Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcanic ash discussion here please!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Radarvirtuel

Hi all

Volcano kill my isp and provider :)
    So i start a mirror site here www.radar-virtuel.com

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hi all

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hi all

Regards
    Laurent
    LFRN
    Youre a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

FFS, so quiet here today (Howth), 1 helio, 1 prop far away. Now the neighbour has decided to use the lawnmower:mad:

19:22 edit:
    Now there's a prop 'playing' around Howth Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

lord lucan wrote: »
    Eric Moody(former BA pilot involved in an incident involving flying through an ash cloud in '82 over Indonesia) has never been in so much demand. He's been on every news bulletin i've seen today.:)

pitty his flight engineer isnt mentioned...he got those 3 rb211's going again.....capt moody had to look throught the side window to land the 747 as the main screens were opaque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I doubt there will be anything moving before Saturday at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

rte news update not looking good for intra euro flights
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/transportupdates.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

There was some 'expert' on the news just now saying it could stretch into next week... Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

This could go on for months, apparently the last time that volcano erupted it was spewing its guts up for over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

loldog wrote: »
    This could go on for months, apparently the last time that volcano erupted it was spewing its guts up for over a year.

Heres a nice bit of scaremongering for you! Nah, seriously tho, this could go on for quite some time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull#The_eruption_of_Eyjafjallaj.C3.B6kull_1821-23

The eruption of Eyjafjallajökull 1821-23

This event was a rather small eruption,[1] despite which, some damage was caused. This was especially because the ash contained a high quota of fluoride, which in high doses may have a negative influence on the bone structure of cattle, horses, sheep and humans. The eruption also caused some small and medium glacier runs and flooding at nearby rivers Markarfljót and Holtsá. The eruptive phase started on 19 and 20 December by a series of explosive eruptions continuing during the next days. The sources talk about heavy ash fall in the area around the volcano especially to the south and west. After that event the eruption continued on a more subdued level until June 1822. From the end of June till the beginning of August 1822, another series of explosive eruptions followed. The eruption columns were shot to considerable heights, with ashfall both in the far north of the country, in Eyjafjörður, and in the southwest, on the peninsula of Seltjarnarnes near Reykjavík. The period from August to December 1822 seemed quieter, but farmers attributed the death of cattle and sheep in the Eyjafjörður area to poisoning from this eruption, which modern analysis identifies as fluoride poisoning. Some small glacier runs occurred in the river Holtsá. A bigger one flooded the plains near the river Markarfljót. The sources don’t indicate the exact date. In 1823, some men went hiking up on Eyjafjallajökull to inspect the craters. They discovered a fissure vent near the summit caldera a bit to the west of Guðnasteinn. In the spring of 1823, the nearby volcano Katla under the glacier Mýrdalsjökull erupted and at the same time steam columns were seen on the summit of Eyjafjallajökull. The ash of Eyjafjallajökull’s 1821 eruptions is to be found all over the south of Iceland. It is dark grey in colour, small-grained and intermediate rock containing about 68-70% SiO2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If Katla goes there will be trouble. It's due to go soon anyway, and it always erupts alongside the one that's erupting at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

Why wouldnt EI survive ? I know they would have to pay the staff on duty but to be fair the aircraft are not burning fuel, they dont have to pay atc charges etc. as they are all on the ground (with the exception of most of the 330's). And my understanding is they also dont have to pay compo to the passengers as its out of their control.

And if it is the case, you will have heaps of airlines in trouble as none of them will be bringing in revenue either.

]And on the subject of the Volcano... Ash has been reported on the ground up in the Shetland Islands.
    The next advisory will be issued by Lon VAAC @ 0000z and there will be a clearer picture of how its going.
    VAAC advised earlier there was going to be an a/c enroute to check the density of the VA cloud and once info had been received it would be passed to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Just announced in the last half an hour that flight restrictions due to the Icelandic volcanic eruption have been lifted at Cork and Shannon by the Irish Aviation Authority

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/travel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Restrictions have now been lifted by IAA for Cork and Shannon
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/travel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

There was some 'expert' on the news just now saying it could stretch into next week... Realistically, how long could Aer Lingus survive, financially, with no sales revenue? Are their shares going to sink tomorrow if the closure is maintained?

I think ALL airline shares will sink. BOTH main airlines in Ireland have cash reserves so will 'survive'.

Am sure EI could survive at least 6 months if it came to it. They have over 600M in cash. FR have even more. Are yuo by any chance a reporter from the Indo doing 'research'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Interesting to see what FR have done to 'safe' their aircraft at DUB. Pics further down in the article.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/blogs/contrails/archive/2010/04/15/irish-airspace-shut-down-due-to-volcanic-dust.aspx

Here is the latest Volcanic Ash Report - Valid 16APR10 0000Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I saw a Cessna 150 or 170 flying over Dublin City yesterday evening heading west (presumely towards Weston). No restrictions on piston engined planes??? bring back the Connies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I don't know but it will have a very serious effect on the balance sheets of the airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Can see 2 contrails above Letterekenny now. One seems to be http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TCX7L If radarvirtuel is anything to go by.

Can't identify the other one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Interesting to see what FR have done to 'safe' their aircraft at DUB. Pics further down in the article.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/blogs/contrails/archive/2010/04/15/irish-airspace-shut-down-due-to-volcanic-dust.aspx

Aer Arann have done something similar. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

my neighbours were saying how quiet it is( i live under the flight path) saying that an EI 330 is just after going over head for short finals rwy 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Radarvirtuel is showing the layer of ash now on the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I saw a Cessna 150 or 170 flying over Dublin City yesterday evening heading west (presumely towards Weston). No restrictions on piston engined planes??? bring back the Connies!

Here's a pic i took around 20.00 last night of an aircraft heading east. I'd imagine it came from Weston just down the road from where i was.

P1010587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dyflin wrote: »

I assume thats ash rather than snow :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I assume thats ash rather than snow :eek::eek:

The more I look at the photo, the less convinced I am :confused: But reportedly that's what the conditions are like nonetheless.

Advertisement