Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcanic ash discussion here please!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

lord lucan wrote: »
    Here's a pic i took around 20.00 last night of an aircraft heading east. I'd imagine it came from Weston just down the road from where i was.

P1010587.jpg

Might be the same one I saw at around 19:15 doing pretty much whatever it liked around the usually well trafficked Howth and Ireland's Eye.

cessna-freeflying.jpg

edit: probably not (undercarriage)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tricky D wrote: »
    Might be the same one I saw at around 19:15 doing pretty much whatever it liked around the usually well trafficked Howth and Ireland's Eye.

cessna-freeflying.jpg

where are the wheels gone in that photo:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I know. Spotted it at about the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

where are the wheels gone in that photo:confused:

its a c172 rg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How long is this ash going to caush trouble anyway?

• Advertisement

jaysus never thought i would see a C172/150 doing touch & goes into Dub airport rwy 10,there going over my house at present heard them on my transceiver( i felt the urge to say to them lads enjoy it while it lasts)
    it's nice to hear the noise of a SEP rather than the usual boeing/bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

It's EI-FII of the NFC. I imagine someone were taking the opportunity to practice some ILS approaches while it was quiet. Years ago I remember doing ILS approaches into EIDW in the ill fated C150 EI-CHM during a snowstorm of all things. It's too busy for that lately, well until yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Heres the latest

vag1271417376.png

airvan wrote: »
    It's EI-FII of the NFC. I imagine someone were taking the opportunity to practice some ILS approaches while it was quiet. Years ago I remember doing ILS approaches into EIDW in the ill fated C150 EI-CHM during a snowstorm of all things. It's too busy for that lately, well until yesterday.

yep NFC all right just heard them heading back towards weston, the chances of doing that during normal ops i say is nil.
    i remember flying in to SFB(sandford international FL) we were on the down wind(doing a touch&go ) when i saw a 737 on finals laniding on the oposite pararell rwy

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lobo1

Hi guys,
    Looking for some info here and you might be able to help me understand the logistics behind all this, my wife is stuck “in transit” in Madrid at the moment and we’re waiting on news just like everyone else. So, I am curious as to what will happen once they have a green light to open airspace, how will they work it out.

Will there be additional flights laid on? will some flights be prioritised over others? will departures have precedence to arrivals? or will they try to fit all the stranded pax on the current capacity (IE the flights timetabled as it stands today) and let the backlog be soaked up over the next week as opposed to scheduling new flights?

Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

The UK Met Office graphs above show the spread of the plume, heres a link to the Norwegian govt site that charts the prdicted dispersal of it in the medium term. Looks bad for us in a couple of days......France meay be closed for days.

http://met.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicShow;ID=2873

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

Well lobo the problem is that many aircraft and I suspect crews are out of position. So there will be lots of toing and froing. It's a major headache for the ops departments. What you can be certain of is that few aircraft will transit empty. But it will probably take a couple of days to clear backlogs. Remember a lot of people were stranded at home, as it were and their journeys effectively cancelled or moved to next week or later. So there will be some capacity to spare. It just depends on the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lobo1

airvan wrote: »
    Well lobo the problem is that many aircraft and I suspect crews are out of position. So there will be lots of toing and froing. It's a major headache for the ops departments. What you can be certain of is that few aircraft will transit empty. But it will probably take a couple of days to clear backlogs. Remember a lot of people were stranded at home, as it were and their journeys effectively cancelled or moved to next week or later. So there will be some capacity to spare. It just depends on the airline.

Thanks for the response Airvan, we’re trying to hedge our chances with the airlines, the original carrier, Iberia, has now no capacity on MAD-DUB until next Wednesday at the earliest, so their plan is to route standbys to Naples, then on AerLingus to Dublin, they will try this tomorrow morning.
    Aer Lingus have no capacity until at least Sunday (and then I don’t know if that is standby).
    We also bought a ticket for Ryanair MAD-DUB tomorrow evening.

To be honest none of the options are good, Iberia will get to Naples I think, but if AerLingus NAP-DUB is cancelled, she is stranded until Tuesday. I understand Ryanair route their planes differently so they may not even turn up in Madrid tomorrow but then they have a flight out on Monday and I can always buy an AerLingus Mad-Dub for Monday too.
    And all this will depend on the cloud dispersing and airspace opening!! its a hell of a mess.... we (or I am anway) are considering sending her to New York and from there to Dublin!!! Trans Atlantic seems to be less problematic and at least she will get home this weekend... and again depends on the cloud not turning west! there are better odds on flipping a coin.

