

As for phase 1 - we have discussed the problems at length here. I would suggest that they were running times being too short, capacity being underestimated and poor on-street information, rather than actual network redesign. By and large that was not the major problem.

The single biggest mistake on the N11 and N3 implementation was getting the running times wrong. Getting them fixed has taken far far too long (and based on what I'm reading here will take some time longer). That I blame on the company first and foremost as they came up with rosters that were simply unworkable, but I think blame must now be shared amongst everyone as it has taken 6 months to get an agreement on revised rosters.

The running times have been addressed on the 46a, 47, 63 and 236. It was about to be addressed on the 184 and 145 this weekend, but seemingly at the last minute the drivers have rejected the bill so the customers will have to wait even longer for a resolution.

The main Blanchardstown routes (37, 38/a, 39/a) are all having new bills drawn up to address the running time problems which are too I understand. But again I don't know if drivers have agreed to them.

The running time issue should never have happened, and for the rest of this process to have any credibility it needs not to happen again with any of the forthcoming schedules. It is simply not acceptable to the customer that people should have to suffer serious reliability problems for 4-6 months. That says to me that the internal processes for getting revised schedules are not working. Either one or both sides are being intransigent, and we as outsiders cannot tell, but at the end of the day this needs to get more streamlined, within the confines of the financial constraints that face the company going forward.

On the other two problems with phase 1, the capacity problems do however appear to have been addressed (leaving aside the reliabilty issues caused by the running time problems).

The on-street information problems were addressed by time the Lucan Road implementation came around.

There were significant errors made in phase 1 and they need to be fixed, but one would hope with the additional information now available through AVLC that running times will not be one of the problems going forward when the next round of implementation does take place.

The issues surrounding the 11 are nothing to do with running times but rather network redesign. You may well have a valid argument that there is indeed sufficient demand for it. I would suggest that it is down to the people to all put their views across on that. For any change process to happen, there has to be a starting point up for discussion. I am certainly not saying that it should or should not happen, but if sufficient people object then it may well change, despite what some managers reportedly said. We've yet to have the southside consultation for that route, so lets wait and see.

SparkyTech wrote: »
    How many phases are left? Does anyone know?

It's not that difficult to figure out - looking at a map there is still to go (broadly):

Northside:
    Swords Road (and areas off it)

Southside:
    Rathmines-Rathgar-Terenure-Templeogue-Firhouse/Knocklyon
    Harolds Cross-Terenure-Rathfarnham-Ballyboden/Ballinteer
    Rathmines-Churchtown/Ballinteer
    Ranelagh-Dundrum-Enniskerry/Ranelagh-Clonskeagh-Kilmacud-Sandyford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

There is a lot more than that, those are the ones which have not reached consultation, there are a hell of a lot more which have had consultations done months ago but no sign of implementation.

On street information still has failings however, such as the stops at Swords Road towards the airport after Omni Park which still maintain the 16 stops there when infact it turns off Swords road before Omni.

The Situation with the 145 is interesting, as every other route with running time issue has had the frequency reduced as Dublin Bus were not willing to throw any extra duties at them, however the 145 I understand will have no reduction in frequency but more duties thrown at it, this will mean no doubt they will have to make deeper cuts elsewhere to allow for this.

There is a lot more than that, those are the ones which have not reached consultation, there are a hell of a lot more which have had consultations done months ago but no sign of implementation.

On street information still has failings however, such as the stops at Swords Road towards the airport after Omni Park which still maintain the 16 stops there when infact it turns off Swords road before Omni.

The Situation with the 145 is interesting, as every other route with running time issue has had the frequency reduced as Dublin Bus were not willing to throw any extra duties at them, however the 145 I understand will have no reduction in frequency but more duties thrown at it, this will mean no doubt they will have to make deeper cuts elsewhere to allow for this.

Well I think that was what being asked - how many more areas have we yet to see the plans for.

We've yet to see finalised plans for most of the consultations that have happened, I agree.

Re the 16 - there are some journeys late on Sunday that operate from Airport to Ballinteer, and there is at least one departure from Ballinteer to the Airport on weekdays (although it's not on the timetable).

Re the 145, maybe there were compromises in terms of resources, I don't know. But one bus was planned to switch from the 84x, looking at the revised timetable on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

CIE wrote: »
    Is this your personal idea? That map looks more like the old route 58.

It is my personal idea:D. While I am aware of the former 58 route, this new 59 re-routing would provide extra services for those in Monkstown Farm to compliment the 63 routing some what. It would also act as another link to the DART and LUAS from intermediate areas such as the aforementioned Monkstown Farm, Abbey Road, Mackintosh Park and Johnstown Road as well as making the bus service from Rochestown Avenue and Churchview Road even more frequent.

