Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I know there's be war if they didn't play the classics but do they always have to end with NEM and then ES? Mix it up for God's sake, throw Sandman out 4th in the set of something.

Think it's pretty iconic at this stage that Sandman comes last (either totally or before the encore). It's nice to have those kind of staples imo.

At the same time having it first could work too i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seek and Destroy was last for a good few years

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ruling out the songs they played on S&M 1 & 2 respectively, assuming they do a 3rd one way down the line, what songs from their back catalogue could do with a symphonic makeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Ruling out the songs they played on S&M 1 & 2 respectively, assuming they do a 3rd one way down the line, what songs from their back catalogue could do with a symphonic makeover?

Orion
    Fade to Black
    And Justice For All
    The Four Horsemen
    The Unforgiven 2 (the lads of Scream Inc. have had a stab at this with a full orchestra, and it's pretty damn good).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They should do an instrumental album.

Rework all their instrumental songs, maybe a couple of instrumental cover versions of other bands songs.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd love to hear a studio recording of Moth with Gaga, sounded savage in rehearshals

****ing epic, never heard of this guys before

https://youtu.be/U1Kn7I6aLR0

The Unforgiven 2 is such an under rated song and its a shame Metallica never played it live much. Wasn't it last played recently on the by request tour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

greenspurs wrote: »
    They should do an instrumental album.

They already did... unfortunately Lou Reed then went and did some talking over the top of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

PTH2009 wrote: »

The Unforgiven 2 is such an under rated song and its a shame Metallica never played it live much. Wasn't it last played recently on the by request tour ?

Played in Munich 15 which was one of the Metallica Mondays (personally one of my faves)

https://youtu.be/rt0DC7PFmMs

Around the half hour mark, great track. King nothing sounds great too.

Jeez !
    They are good !
    The vocals need more grunt tho, A bit too 'clean' maybe...
    But bloody good !

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Jeez !
    They are good !
    The vocals need more grunt tho, A bit too 'clean' maybe...
    But bloody good !

I've been following them a good few years now, and they are very close to the Metallica sound, in all but vocals. They've recreated the full S&M album with full orchestra etc, which is well worth checking out as well. They've done a tour on it in Eastern Europe, and have added songs that weren't in the original S&M concerts too, which is damn cool.

I'm surprised they aren't bigger - I'd definitely go see them live

Not keen at all about the orchestra , with metallica, but would love to Scream Inc .

It looks like Metal Militia have competition !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Got through listening to S&M and it's not for me. I find the whole thing boring at this stage with them. Same old same old. I have the few albums I throw on from time to time, but that's it for me... :(

I love the vocals of Scream Inc, Adds a different take to Metallica vocals

The Metallica covers album hard enough to find but there's other ways

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Seek and Destroy was last for a good few years

Yup, which is why i threw in the (either totally or before the encore) bit

The vocals of sream inc are no doubt excellent but I go straight back to the real deal after listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

'Yeah and nothing else mattersssss eh yeah'

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

S&M2 on Sky Arts right now. Channel 122.
    Just flicking around the channels and found it.

S&M2 on Sky Arts right now. Channel 122.
    Just flicking around the channels and found it.

Good spot! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Good spot! Thanks.

It’s not too shabby at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

It’s not too shabby at all :)

Some songs were missing; The Day That Never Comes, Confusion, Moth into Flame and No Leaf Clover... It was a nice taster for those that don't have the Blu-ray or DVD though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oh ffs no

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Okon wrote: »
    Some songs were missing; The Day That Never Comes, Confusion, Moth into Flame and No Leaf Clover... It was a nice taster for those that don't have the Blu-ray or DVD though

To be honest, I am not sure I'd buy the DVD after watching it, I only found it OK but Anesthesia on Cello was unbelievable.

Anyone else a bit peeved they played the "modern" version of Nothing Else Matters, instead of the more traditional one seen on the original S&M?

In this new version, drums and bass come in immediately (instead of after the first verse), and the choruses are played with guitars distorted.

I'm not a fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Spotted some time ago in Canada

r7VpSGV.jpg

Has anyone listened to any of this guy's stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/c/StateOfMercury

I fell down the rabbit hole over the weekend and watched a load of the videos. The whole premise is a 'what if song x was on album y' thing. Some of them are interesting and some just hilarious. Well worth a look if you're looking to kill a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Has anyone listened to any of this guy's stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/c/StateOfMercury

I fell down the rabbit hole over the weekend and watched a load of the videos. The whole premise is a 'what if song x was on album y' thing. Some of them are interesting and some just hilarious. Well worth a look if you're looking to kill a bit of time.

some incredible players on youtube, theyre as good, if not better than some of the pros

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

https://youtu.be/c8qrwON1-zE. 34 years gone today.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Watched my recording of S&M 2 from Sky Arts tonight. I'm not enthralled by it. I really don't like the sped up tempo Metallica play at the last few years. plus I wish Sky Arts played the whole thing through. I have the CD but haven't listened to it yet but the setlist is in a different order than on sky arts.

It doesn't hold a patch to S&M 1 but that holds a special place in my heart for various different reasons.

I would have rathered a different setlist. I'm not a fan of the hardwired album, plus they played a song from a certain album that never existed (have they not gotten booed enough every time they try to play one of those songs)

In saying that, I'm looking forward to playing the CD tomorrow. I hope they have different arrangements of the other songs from s&m1. I'll play them back to back

Advertisement