Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

It's out on YouTube music

• Registered Users Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't see it on my one. Must be for those where it's after midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Fantastic album, finished Inamorata just there. Great tune, it'll take them a while to pull that one off live.

Not that it's fast but it's one long tune. Great album, love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's weird cos Lux Aeterna is greyed out on the album like it can't be played at all, but the single can be

Ha, no idea why but whole album played for me. Same for another mate.

Metallica by numbers for the most part, lyrics are decent, some catchy riffs. I'm delighted they are still dropping new tunes all the same, long may it last.

I'm playing it over now, man I love Shadows Follow and part of Room of Mirrors sounds Iron Maiden-ish.

Bit of an Alice In Chains feel from You Must Burn

Shadows and you must burn probably stood out for me as well.

Mirrors lyrics are good, het being fiercely honest. I'm on the last track now, I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'Shadow Fall' is pretty good as is 'You Must Burn' and 'Too Far Gone'

Some questanble song titles but very impressive album and a true relfection of the band ageing very well. Lets hope they make it back to Ireland sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I could only find the songs that have already been released when I searched for the album on YouTube Music? Every other song is greyed out. FFS

All on Spotify as of midnight. Happy 72 Seasons day all! :)

Room Of Mirrors is a ****in BANGER

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what was the cinema like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

It'll be easy to forget among the hype for this album that it is coming up on the 20th anniversary of St. Anger. It's definitely an album that polarises people and I myself took a long time to really start appreciating much about it, but year on year those songs sound better and better to me. It's easier to like the album as well the further you get from the events surrounding it and the general music scene of the time, which the album was unfavourably compared to, i.e. 'Metallica does Nu-Metal'. Now, I think it stands on its own merits.

What should the band do to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Well, it's coming at an awkward time, given they have this new album to promote. Maybe they'll do a few more songs off it, or something. But I do have this one idea in the spirit of Metallica doing unexpected stuff which kind of perplexes its fanbase. It's probably too late to do anything special for Saint Anger (unless they're working on it in secret), but it's not too late to turn Some Kind of Monster into a stage musical/rock opera. Some Kind of Musical, you might say. The documentary has the dramatic beats and moments that could be transformed into big musical numbers - Jason leaving, group therapy, 'delete dat', James checking into rehab, James coming out of rehab and Bob Rock being overjoyed to see him. Lars and James almost breaking up the band on camera, auditioning new bassists, and finally getting back on the road. I don't think it would be the kind of production you could tour widely, but I think you could do a limited run of dates and film it for streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭klose

These 3 live versions (minus kirks goofy vocals on frantic!!) to me show St.Anger has a lot of potential for a re-do/ rerecording as to me all 3 songs absolutely slap live and so different to their album releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

First listen.

Its ok but bar Lux Eterna I'm not hearing anything particularly memorable, Room of Mirrors is decent, got a nice solo. Would they ever get a producer who isn't afraid to tear apart there tracks, way too long.

I'll keep listening throughout the day see if it grows on me but I don't think its as strong as DM

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I think this falls into the same trap as hardwired in that every song feel like it’s never going to f’ing end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah they could've shaved 3 or 4 minutes of each song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no real structure here its like they just went into the studio and had a jam or the B side of the DM recordings. Very little energy bar Lux Eterna which is the strongest and coincidentally shortest track.

Very disappointed but my expectations were low enough.

Age is no excuse for the quality of material they can put out, Judas Priest and Slayer's last records were excellent. They can't be arsed to put the time into a real quality record which they could if they were pushed and had some cut throat producers. Left to their own devices its pretentious, unforgettable, monotonous stuff. 11 **** mins for Inamorta wtf. Why does every song have to be full of blues riffs?

The positive, James sounds great and the production quality is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Everything they're doing on Hardwired and 72 Seasons, they've essentially done before and done better, and when they were much younger men. There are only so many ways to cut together an open E with a Bb, bouncing off a G5 or an A, up to a D and then back to E, maybe with the odd F in there, before it all starts to sound stale and lacking of ideas. I would say 95 percent of the hype for the album is because it's Metallica making it.

Again, not a bad album or anything, just kind of uninspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

It sounds stock

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Bit of a waste of time tbh. Absolutely weird setup, with the lads talking about the songs (that's all on YouTube now too), and people applauding each song when they finished. Some of the videos were quite cool, but they're up on YouTube now too I think

..i was hoping folks would get a bit more for their money, it was too fcuking much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Was a different experience anyway. Can't remember which song it was but the one that just had the black and white lines I was convinced there was some sort of issue with the visuals for the first 60 seconds or so. They said at the end they'd be live streaming to cinemas later in the year, not sure I'd be in a rush for that

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yeah, the video game looking one? Was odd.

They're live streaming a show from the States so it'd be at least midnight before they started in the cinema.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I bought the CD off the member site, it's out for delivery and I've just got a (legit) mail for customs from AnPost. Could've just bought it in a music shop this morning 🙄😅

Haven't actually listened on Spotify yet

• Advertisement

Inamorata and Room Of Mirrors are my favourites so far. Bangers

Advertisement