Hereafter, the number 8 and 111 would be merged into the hypothetical 811 where all of the passengers from the 59 would be consolidated into this stream lined service. For this to work the 8 would need to be restored to it's old alignment to make it more (Network) direct where it would run half hourly on peak and hourly off-peak ergo, providing the people of Sandycove, Dalkey and North Killiney with a connection to the Green Line Luas. I amn't too sure what would happen to the 7D service. However, this is just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Timetable-changes-to-Blanchardstown-Routes/

Changes to Blanchardstown routes, both timetable and routing changes.

38 will operate via Blanchardstown village.
    38a will operate to the village and then to the n3 bypass.
    38b will operate the current 38a routing.

37 will operate to the shopping centre.

changes to 39/a timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I haven't seen any proposals for Merrion Road yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

I thought we were ment to see all these new bus routes last month.

Im on the Malahide Road so pretty much every bus was ment to get a new number/route etc... however I have seen no changes.

Anybody know what the story with this is or have I read the information incorrectly and they are not introducing it but just proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Having been at Drumcondra railway station a lot in recent nights, very often 11's heading northbound in the evenings are totally full both standing and seating, yesterday I saw two in a row like this.

Sandyford Guy,what you are seeing in and around Drumcondra Station is pretty much the norm for weekday afternoon services,and that situation can be for much of the afternoon/evening.

However it remains a question of your observations vs Dublin Bus`s Statistics,of which there are vast amounts,all apparently thoroughly disproving what you think you have seen.

It should be noted that in his letter to Roísín Shortall TD,Mr Ray Coyne for the Network Direct team made specific reference to the 11 Route`s lack of Financial Viability as the reason for the proposed ND emasculation of the route.

If that Financial Viability can be somehow provided by running fewer buses along an already poorly supported Kilmacud-City Centre alignment then bring it on.

I would repeat that there was a very good reason for the 11 route`s historical alignment Clonskeagh-Drumcondra-Ballymun....It was Lucrative...and that situation still pertains today,if there`s anybody willing to accept the logic of it ;)

SandyFordGuy:The Situation with the 145 is interesting, as every other route with running time issue has had the frequency reduced as Dublin Bus were not willing to throw any extra duties at them, however the 145 I understand will have no reduction in frequency but more duties thrown at it, this will mean no doubt they will have to make deeper cuts elsewhere to allow for this.

Interesting is an understatement in relation to the 145 situation.

A quite simple error of judgement was made here in attempting to merge the 92 and 145.

It`s not working,It`s unlikely to work no matter what "Tweaks" are made to it because there was never any synergy between the two types of route.

This is now being addressed in a somewhat typically ambigious fashion by the floating of a notion to route the "New Improved" 11 to Heuston Station rather than Docklands.

This,one assumes,is an attempt to regularize the Heuston Station-Leeson Street situation which the "New Improved-Improved" 145 cannot.

Fán go bFheicimid sez mise....:rolleyes:
    lxflyer:No it was not Alek.

Deloitte were tasked with assessing the situation for the Minister and providing broad recommendations using best practice. That was all. It was not their job (nor should it be) to come up with detailed proposals for every area of the network - that is the job of the bus company's management, subject to NTA approval.

DB are now implementing the report's recommendations which involved coming up with proposals as a starting point, putting them out for the public to express their opinions and then finalising their plans as a result.

This is a change process - plans can change as they go along. For goodness sakes the thing is not cast in stone.

Oh yes it was...or it shudda been !

Bearing in mind the reasoning behind the Deloitte Report`s commissioning was found to be flawed it still does not seem outrageous that a consultancy coming up with "Broad Recommendations using best practice" would at the very least investigate the Customer Requirements of the companies being reported on.

Oddly enough the "Cast in Stone" attitude was apparently in evidence at the Glasnevin/Drumcondra Roadshow as several of the attendees have independently corroborated each others accounts to me whereby they were advised that the "improvements" would be introduced as outlined but the company was open to "Tweaking" them as a means of further improving the situation.

Perhaps that is the sole purpose of "Public Consultation" but some would describe it otherwise.... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any proposals for Merrion Road yet either.

That was announced ages ago. The public consultation has passes and everything.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Merrion-Road/

it's in here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890836

EDIT: moved so pointless now, the link is mearly this thread for anyone clicking it

qerty wrote: »

Such a pity the 7 didn't bypass Blackrock as part of that, leave the 4 and 45 there, 4 being near one end of route anyway.

That stupid detours adds up to 10 mins depending on traffic and lights inbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Such a pity the 7 didn't bypass Blackrock as part of that, leave the 4 and 45 there, 4 being near one end of route anyway.

