Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison - whats it like???

Options
  • 21-04-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

There have been a few threads on gender issues and prison has been raised on sentences and punishments for men being longer and prison conditions tougher.This thread is not about that but about that but about prison itself, and the before and after.

You can get jailed for traffic offences, non payment of fines, even unpaid debts, unpaid maintenance is another.Thats without going down the whole list of crimes that you can do to get imprisoned.

For some people it means their careers end. Even someone who is acquitted and has been remanded in custody awaiting trial can loose their home, job etc.

So prison -whats the skinny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Haven't been in myself, but am closely related to people on both sides of the prison line.

It seems if you are a scumbag you are likely to get "Temporary release" alot faster no matter how many times you have repeated offences.

The conditions aren't too bad apparently. It's 3 hots and a cot like, fairly cushy for alot of the scumbag types around.

A friend of a relation went in someone who part-took in weed and came out smoking heroin regularily.

Overall it seems the conditions aren't too bad. You are not likely to come across a prison officer who hates the prisoners unless they have reason to.

In short, it seems scumbags don't care because it doesn't scare them, a cushy little while.

I would hate to be a regular joe soap who got caught out doing something once. A non scumbag type. But that is speculation.

As I said close to some people who have been in, they were unfazed coming out and haven't even changed at all TBH. Some have gotten worse!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

CDfm wrote: »
    prison

Nothing to do with being a gentleman? (since ladies and men both go to prison like)
    It's 3 hots and a cot like

What in gods name are you banging on about?

edit: good ol' urban dictionary to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Khannie wrote: »
    Nothing to do with being a gentleman? (since ladies and men both go to prison like)

What in gods name are you banging on about?

edit: good ol' urban dictionary to the rescue.

Urban Dictionary should be the standard dictionary for school! :D

I think I would rather go to a Male prison than a female. (If I had a choice of course! :D)

When men are agressive they can be tamed by social norms, especially in an institutionalised enviroment.

When women are agressive I am much more wary because they tend to simply not care what other people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its a bit odd that its the ultimate deterent in our society and yet we know so little about it. At least I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Urban Dictionary should be the standard dictionary for school! :D

I think I would rather go to a Male prison than a female. (If I had a choice of course! :D)

When men are agressive they can be tamed by social norms, especially in an institutionalised enviroment.

When women are agressive I am much more wary because they tend to simply not care what other people think.

emmmmmm, what?

can you expand on that please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

The conditions aren't too bad apparently. It's 3 hots and a cot like, fairly cushy for alot of the scumbag types around.

In short, it seems scumbags don't care because it doesn't scare them, a cushy little while.
    I remeber hearing an interview with an Irish prison warden a while ago and he said that having terrible conditions in prison is no more of a deterant for would be criminals than decent conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sam34 wrote: »
    emmmmmm, what?

can you expand on that please?

womens prisons are fcuked up, have you seen that new Lady Gaga video? :D

really though, I have very little sympathy for people who are in prison, you're in there as you did something to get yourself put there, simple as. It does seem like the majority of judges are a soft touch (in Limerick especially) and a bit of "ah shur I'm from a poor home and me little ones are on the breadline, thats why i stole that guys Range Rover and burnt it out, heres a tenner for the poorbox your honour, I wont do it again, swear on me ma".

I spent most of my childhood and teenage years in one of the roughest parts of Limerick, my mothers side is from there but before it turned into a complete ****hole, I never really had any problems going there growing up, you couldnt pay me to go there now. And a lot of people in the feud going on are very familiar faces from when I was younger, on both sides. So I dont attribute where you grow up as a surefire sign you're going to wind up being a thief or murderer. It doesnt help but its wheeled out far too often as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Anyone who know that went to prison thought it was grand. Obviously if they had a choice they wouldnt go there. I know one fella who wanted to go back so he wouldnt have to see some people around the streets who didnt like him. He is always in and out of prison. Not a bother on him. Havent heard from him in a while actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What have you done? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

so then, is there an Irish equivalent of a "bubba"?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Its a bit odd that its the ultimate deterent in our society and yet we know so little about it. At least I do.

