Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-134 Endeavour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

And here's Mark Kelly back in training with his crewmates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

clln wrote: »
    This was Endeavour passing over Kilcullen Ireland on that memorable occasion,i will never forget it!

Nice to see thanks!:)

Whilst Discovery flies her final lap of honour,Endeavour rolls over to the VAB tomorrow to be mated with her ET and SRB's. She's due to rollout to 39A on March 9th.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

lord lucan wrote: »
    Whilst Discovery flies her final lap of honour,Endeavour rolls over to the VAB tomorrow to be mated with her ET and SRB's. She's due to rollout to 39A on March 9th.

Is that not very early for a June launch?

Oops, mea culpa. Its Endeavour for April, then Atlantis for June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

STS-134 is due to go April 19th, it's STS-135 that's in June - though the payload looks like it won't be ready so it's likely to be delayed into early July I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Endeavour rolls over to the VAB for the final time ahead of STS-134
    20111793m.jpg
    20111790m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Beeker wrote: »
    20111790m.jpg[/URL]

Actually in front.

Actually in front.
    :D:D:D

Endeavour connected up to the crane awaiting lift to be mated to its external tank and booster stack.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20630.0;attach=275061;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20630.0;attach=275063;image

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

I LOVE Endeavour! I hope I get ticketssssssssss...........

• Advertisement

Endeavour lifted and stacked to the 134 stack.

bc08.jpg
    bc23.jpg

bc15.jpg
    sc43o.jpg
    sc46.jpg

sc48.jpg
    sc54v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Just got an email from Kennedy Space Centre that registration for the random draw for tickets for the STS-134 launch is now open.

ceejay wrote: »
    Just got an email from Kennedy Space Centre that registration for the random draw for tickets for the STS-134 launch is now open.

Just came on to post the same thing!

ceejay wrote: »
    Love to be going but not a chance unless my six little numbers come up:D

Anyone planning on going? Wasn't going to but then I got that mail......

I just registered! Drove like a bat out of hell from my job downtown cause my work computer won't let me register.Best of luck to all of you! Back to work now lol

I've a funny feeling NASA's servers will take a beating when the tickets for STS-134 & STS-135 go on sale. Even with the pre-registration it'd be like winning the lottery if you manage to snag a ticket. Likewise i expect the tour companies(Gator/Dolphin/Grayline)to be massively oversubscribed.

Eilejh,if i were you i'd contact a Congressman/woman for Texas and see if you can get a VIP ticket from there. They get an allocation for every launch for the VIP area at Banana Creek. Better facilities and bleachers to sit on while you wait. AFAIK you just have to apply to the office of your local Congress member. Might be worth a shot.:)

Thanks Lord. I have already made my request to Senator John Cornyn (Texas) and the request asked for STS 133 or 134. Anyway his office sent my request to NASA a few months ago and I got a letter from Sen. Cornyn's office saying I would hear from NASA directly IF I get VIP tix. Obviously didn't get them for Discovery so hope is still alive.

• Advertisement

eilejh wrote: »
    Thanks Lord. I have already made my request to Senator John Cornyn (Texas) and the request asked for STS 133 or 134. Anyway his office sent my request to NASA a few months ago and I got a letter from Sen. Cornyn's office saying I would hear from NASA directly IF I get VIP tix. Obviously didn't get them for Discovery so hope is still alive.
    Best of luck with that:) We of course will demand photos if you get there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

We of course will demand photos if you get there:)

Quite right Beeker it is compulsory and punishable by pain of death if a boards member makes it to a launch and does not post their pics!:D

eilejh wrote: »
    I just registered! Drove like a bat out of hell from my job downtown cause my work computer won't let me register.Best of luck to all of you! Back to work now lol

Hi eilejh,you being a Texan i thought you might enjoy these pics of the ground zero-9/11 flag.it has travelled almost everywere in the States being restored town by town,state by state,a little bit of restoration at each stop.
    recently it went to KSC.

.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/national911flag.html

EDIT: picture size was too big.the link above gives the full story and pictures be enlarged for downloading or printing.

Wow! That story almost made me cry.You amaze always with what you post. Thanks so much. Gonna check it out more. 911 day and the Challenger blowing up stand out in my memory more than any events ever. So proud NASA is lending a hand to the Flag project.
    And hell yeah I will share photos of Dear Endeavour if I get to go.

Endeavour stacked and due to rollout to the pad at 1:00 Thursday morning March 10 Irish time.
    20111990m.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Endeavour stacked and due to rollout to the pad at 1:00 Thursday morning March 10 Irish time.
    Here's a question......

.....tours of the KSC facility obviously cannot get to the launch pads when they are rolling out the STS stack from the VAB. Do bus tours get close once its on the pad?
    (I am heading over there on Thursday and trying to arrange a tour on the Friday,Saturday is booked out)

Edit: Thanks for that Beeker. Was thinking I should be OK. Won't know on the tour till I arrive on Thursday. Have already got myself some extra batteries in anticipation,will be gutted if I don't get there. Was there for STS-132 last May,saw it from Cocoa Beach.
    STS-132 on pad 39A:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4609087796/
    KSC from the air:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4609093380/in/photostream/
    Both pads with VAB in background:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4608478483/in/photostream/
    STS-132 launch:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4606997405/in/photostream/

Tenger wrote: »
    Here's a question......

.....tours of the KSC facility obviously cannot get to the launch pads when they are rolling out the STS stack from the VAB. Do bus tours get close once its on the pad?
    (I am heading over there on Thursday and trying to arrange a tour on the Friday,Saturday is booked out)
    During the rollout the bus will still go as far as the Pad 39 viewing area about halfway along the crawlerway. After the Shuttle is at the pad the tour buses will again go out pass the pad and you will get to see the Stack on the pad. Of course the RSS {Roating service structure could well be in place when you get there, protecting the Orbiter so you might not see Endeavour herself but you will see the tank and boosters from the bus windows.

Photos please when you get back:)

Here's a question......
    Was there for STS-132 last May,saw it from Cocoa Beach.
    STS-132 on pad 39A:
    [URL="http://"][/URL]

Great pics Tenger,thank You!
    if you were at 132s launch you might be interested in this,he was a crewmember of the flight.

NASA press release;

03.04.11 - NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman has left the agency to return to private industry. Reisman is a veteran of two spaceflight missions, including a long-duration mission on the International Space Station.

strangely they dont mention that he has joined Space-x.a private company that are well into development of the falcon 9 rocket and somewhat advanced towards a dragon capsule capable of launching Astronauts to the ISS.

they have already suceeded in being the first private company to launch and sucessfully re-enter and recover a mock dragon capsule.

as it stands they have a provisional contract with NASA to fly 12 flights to the ISS carrying only cargo,helping to replace the lack of re-supply capabilities that will be lost with Shuttle retirement.
    at the moment they are way ahead of the competition in the race to stop reliance on Soyuz to bring American crews to the station.

• Advertisement

Here's a question......

Edit: Thanks for that Beeker. Was thinking I should be OK. Won't know on the tour till I arrive on Thursday. Have already got myself some extra batteries in anticipation,will be gutted if I don't get there. Was there for STS-132 last May,saw it from Cocoa Beach.
    STS-132 on pad 39A:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4609087796/
    KSC from the air:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4609093380/in/photostream/
    Both pads with VAB in background:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4608478483/in/photostream/
    STS-132 launch:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4606997405/in/photostream/
    Nice shots there Tenger! Did you take them from a commercial flight or were you on a private flight?

Advertisement