I take it you mean run bidirectionally on Frascati Road instead of on Rock Hill, Main Street and Temple Road...? With the Frascati Road bypass as old as it is, I would have thought that no buses would be going on the old circuitous route around the village of Blackrock except for the local routes bound for the bus loop adjacent to the train station.

Doesn't look like the Finglas west plans will be implemented this month I don't think....There has been no announcement at all from DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Another update from Róisín Shortall (I swear I'm not connected to her, just passing on information) who had a meeting with DB recently.
    The said they had received considerable negative feedback on the number 11
    proposal in particular during the recent public consultation event. As a
    result they agreed to look again at their proposals and see if there was
    anyway they could achieve savings on the route other than by abolishing
    it. I expect to hear from them very soon on this and will let you know as
    soon as I have further news.

So, while nothing is promised either way, it at least indicates that the Na Fianna day had an impact. Still this seems to contradict the (implied) Heuston rumour that AlekSmart seems to have heard in the garage. I know which one I'd rather see becoming reality. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

qerty wrote: »

Thanks for that. Once again I'm baffled by missing something seemingly obvious on the Dublin Bus website. It's not in their News Centre/Press Releases/Archive section unlike some of the other ND announcements.

Maybe they will - did you suggest it during the consultation phase?

I'd agree that it would be a good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Kilmacud / Goatstown / Dundrum / Ballinteer changes
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce proposals for services in the Kilmacud, Goatstown. Ballinteer, Dundrum and Clonskeagh areas as part of Network Direct. These service changes cover the following existing routes: 11, 11a, 11b, 14, 14a, 44, 44b and 48a.

Consultation for the above proposals will close Saturday 14th May 2011
    Customers should check this website for updates. For further information on service changes, please telephone 01 873 4222 08:30hrs to 18:00hrs Monday to Saturday or e-mail comments to networkdirect@dublinbus.ie.
    An open day will take place in the locality in the first week in May. Venue and date to be confirmed. Adverts will be place in local media highlighting the event.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Implementation will commence in mid 2011 for the above services which will provide the above area with more direct and simplified bus services with improved reliability and punctuality. Please click here to view a diagram on services in these areas.

More reliable journey times
    The revised services will have more customer friendly timetables with departures at even intervals throughout the day. This will help ensure that our customers benefit from consistent journey times and frequency of service.

Improved connections for customers
    • Route 14 and 14a will be amalgamated and will offer significantly improved cross city options with direct connections to Connolly Rail Station, Fairview, Donnycarney and Beaumont Hospital
    • Route 11 will operate as one service with all trips starting in Sandyford Industrial Estate (Beacon area) and serving Dublin City University (DCU) via Ranelagh and St Stephen’s Green
    • Route 44 will continue to provide a direct connection from Enniskerry and Stepaside to the City Centre
    Route Improvements
    Route 14 and 14a will be amalgamated and operate as route 14. The service will operate to Beaumont offering improved travel options for our customers. The route will operate from Dundrum Luas Station via Ballinteer Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Broadford Road, Barton Road East, Beaumont Avenue, Breamor Road, Braemor Park, Orwell Road, Highfield Road, Rathmines Road Upper, Rathmines Road Lower, Richmond Street South, Earlsfort Terrace, St. Stephen’s Green, O’Connell Bridge, Eden Quay, Connolly Rail Station, Fairview, Malahide Road, Collins Avenue, Beaumont Avenue, Beaumont Hospital and terminate opposite Artane Castle Shopping Centre (Ardlea Road/Maryfield Road).

Route 11/a/b will be amalgamated and operate as route 11. It will significantly enhance the connections to Sandyford Industrial Estate from Ballymun, Finglas, Drumcondra, City Centre, Leeson Street, Ranelagh, Clonskeagh and Goatstown with all journeys terminating in Sandyford Industrial Estate (Beacon area). The revised services will be simplified with one route number operating the same alignment at all times.

Route 11a to Mather Road North and Route 11B to Wynnsward Drive (Belfield) will no longer operate.

Route 44 will continue to operate from Enniskerry to City Centre via Dundrum. The timetables will be simplified reflecting the customer demands on the route. Departures will be redesigned so they will operate at consistent intervals at all times.

Route 44b - no changes to route 44b are proposed.

Route 48a will no longer operate.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. Route 14 will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street making it easier to plan your journey.

Service Frequencies (Estimates)
    Route Peak Off Peak
    11 15 30
    14 15 20
    44 45 60

• Advertisement

You'll be happy to hear the 11 is remaining as a cross city service. Nice to see that the consultation days do affect the plans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement