Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault claims against gardaí left out of report

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Slugs wrote: »
    And don't you think it should be the publics decision to decide which...?

Not exactly.

If the report was released names and all saying, "Garda Joe Mahoney allegedly beat the living sh1t out of Mr. Scummy McScummerson"

You would be sure to have every scummer that knows of the story to make the same allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

eh, no

the public will be interested in lots of things that are actually quite personal and should remain confidential, but their interest is purely for titillation, sensationalism and downright nosiness

i'm happy for an independent body to decide what aspects of this report are genuinely in the public interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I understand your point on privacy and false allegations, but who's to be on this independent body? and what's to say that this independent body will remain independent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I understand your point on privacy and false allegations, but who's to be on this independent body? and what's to say that this independent body will remain independent...

conspiracy theories is thata way
    >

sam34 wrote: »
    conspiracy theories is thata way
    >
    *picks up tinfoil hat*

And before I go... When the molestation charges were brought to members of the gardai, was it not brought forward that they covered up these abuses. Now if they covered up church abuses, you don't think they'll cover up their own.

As well as that, for someone to think that people don't get a little roughed up from time to time in a station is along the same lines as thinking a doorman is only having a few words with the guy he's dragging outside. At the end of the day, sometimes there's a need to "rough someone up", but there's a difference between that and assault. I know it's too early make a call on this case, but just for future thoughts

*throws hat in the fire and closes door behind*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

*picks up tinfoil hat*

And before I go... When the molestation charges were brought to members of the gardai. Now if they covered up church abuses, you don't think they'll cover up their own.

As well as that, for someone to think that people don't get a little roughed up from time to time in a station is along the same lines as thinking a doorman is only having a few words with the guy he's dragging outside. At the end of the day, sometimes there's a need to "rough someone up", but there's a difference between that and assault. I know it's too early make a call on this case, but just for future thoughts

*throws hat in the fire and closes door behind*

You forgot your coat!!!

Theta wrote: »
    You forgot your coat!!!
    Whoops. Cheers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Don't care to be honest. The Gardaí were cleared, good enough for me.

Oh and OP, I'm not related to a Guard, and I don't go to Trinity, before you ask.

Advertisement