Ironically, I think the thought of prison works as the best deterrent for those who are least likely to end up there.

The people who generally do end up in there, aren't really bothered by the idea of harsher sentencing, or rather they have other forces compelling them to take the risk regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

so then, is there an Irish equivalent of a "bubba"?

bubba?

EDIT:
    I urban dictionarieded it....:eek: thats a enough of a deterent for me.

Luckily im now down with prison talk cos otherwise if i got locked up id meet the bubba guy thinking he was called that bcos he was like the sound lad from Forrest Gump...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hazys wrote: »
    bubba?

EDIT:
    I urban dictionarieded it....:eek: thats a enough of a deterent for me.

Luckily im now down with prison talk cos otherwise if i got locked up id meet the bubba guy thinking he was called that bcos he was like the sound lad from Forrest Gump...

you had to look that up...he he! maybe I watch too much american tv

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What have you done? :P

I wondered exactly the same :P
    taconnol wrote: »
    Ironically, I think the thought of prison works as the best deterrent for those who are least likely to end up there.

The people who generally do end up in there, aren't really bothered by the idea of harsher sentencing, or rather they have other forces compelling them to take the risk regardless.

I agree, I grew up across from Portlaoise Prison and worked with a chap who was involved in bombings in London in the seventies (ancient I am :P) and tbh with the right motivation prison was seen as a consequence to be considered but not a deterrent.

On a lighter note I've a cat called Bubba for a reason, he'll do anything for a pound of meat :p

:eek: Ive done nothin.

The only deterent in there so far has been Bubba.

So how much of a deterant is prison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

HI ye chief
    So you not due away for a few months yourself on acc off the micra not being taxed.... never being their myself so do'nt know.
    A few lads I do know think the free accommodation is handy... I always thought that odd myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

:eek: Ive done nothin.

The only deterent in there so far has been Bubba.

So how much of a deterant is prison ?
    Mountjoy (men's) prison is certainly plenty of a deterrent for me (that's what I've grown up with); judging by what minidazzler said, maybe I need to move to Cork before my next crime spree. ;)

HI ye chief
    So you not due away for a few months yourself on acc off the micra not being taxed.... never being their myself so do'nt know.

Hiya forcey - no I am not due away for a relaxing spa in the midlands or anything like that.

Its a real deterent for decent folk because the upheaval is massive like employment, housing etc. I saw a thread on PI once about a girl who rang her boyfriends work saying her boyfriend was ill when in fact he was serving a short sentence.

That aside - is it scary - do you have prison gangs or is it kick back, read the new catherine cookson novel or go on the internet.What kinds of courses are there. LIke OU or what. Whats the food like.

Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't say I know much about the modern ones down here, but my father was interned for a few days in the early 70s up North. In case anyone is wondering, he had nothing whatsoever to do with anything. :P For him he was beaten a couple of times a day and told to sign a confession despite no interview having taken place. He was in his windowless cell about 5x5 feet most of the day, allowed out during visiting time but wasn't allowed call anyone to get them in. Didn't ask him about food. No-one knew where he was until the 4th or 5th day when a woman visiting her son asked if he had family she could contact and it turned out she lived in the same estate as his brother. He was released the following day I think and moved down here the same day. He also refused to sign a form from a doctor saying he hadn't been mistreated. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Overall it seems the conditions aren't too bad. You are not likely to come across a prison officer who hates the prisoners unless they have reason to.

What prison are you talking about? I've had a full tour of Mountjoy - both the male and female wing. Staying in the male wing would be utter hell. First off, you're locked up most of the day (unless you're a trusted prisoner; in which case you're allowed to do chores around the prison like mopping floors, working in the kitchen, gardening etc.). The cells are tiny. Another point a lot of people don't know about - in the male wing in Mountjoy, you 'slop out' every morning. Nice and cushy, eh?

