Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault claims against gardaí left out of report

Options
  • 21-04-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

A section of an inquiry into the death of Terence Wheelock has been censored from the published version of the report.

The redacted pages detail allegations of a serious assault in a garda district which had previously been the subject of a separate investigation by the Garda Complaints Board.

The four pages, which outline evidence of a violent attack on a man arrested on the same street as Terence Wheelock, have inexplicably been removed from the version made available to journalists and the public.

They were only included in the version of the report which was given to Terence Wheelock's family and the garda commissioner, a copy of which has been obtained by the Sunday Tribune.

In an official statement from the Ombudsman Commission, it says "edits" to reports may be necessary if they would prejudice a case, jeopardise a person's safety or were not in the "public interest".

The report says: "Mr X's complaint related to an alleged assault by gardaí at Sean O'Casey Avenue. Mr X stated that as a result of the assault he lost consciousness and woke up on the floor of the public office of Fitzgibbon Street Garda [station] where he was being kicked by gardaí.

"He alleged that the gardai who were assaulting him tried to open his arms to enable them to re-open a stab wound that he had suffered some weeks previously.

"He stated that when they failed to do this the gardaí turned him over and pulled down his trousers, that he kept his legs crossed and that he was struck between 10 and 15 times on the tailbone. He stated that the bottom of his back, his arms and his eyes were covered in bruises."

Documents obtained from the Garda Complaints Board from October 2005 reveal that a file on the matter was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, who directed no prosecution.

However, the report explained that a number of gardaí had been disciplined as a result of the assault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

Conspiracies forum is thst way ======>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A section of an inquiry into the death of Terence Wheelock has been censored from the published version of the report.

The redacted pages detail allegations of a serious assault in a garda district which had previously been the subject of a separate investigation by the Garda Complaints Board.

The four pages, which outline evidence of a violent attack on a man arrested on the same street as Terence Wheelock, have inexplicably been removed from the version made available to journalists and the public.

They were only included in the version of the report which was given to Terence Wheelock's family and the garda commissioner, a copy of which has been obtained by the Sunday Tribune.

In an official statement from the Ombudsman Commission, it says "edits" to reports may be necessary if they would prejudice a case, jeopardise a person's safety or were not in the "public interest".

The report says: "Mr X's complaint related to an alleged assault by gardaí at Sean O'Casey Avenue. Mr X stated that as a result of the assault he lost consciousness and woke up on the floor of the public office of Fitzgibbon Street Garda [station] where he was being kicked by gardaí.

"He alleged that the gardai who were assaulting him tried to open his arms to enable them to re-open a stab wound that he had suffered some weeks previously.

"He stated that when they failed to do this the gardaí turned him over and pulled down his trousers, that he kept his legs crossed and that he was struck between 10 and 15 times on the tailbone. He stated that the bottom of his back, his arms and his eyes were covered in bruises."

Documents obtained from the Garda Complaints Board from October 2005 reveal that a file on the matter was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions, who directed no prosecution.

However, the report explained that a number of gardaí had been disciplined as a result of the assault.

Here's what I read somewhere:
    None of the above is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

TheZohan wrote: »
    Here's what I read somewhere:
    a number of gardaí had been disciplined as a result of the assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Cool story, bro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

a number of gardaí had been disciplined as a result of the assault.

You are right. It is highlighted in bold. It is true!

• Advertisement

Insurgent wrote: »
    You are right. It is highlighted in bold. It is true!
    This was an article in the Sunday Tribune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just because its in the paper doesnt mean its true!

