Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcanic ash discussion here please!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

saw this on pprune very interesting never recalled anything like this before in europe.
    http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/412103-ash-clouds-threaten-air-traffic.html

I think parts WILL be closed. I have been monitoring the Volcanic Ash advisory from the London VAAC and I have a feeling that it could seriously impact aviation in Ireland, UK and Northern parts of the continent.

Here is a link to the chart.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271288580.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Apparantly all UK airspace is now closed until 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bah, flying with Aer Lingus to Berlin at 10..

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

RGB Satellite imagery picks up the plume nicely as it heads our way since 2000UTC yesterday. Select 12 and click Play

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/ASH/ICELAND/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Su Campu wrote: »
    RGB Satellite imagery picks up the plume nicely as it heads our way since 2000UTC yesterday. Select 12 and click Play

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/ASH/ICELAND/index.htm

Cool! looks like most of it will miss Ireland, I wonder will more transatlantic flights be routed further south or will they just cancel flights wholesale?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Any ideas on what the state of play will be tomorrow? Meant to be flying to Krakow tomorrow morning...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BAA says all London airports will be closed with no services from 11:30 a.m. BST (06:30 a.m. ET) due to volcanic ash from Iceland - NBC

This is getting interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I wouldn't use interesting to describe it personally. GFs family was meant to fly back to london this morning, now it looks instead like they'll be coming back here.

Damn you Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

airtraffic.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks like it will miss Ireland alright, but with UK airspace closed that will still cut off most routes getting to Europe without going the long way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Statement from the Irish Aviation Authority

The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, will start to close sections of Irish airspace from 1200 today. This will result in the shutdown of operations at Dublin Airport.

The cause of the closure relates to the ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland, which is heading towards Ireland. It is not safe for aircraft to fly into volcanic dust as it can cause engines to shut down and other electrical faultsThe volcanic ash cloud is also causing severe restriction in UK Airspace. The situation is being closely monitored and an update will be provided at noon today.

Passengers are advised to contact their airline's website.

ENDs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Statement from the Irish Aviation Authority

The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, will start to close sections of Irish airspace from 1200 today. This will result in the shutdown of operations at Dublin Airport.

The cause of the closure relates to the ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland, which is heading towards Ireland. It is not safe for aircraft to fly into volcanic dust as it can cause engines to shut down and other electrical faultsThe volcanic ash cloud is also causing severe restriction in UK Airspace. The situation is being closely monitored and an update will be provided at noon today.

Passengers are advised to contact their airline's website.

ENDs
    All Irish airports will be affected. No IFR flights will be accepted after 11:00z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'm supposed to fly from Amsterdam to Cork tomorrow morning - Am I in trouble do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The predicted spread of the dust they were showing on Beeb news earlier had it going all along the top coast of Europe by midnight tonight. But then they said something about the wind now due to change direction so no telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Cool! looks like most of it will miss Ireland, I wonder will more transatlantic flights be routed further south or will they just cancel flights wholesale?
    Looks like theyre being routed further south, looking at Radarvirtuel now and theres a stream of about 7/8 transatlantic flights going over/passed the english channel and heading west near the coast of france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Im supposed to fly to mallorca tomorrow from shannon at 6:30 do ye think the flight will take off or will i unpack my bag:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Im supposed to fly to mallorca tomorrow from shannon at 6:30 do ye think the flight will take off or will i unpack my bag:confused:
    I'm no expert, so I'd say just to keep looking at the website of your airline, or ring em. Theyll be able to tell you exact flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I agree with Jammyc. The ban maybe lifted by then but will there be any aircraft in Shannon to do the service? Aircraft will be out of position due to this and only the airline will be able to answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I a little worried about Radarvirtuel at the moment. BBC News 24 used the website at 1pm today and since I cannot access the site.

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.radarvirtuel.com Port 80

This is what I am getting. Is this due to overload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I a little worried about Radarvirtuel at the moment. BBC News 24 used the website at 1pm today and since I cannot access the site.

Forbidden

Hmmm, I just got that too.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Foggy43 wrote: »

Forbidden

site down due to overuse, im sure their admins were overjoyed to be used on the BBC site.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Its a plot by the BBC.......crash the site to ensure people go to bbc.co.uk to get updates on the air travel situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sky news did a big piece with that radar website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://www.shannonairport.com/company/mediacentre/Disruptions_to_Flights_at_Shannon_Airport.html
    The Irish Aviation Authority based on advice from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, has closed Irish airspace from 12:00 hrs today.

This will result in the shutdown of operations at Shannon Airport until at least 11:00 hrs on 16th April 2010.

A further update will be provided at 08:30 hrs tomorrow 16th April. Passengers are advised to contact their airline regarding future travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Am assuming this would be a great time to try get shots of the large numbers of Aer Lingus and Ryanair aircraft parked at Dublin.......

anyone going parked plane spotting?

This UK site has great charts of the current and predicted spread of the ash cloud:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Eric Moody(former BA pilot involved in an incident involving flying through an ash cloud in '82 over Indonesia) has never been in so much demand. He's been on every news bulletin i've seen today.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lord lucan wrote: »
    Eric Moody(former BA pilot involved in an incident involving flying through an ash cloud in '82 over Indonesia) has never been in so much demand. He's been on every news bulletin i've seen today.:)

here is part of the remake of flt ba09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNuY2qXWhI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I just read that no flights in or out of Ireland before 12 noon tomorrow at the earliest.

Advertisement