Going into the womens wing was a completely different affair. Granted it was build recently and is much more modern. They don't stay in cells on a prison wing, instead they have what resembles a small village with multiple buildings serving various purposes. They have small houses where each woman has their own room (some share iirc), but the room resembles a bedroom, not a prison cell. There's multiple jobs/activities to keep the woman occupied during the day (small salon where they can learn hairdressing or get their hair done, sewing machines, woodwork...).

The difference between both wings is really outstanding.

I know of one person who was in the male wing for a few months. He kept his head down and just tried to blend in to avoid any trouble with anyone. I was told that other inmates used to just wander into his cell and take anything he had (posters mainly), and he'd just let them to avoid an argument.

• Advertisement

A few posters - you could live with that. Food, smokes, books, radio -what more could you want.

Notorious wrote: »
    What prison are you talking about? I've had a full tour of Mountjoy - both the male and female wing. Staying in the male wing would be utter hell. First off, you're locked up most of the day (unless you're a trusted prisoner; in which case you're allowed to do chores around the prison like mopping floors, working in the kitchen, gardening etc.). The cells are tiny. Another point a lot of people don't know about - in the male wing in Mountjoy, you 'slop out' every morning. Nice any cushy, eh?

Going into the womens wing was a completely different affair. <snip>
    (A bit gross)
    I think I could probably cope with just my own slop. But sleeping in cells with other people’s slop would be tough. (Think your farts versus other people’s farts)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been reading several books recently (by the same author, granted) where male characters are sent to prison for one reason or another. One hurdle they all have to deal with early on is rape. I wonder if that is actually common in [Irish] prisons? Surely that would be the greatest deterrent of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Inside Man is a book about what it's like for a prison officer, it's a worthwhile read from a Prison officer's point of view.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Man-Philip-Bray/dp/071714481X

Wouldn't fancy prison myself, as an inmate or an officer. Lets hope they dont find out about all my misdeeds.

I don't know much about prison rape. Can't say I like thinking about it too much. Anyway, this is what it says on the masculism section on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism :
    Societal failure to address prison rape, including issues such as prevention (e.g., reducing prison crowding that requires sharing of cells), impunity for prison rapists, and even correctional staff punishing prisoners by confining them with known rapists.[8] Attention has been drawn to portrayals of male rape by women, or implied rape, as humorous.
    We have sharing of cells anyway in Ireland. Don't know about the point about being put in with known rapists in Irish prisons.

I don't think we have conjugal visits in Ireland - don't know if that would reduce it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Faith wrote: »
    I've been reading several books recently (by the same author, granted) where male characters are sent to prison for one reason or another. One hurdle they all have to deal with early on is rape. I wonder if that is actually common in [Irish] prisons? Surely that would be the greatest deterrent of all.

There is the same culture of prison rape in Irish and British that there would be in the states. Everyone acknowledges it's an endemic part of the American penal system. I've seen figures which go from 25% to 30% of inmates in maximum security prisons are victims. The yanks just don't care what happens to people in state care. Thats what it is, state care. It's not right to use rape as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

A few posters - you could live with that. Food, smokes, books, radio -what more could you want.

I think the posters are used to make your cell more 'homely'. You wouldn't believe the size of the cells, they really are tiny. The myth of the TV in each cell is true, but slightly exaggerated. Inmates get an allowance (not sure if its weekly or monthly), that they can use in the prison tuck shop. If they want a TV they pay for it out of their allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Hiya forcey - no I am not due away for a relaxing spa in the midlands or anything like that.

Its a real deterent for decent folk because the upheaval is massive like employment, housing etc. I saw a thread on PI once about a girl who rang her boyfriends work saying her boyfriend was ill when in fact he was serving a short sentence.

That aside - is it scary - do you have prison gangs or is it kick back, read the new catherine cookson novel or go on the internet.What kinds of courses are there. LIke OU or what. Whats the food like.

Just curious.

Well from what I hear off food it can be bottom off the rug stuff apart from bank holidays and such when the make an attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Boston wrote: »
    There is the same culture of prison rape in Irish and British that there would be in the states.

I think you meant to say that there isn't ?

• Advertisement

baalthor wrote: »
    I think you meant to say that there isn't ?

Does it exist?

Advertisement