Decreases the chance of being true if anything,..

timmywex wrote: »

or increases the chance of a liable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

timmywex wrote: »

You must be related to a Guard or go to TCD or something. Open your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

dvpower wrote: »

Simple as, the family weren't happy with the verdict, decided to hand over documents to a newspaper. I highly doubt that the tribune were the first they went to as well, other papers simply say it for the crap it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Simple as, the family weren't happy with the verdict, decided to hand over documents to a newspaper. I highly doubt that the tribune were the first they went to as well, other papers simply say it for the crap it was.

what exactly is "crap" about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

so, there was an inquiry into terence wheelocks death

his family and teh garda commisioner received a full copy of the report

someone else (?who) went looking for the report and got a shortened version

the report they got did not contain details pertaining to another man

why should this man's history/experiences be made available for public titillation?

there's a difference between what the public are interested in and what is in teh public interests to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

sam34 wrote: »

why should this man's history/experiences be made available for public titillation?

there's a difference between what the public are interested in and what is in teh public interests to know

I don't think it's about public titillation, but establishing whether abuse of prisoners was a common practice at the station, or even occurred before. Presumably, if the family thought that Mr. X's case was relevant to Terrence Wheelock's, they're a bit miffed that no-one's heard about it.

Just a question - a lot of people are saying 'it's not true'... presumably, if the version that Wheelock's family have been given contains a chapter not in the public domain, the Tribune story is fact. Right?

Because the public has no idea how the Gardai really operate. ie. torture. I think that's in the public interest

Because the public has no idea how the Gardai really operate. ie. torture. I think that's in the public interest

Are you seriously suggesting that the gardai torture people?

We are not in Bolivia.

Are you seriously suggesting that the gardai torture people?

We are not in Bolivia.
    What would you call what happened to mr x?

geeky wrote: »
    I don't think it's about public titillation, but establishing whether abuse of prisoners was a common practice at the station, or even occurred before. Presumably, if the family thought that Mr. X's case was relevant to Terrence Wheelock's, they're a bit miffed that no-one's heard about it.

well, it was looked into at the inquiry, and considered there.

we dont know whether or not it was deemed relevant/incidental/unfounded

well, it was looked into at the inquiry, and considered there.

we dont know whether or not it was deemed relevant/incidental/unfounded
    And the gardai were diciplined for what?

What would you call what happened to mr x?

I'd call it an allegation. They may have been disciplined, but if they did what was described they would have been kicked out of the gardai, then imprisoned.

Remember, it was a 4 page doccument that the tribune cut down to 4 lines. You know none of the facts and all of the conjecture.

• Advertisement

I'd call it an allegation. They may have been disciplined, but if they did what was described they would have been kicked out of the gardai, then imprisoned.

Remember, it was a 4 page doccument that the tribune cut down to 4 lines. You know none of the facts and all of the conjecture.
    In an ideal world. Is it really that hard for you to believe that this happened? After the morris tribunal findings? This is why it should not have been censored so people like you can take the time to take your head out of the sand.

an assault

what is detailed in your op are mr x's allegations of what happened in teh course of that assault

In an ideal world. Is it really that hard for you to believe that this happened? After the morris tribunal findings? This is why it should not have been censored so people like you can take the time to take your head out of the sand.

The world is far from ideal, and yes I find this hard to believe that gardai basically tortured a guy. Tried to open a wound and generally fcuked him about.

I would bet he was non complying in this and they had to use force to restrain him.

As far as Wheelock goes, he killed himself, sure there were "systematic failures" but he made that choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It doesn't say- so any claims made would be pure speculation.

The dude was arrested in a stolen vehicle then hung himself, tragic, but he was a criminal.

an assault

what is detailed in your op are mr x's allegations of what happened in teh course of that assault
    True. But is assault not a criminal offence?

It never said it was an assault.

It never said it was an assault.
    Yo mini, do you live in a bubble?

Yo mini, do you live in a bubble?

No, in fact I know that cops do step outside the line sometimes, go just a little too far, but this sounds like Bull. My own brother got a good going off 2 cops before, a bit excessive. But it's not something that happens all that often.

It said they were disciplined, never said what for. Show me the actual report and stop relying on conjecture.

I like to have proof of wrongdoing TBH.

yes it is, i never claimed otherwise

but it is not torture

a file went to teh DPP, who decided not to prosecute, as he often does for various reasons

the gardai involved were disciplined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

sam34 wrote:

And don't you think it should be the publics decision to decide which...?

Advertisement