Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison - whats it like???

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

iptba wrote: »
    Thanks CDfm.

I don't know much about the law. Don't know why they have this rule or whether it might convictions for prison offences more difficult (Cawley was the person who committed the prison rape):

My mum has just come back from holidays in the US and is the families prison expert. Though I don't think I will be having that conversation with her again.

Now I don't believe for a minute that it does not happen frequently or that Irish prisoners are somehow virtuous and don't behave like inmates in other prisons worldwide.

The occupants of a prison are staff and prisoners.

So the reality is that not only does it happen but it is not reported or prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

My cousin since 19 has spent more of his life in prison then on the streets. He tries to go away sometimes just to get away from his estate. He's back in on a 3 year stretch since may of this year for robbin a telly from tesco ha but like he went in a cocaine, ecstacy, weed, speed user, since he came out he's a heroin addict. The whole family is scared he'll get stupid or desperate and share needles when he's in behind bars. Other than been a heroin addict he's got his face slashed, he's been givin some good baitins and recently he was stabbed, he could be a snitch ha but when he went in at 19 he loved it! Had a telly, playstation 2, stereo system, cushy life altogether. Some people are just hardy enough for it and others arent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Cawley agreed to speak to Gardai when asked, even though as a sentenced prisoner he was entitled to refuse.
    iptba wrote: »
    I don't know much about the law. Don't know why they have this rule or whether it might convictions for prison offences more difficult (Cawley was the person who committed the prison rape):

Perhaps the sentence is badly constructed and they're referring to the general "right to silence" that anyone has in a criminal investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

LittleBook wrote: »
    Perhaps the sentence is badly constructed and they're referring to the general "right to silence" that anyone has in a criminal investigation.

Maybe prisoners have different "rights" because they are in custody - like soldiers and forces personnel are under a different legal system ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

hinault wrote: »
    Inmates are only allowed one shower per week.

It must be a very smelly place if their only allowed one shower a week I coundnt go a day without a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Jumboman wrote: »
    It must be a very smelly place if their only allowed one shower a week I coundnt go a day without a shower.
    Certainly must be when you add in slopping out (i.e. urinating and defecating in a cell shared with others and then having to sleep in the cell overnight!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Worztron wrote: »
    These places are exempt from the smoking ban since 29-March-2004.

* Prisons
    * Police station detention areas
    * St. Patrick's Institution
    * Nursing homes
    * Hospices
    * Religious order homes
    * The Central Mental Hospital
    * Psychiatric hospitals
    * Maternity homes
    * Hotel, guesthouse and B& B bedrooms
    * Third-level educational residential facilities.

Surely it is illegal to force prison wardens and other workers to suffer from passive smoke by smoking prisoners, etc.?[/QUOTE]

It hasn't occred to you tht prison officers themselves might smoke, and due to the nature of their duties they cant just nip outside for a quick fag?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

It hasn't occred to you tht prison officers themselves might smoke, and due to the nature of their duties they cant just nip outside for a quick fag?

Has it occurred to you that not all prison officers (nor prisoners) smoke? Why should the non-smoker suffer from the addicts second hand smoke?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jamie Maguire

I Spent Four Years In The Joy For Robbery With Violence And It Was No Hotel I got Various Beatings From Other Inmates And Also From The Screws who Did Not Care A **** About you. Not having Yor freedom And Being Locked Up For 23 yours A Day Is Pure Hell. I Know I Did Wrong And I Deserved To Be Punished And I Am Paying The Price Since I Got Out. Any Other Guys In The Same Position Please Get In Touch.

I Spent Four Years In The Joy For Robbery With Violence And It Was No Hotel I got Various Beatings From Other Inmates And Also From The Screws who Did Not Care A **** About you. Not having Yor freedom And Being Locked Up For 23 yours A Day Is Pure Hell. I Know I Did Wrong And I Deserved To Be Punished And I Am Paying The Price Since I Got Out. Any Other Guys In The Same Position Please Get In Touch.

Do none of the screws stop inmates from getting beaten up ?

• Advertisement

Hi Jamie.

There are many services run by the Irish Penal Reform Trust, where you'll meet people with the sort of advice and listening experience you need as well as other former prisoners, and help with employment and training.

http://www.iprt.ie/contents/1511

Contact details are on that site for various aspects of their work and affiliated services.

Best of luck with that and with the future.:)

Jamies crime was probably miniscule compared to what the banksters have done to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Oh it's a cold hard place, they only let you eat your dinner with plastic cutlery and they offer no vegetarian alternative if thats your thing. They will provide you with a playstation for your cell, but only a PS2! Most of the beatings received in there are dealt out to the sadomasochists so no-one complains. If your bed isn't tidy in the morning by first break the guvner will make you tidy it again til you get it right. Classical music is pumped through the entire prison day and night to keep the order.

And they make you sign a non disclosure agreement when your leaving, what happens in Monutjoy stays in Mountjoy.

Hi Candie . Thanks For That Information I will Get In Touch After The Week End And Maybe They May Be they able to help. Regards Jamie.

HI Marsden, You Are So Right It Is A Cold ****ing Place And You Are Treated Like Scum And Nobody Has Any Respect for The Inmates. After 4 years I was Glad To Get Out But Since I Got Out I Have Been In A Hostel And it Is A Wee Bit Better Than Mountjoy . How Long Did You Spend In There.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Marsden wrote: »
    Oh it's a cold hard place, they only let you eat your dinner with plastic cutlery and they offer no vegetarian alternative if thats your thing. They will provide you with a playstation for your cell, but only a PS2! Most of the beatings received in there are dealt out to the sadomasochists so no-one complains. If your bed isn't tidy in the morning by first break the guvner will make you tidy it again til you get it right. Classical music is pumped through the entire prison day and night to keep the order.

And they make you sign a non disclosure agreement when your leaving, what happens in Monutjoy stays in Mountjoy.
    How much of this is true/partly true? I'm guessing Marsden is being facetious in some/most of it at least.

Advertisement