Any airline and airport staff on here, back/front office, I feel for you, its tough work.

Really goes to show how reliant we are on air transport and how badly caught out you can get when its gone...

just heard on dub north an acft coming from waterford en route to cumbernuld scotland(sorry about the spelling) at 3,000ft.
    also FR according to the last word has canx all flights in/out of the UK&Ireland till 1300hrs on monday.

this is the scanner im using at the moment
    saying that im hearing a few FR flights heaVXA-700.jpgding towards SNN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 .Moosejam

Why is Dublin closed with it being nothing but blue skies all around - is there invisible ash too.

Also just getting very fanciful but could they plug the volcano - what if they dropped a massive nuke into it could you collapse it in upon itself and plug it

.Moosejam wrote: »
    Why is Dublin closed with it being nothing but blue skies all around - is there invisible ash too.

Also just getting very fanciful but could they plug the volcano - what if they dropped a massive nuke into it could you collapse it in upon itself and plug it

if you read post 67 onwards you will know that dub airport is not closed also just because its sunny from the surface upto where you can see does not mean that ash is not floating around.

a simple way to explain it to you is to take a sand blaster to your car and look at the results afterwards that would be the nearest you would get to flying through an ash cloud ,in aviation you cannot take risks everything from security/bomb threats to flight safety is paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

.Moosejam wrote: »

Plus to add the ash cloud is not over ireland! but flights arent leaving to europe cause the ash is there!

Yeah im sure the icelandic people would love a nuke dropped on it. I know your talking "fancifully" but how do you think this would help the situation! What would you do with a forest fire? drop another nuke to make the flames go out?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Back on topic please lads.
    That means no talks of nuke the volcano.

Donkey good scanner tuned in earlier as im off work due to the ash woohoo no work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Airliner at about 30,000 ft passed over Barna at 8.15pm today heading ESE. I thought that this would into the warning area ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Discodog wrote: »
    Airliner at about 30,000 ft passed over Barna at 8.15pm today heading ESE. I thought that this would into the warning area ?.

Was probably EIN158W, A330 returning from Malaga to Dublin. Took an oceanic routing.

• Advertisement

Was probably EIN158W, A330 returning from Malaga to Dublin. Took an oceanic routing.

i can see EI using the bigger bus on euro routes when ever the restrictions lift and only on routes that can be filled.
    as long as it does not mess around with the US schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They use the A330 regularly to Malaga- it arrives Dublin early as the 104 from JFK, does the early flight to Malaga and is back in time to do the EIN109 back to JFK again.

They use the A330 regularly to Malaga- it arrives Dublin early as the 104 from JFK, does the early flight to Malaga and is back in time to do the EIN109 back to JFK again.

good idea make most of the aircraft after all an aircraft on the ground is not going make money, i can see double rotations of aircraft over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Hello all - I'm a total newbie here and I have a quick question

The flight from Malaga is refernced as EI1585 on www.flightstats.com and also on www.dublinairport.com but this flight doesn't show up as a scheduled flight on www.aerlingus.com

How come?

Also can we expect Aer Lingus to continue to use this flight path to and from Malaga over the next couple of days.

DB74 wrote: »

The flight from Malaga is refernced as EI1585 on www.flightstats.com and also on www.dublinairport.com but this flight doesn't show up as a scheduled flight on www.aerlingus.com

How come?

Also can we expect Aer Lingus to continue to use this flight path to and from Malaga over the next couple of days.

depends on the weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

DB74 wrote: »

How come?

Aer Lingus adds the numeral "1" to signify a flight delayed since the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

There's about 40 world leaders including Obama supposed to be in Warsaw on Sunday for the funeral. No chance they'll get there, unless the few from neighbouring countries go there by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Irish flight tracking and "Ash" tracking now available here http://www.ei7dar.com/aircraftlive.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

RTE.ie saying that ALL Aer Lingus flights for today are now cancelled. Thought they were trying to keep the US flights going.

Advertisement