Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Guitar Youtuber Bradley Hall posted a video called 'Lux Aeterna but the solo doesn't suck'

Guitar World then references this video along with another generally criticising the solo in an interview article with Kirk about the criticism. It reads like Kirk saw the Bradley Hall video, and Kirk's response,

“I was just laughing the whole time,” he says. “I could string together like six or seven three-octave arpeggios in 16th notes, sit there every day and practice it and go, ‘Hey, look what I can do!’ but where am I gonna put it? That won’t work in any Metallica song! 

“Arpeggios? Come on! In a guitar solo, mapped out like a lot of people do, four or five chords with a different arpeggio over each one? It sounds like an exercise. I don’t want to listen to exercises and warm-ups every time I hear a song.” 

My personal opinion is that the less-musical pentatonic flurry approach works fine in faster thrashy songs like Lux, so long as it doesn't last too long. Bradley plays a lot cleaner with spectacular techniques and more sophisticated melodic ideas, but I don't get any more feeling off it than what Kirk is doing, at the end of the day.

My qualm would only be that it sounds like Kirk is over-doing this approach, but (and this is a big but) Kirk isn't necessarily doing his solos in one take. He may do a bunch of different solos and then it's basically Lars and Greg Fidelman sitting in the control room frankensteining things together. If you've seen any 'making of' footage from Death Magnetic and Hardwired, you may have Lars sitting with Kirk while Kirk is doing his bits, and may be that it's just that style which Lars really likes and so that's what we end up hearing on the record, and therefore informs what Kirk will play live.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Have given it a few listens now and the whole thing is just a bit bland. Not terrible by any stretch but won't be rushing back to listen often. Maybe hearing them live might change my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Having given it a few listens now i think my opinion is the same as many others.

Some decent, if not good songs there. The title track, Screaming Suicide, Shadows Fall, Lux Eterna, Darkness, Inamorta, Room of Mirrors - i all like to varying degrees.

But it all sounds too monotone and one paced. Over produced and structured. There is no real banger like Spit out the Bone on the last album in there.

So while i mostly like it, i’m not sure how often i’ll return to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm thinking the same. I've given it a few listens now (driving, mowing the lawn, putting down some skirting) and it just doesn't jump out at me. As mentioned, it seems a bit monotonous. At least it is new material and there is room for it to grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭klose

Solid indeed, completely different set list for the second show also.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Other than opening with Orion, there's nothing really unusual about that set. I would have hoped for a deep cut or two. I would also have been happy to not hear "Enter Sandman". I'm sure it'll be back for Saturdays concert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Totally! solid perhaps but it is pretty standard really.

The idea of the tour seemed a great opportunity for "deep cuts" but the new album scuppered that.

They used to play for a solid 2 hours now they still play for 2 hours but between tapes,more talkie time and the worthlessly long newer material it's no surprise 20 odd tracks is now 16 seemingly also unless that setlist is incorrect no encore either.

Not necessarily one for encores myself but at a big event like Metallica stadium show kinda essential I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Was rewatching Some Kind of Monster. Did anyone find it really cringey when Phil tried to contribute some lyrics e.g. "rip out your spine" and James et al quietly ignored his suggestion. I can't express it quite well enough so maybe someone else can articulate better as to why it was so cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id say it was a turning point in their relationship, he clearly stepped over a boundary there, i understand therapists should always challenge clients, but.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watched it again a while ago, Bob Rock saying they'd never have a permanent bass player again is another bit that aged badly.

I don't think he meant it that way. He meant that Cliff's death had left a permanent hole, like no matter what bass player filled that role, it would always be as a stand in for Cliff. Newsted brought a new energy but the way he was hazed for 14 years kinda suggested that. Rob has recorded on 3 albums with lots of space in between and I can't shake seeing him as being part of a business rather than a band or the band they once were.

I think when he said that, you could almost hear their minds popping off thinking "hmmm no, just because we're a metal band doesn't mean we're stereotypical angry bikers", they went with completely different and more nuanced lyrics.

I'd consider Orion, Ktulu, Until it Sleeps, Day That Never Comes, Leper Messiah & King Nothing deeper cuts, no?

