Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Violet - The National

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Luke8

I guess, but I'm referring to the particular New York Times page, I'm sure they didn't intentionally do it, but those songs should of been streamed through a secure encrypted flash server and not the way they're doing it which essentially allows a rip of the streamed songs as they are on the website which is fine quality I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SOTS, check out this song from the Alligator album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_YrOULNY0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Luke8 wrote: »
    It's being streamed through a flash player, but the songs aren't secure on their server, hence the xml file links into that page, so if you opened that in quicktime, you can simply download the album, a bit unprofessional I thought from a security point of view.

For example open the first song in firefox, and if you have quicktime it will allow you download it directly to your computer.

Quicktime Pro required I assume? €30 from the Apple Store - maybe not as unprofessional as you think!

No just the free player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I think the band were decent enough to stream this properly given that others had put out bad versions.
    Those who like the album will buy it.

• Advertisement

I agree totally, any true fans would buy the album, back to the music :)

I think the band were decent enough to stream this properly given that others had put out bad versions.
    Those who like the album will buy it.

It's the logical way to release a record these days it if you think about it. The artist gets to ensure that the album is heard as it was intended - and the punter doesn't have to shell out 15-20 quid in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've probably listened to the album 30-40 times at this stage. Trying to have it imprinted in my brain after the stream stops so i don't go mad between the time the album is officially released.

Runaway is possibly my favourite track now. Love Bloodbuzz Ohio too

deisedude wrote: »
    I've probably listened to the album 30-40 times at this stage. Trying to have it imprinted in my brain after the stream stops so i don't go mad between the time the album is officially released.

Taking my time listening to it. Having my fourth listen now. Agree bloodbuzz ohio a terrific song. Wow this album gets better with every listen

As the sister thread to Nationals new album posting lyrics if thats okay given the interest in this album.

http://allthewine.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1658

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

deisedude wrote: »

This is the great thing about music, because Runaway is probably my least favourite song, which isn't knocking it, its just a good song amongst an album of greats.

Little Faith being my my favourite right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Listened to Conversation 16 many, many times today. I should pace myself, The National is the one band I do not want to burn out too soon on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Listened to Conversation 16 many, many times today. I should pace myself, The National is the one band I do not want to burn out too soon on...

You can't get sick of them. I listen to them more than any other band and their albums never lose their appeal

Got this off the bands webstite. This is where they made their network debut. Song is Fake Empire off the album the Boxer. How has the band changed from that album to this. This a terrific song.

As the sister thread to Nationals new album posting lyrics if thats okay given the interest in this album.

http://allthewine.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1658

Wow, great work by the OP on that thread! Thanks for passing it on.

Wow, great work by the OP on that thread! Thanks for passing it on.
    Some dedication by OP to put up all those lyrics on thread. Assume they are for the most part correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Some dedication by OP to put up all those lyrics on thread. Assume they are for the most part correct.

Yeah, she had them up a while ago. I think she got a promo album!!

Streaming of album expired but still two tracks up on NY page including Bloodbuzz Ohio. Taken from that album I think its stronger than terrible love. For me its the song of the month hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

The only time I have ever stood in a record shop listening to a song and then immediately bought the album was with The National's Boxer.

Having said that, I did get a bit bored with it after a while....its a bit plodding. A very good album indeed, but some way behind my (far and away) favourite album of the past ten years, The Fleet Foxes, imho, and also a bit behind Bon Iver's album, which would be very similar in mood and tone.

Interested to read all this, I must get the new album if its as good as you all say it is (though those lyrics from Sorrow put me off a little, too 'teenage angst' for my liking, I have enough Smiths albums for that sort of stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I listened to the album through and while there was a few tunes that i enjoyed (well i enjoyed most of them it's hard not to) the one that really stuck out for me is Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks. Crikey it's powerful stuff. Enough to bring a grown man to tears! I should really explore the album more but i just keep getting drawn to this track - it's absolute quality!

• Advertisement

chippers wrote: »
    I listened to the album through and while there was a few tunes that i enjoyed (well i enjoyed most of them it's hard not to) the one that really stuck out for me is Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks. Crikey it's powerful stuff. Enough to bring a grown man to tears! I should really explore the album more but i just keep getting drawn to this track - it's absolute quality!
    That track is good. Get the Smiths comparison alright but I think there are so many influences on that album.
    Will be interested to read the reviews of the album but reckon it will be around the eight bracket.

That track is good. Get the Smiths comparison alright but I think there are so many influences on that album.
    Will be interested to read the reviews of the album but reckon it will be around the eight bracket.

Vanderlyle rocks - can't believe someone earlier on reckoned it was the National by numbers.

Great review here by Sputnik Music - gives it 5/5!

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=36372

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Very nice review - and very well written. Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the ass - but the name of the track is 'England' - even though the lyrics refer to 'London'.

Very nice review - and very well written. Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the ass - but the name of the track is 'England' - even though the lyrics refer to 'London'.
    Just discovered Abel by the band. Posted it up on Songs I recently discovered although I had heard the song before on Phantom. But never linked the two.
    Thats some song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Ah jeez, there's always one mistake isn't there?! Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll see if I can get it changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I don't think this link has been posted before. The album is still being streamed here.:D

I don't think this link has been posted before. The album is still being streamed here.:D
    Am on the bands email list. The reason they streamed it on the NY Times site was because there was a few badly streamed version. Happy to go with NY times site. Heard it a few times at this stage so can wait the extra week for album now which I await with great anticipation.

Btw this album now available to download off Itunes. Given stuff always sounds better on my car stereo am in two minds as to which version to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah I'm convinced.

Really loving the album.

Myself and my girlfriend have had it on repeat in the house since I picked it up yesterday. Really great stuff.

Advertisement