Also, if i go to a Metallica gig, i want to hear Sandman, MOP, One, etc. Personally i think a perfect setlist is a mix of staples plus your deeper cuts.

Agree though about the length. Up till the last tour, they played 18 songs every night, which was grand. It now seems to be cut to 16 songs..... which just seems a bit short. Guess they are getting older maybe....

Until it Sleeps,King Nothing, Day that Never comes there isn't a hope I'd consider them deep cuts a real stretch they are literally all singles the first two I have at home on CD somewhere and imagine King Nothing is the most played song off 'Load' by some distance ditto for Dtnc.

My definition of a deep cut would be a song that isn't played very often. The songs i mentioned fit that brief for the most part i believe. According to setlist.fm, Until it Sleeps hadn't been played live in 15 years. Leper Messiah, 14 times in the last 13 years. King Nothing & TDTNC get a run out every so often but nothing major. Of course there are other songs that deserve a run out but i think it's a bit harsh to say there were no "deep cuts" last weekend.

Well I'm sorry for going with the actual definition.

But even by your definition had a gander on setlist "King Nothing" has been played over 360 odd times nearly a whole years worth overall of King Nothing on tour, c'mon!

They've well scaled back more than I thought now I look further than I thought only breaking 60 shows once since '09 on the Hardwired tour mostly aveaging 25-30 shows per year otherwise now 2 of those will have to be in the same city for now.

Maybe I'm just coming from a different era forget they're grabbing many younger fans. Black album and MOP got re up 20th tours, the MOP one even came to the RDS. Had the opportunity to see both meself.

Cool to see the likes of Until it Sleeps and Call getting a run out an all but if twas say Frayed Ends or Fixxxer or something then colour me surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The MOP one was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still, 30 different songs over two nights is impressive regardless of they're deep cuts or from the charts.

Slipknot have had the same set list by and large for 4/5 years now and only play for about an hour. Tool who I saw recently don't swithch up their sets either. Metallica are definitely on they better side of set rotations.

I agree with this. These YouTube covers annoy me because they're just trying to hawk their courses at the end of the day. More than that their "improved" versions lack the attitude of Kirk's pentatonic noodling. Here's one which actually just sounds worse even though it's stocked with techniques. https://youtu.be/za3YWrnKVgg

This is the frustrating thing with YouTube, the major guitar channels focus on technique above creativity and the audiences want that. In fact in an interview with Punk Rock MBA, Bradley Hall said he wasn't that creative, cue a circle jerk where both bragged about how they had "engineer/scientific" minds as opposed to artistic ones. I have yet to hear a YouTuber solo as melodic, meaningful and cool as that on Disposable Heroes or The Unforgiven even if they do have "boomer bends".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Boomer bends is a new one on me...

Kirk has had plenty of critics over the years. I wouldn't mind, but it's always funny to hear them speaking like they're an authority, when they have done nothing to earn that status.

True that. Boomer Bends was started by Polyphia's Tim Henson and it caught on so that anything involving guitar bends is now a "boomer bend" at least to Gen Z. In fact Justin Hawkins made an interesting point that a lot of guitarists now will do fast slides in place of bends to reach the same note. The difference is that the slide is more accurate with the pitch whereas the bend is more ambivalent, which is another way of saying the fast slide is more "technical" and precise - this reflecting the precise, overproduced musical world we're in apparently. Henson uses those slides a tonne to replicate RnB licks (ugh).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone tell me the name of the song at the beginning before The Ecstasy of Gold is played ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's a Long Way to the Top if you wanna rock n' roll by AC/DC. They've been using it for years now before TEOG starts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

...hes playing that v a lot these days, surely it be easier to rob that ken Lawrence exployer now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The Homeball

It seems 'tallica have been touching up their "official audio" - Lars is getting some jip for fluffing One at Download but it sounds grand now 🤣

I'd love to post a link but don't seem to be allowed to. It's at musicradar dot com with this path

news/did-metallica-correct-lars-ulrichs-double-bass-drumming-on-one-download-festival-performance-video

...you re a new account, so you cant post links for a while yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 28 1gealach4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 1gealach4

Cringe!

and then he started sticking Post It notes around the studio. didn't Bob call him out on it?

ZONE IT!!!!

Advertisement