Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

feylya wrote: »
    How so?

Because when you experience something as serious as he has, it tends to be more deep routed than feeling lost without your gee-tar as a toddler would without their special blankie. He’s not so fragile of mind that singing a song without it sent him into a spiral of depression. He looked rough in the preceding months - look at his photos at the Cliffs of Moher. Far be it for me to suggest it with any credibility, but it looked to be coming, on the back of a fairly extended relapse that the other band members may or may not have known about over a long and intense touring schedule. That giant M-M stage, for example has been in use since late 2016, early 2017, that is a tough run for men of any age, never mind those in their mid 50s with a predisposition for self destruction (no pun intended). To condense his problems down to a single vocal track is odd in the extreme. I’d like to think of singing a song without his guitar was not enough to send into a spiral such a highly driven and charismatic musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Anesthesia was f***ing awesome ! In fact all of the S&M2 Blu-ray was great, but I really loved the dude bowing away on his bass for (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth... it was a brilliant tribute to Cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Okon wrote: »
    Anesthesia was f***ing awesome ! In fact all of the S&M2 Blu-ray was great, but I really loved the dude bowing away on his bass for (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth... it was a brilliant tribute to Cliff.

an amazing version, fair play to him and the lads to allow it, hes obviously a big fan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Okon wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    an amazing version, fair play to him and the lads to allow it, hes obviously a big fan

I think i read somewhere that the guy who played it is a huge Metallica fan and was blown away by S&M1, He joined the SF Symphony in the hope they'd do something with the band in the future and practised the shite out of anasthesia

I'd say he got a result :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

There's a feature on Radio Nova tonight from 10PM where they're playing the album in full, and I think there's also an interview with Rob.....? Mind you, it's probably nicked from somewhere else with their questions dubbed over the top

• Advertisement

There's a feature on Radio Nova tonight from 10PM where they're playing the album in full, and I think there's also an interview with Rob.....?

Are they allowed to play S&M2 in full on day of release?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Are they allowed to play S&M2 in full on day of release?

They must be?

They must be?

Just read it, they're playing selected tracks, be mad if they had played the album in full, people everywhere with their tapes ready :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just read it, they're playing selected tracks, be mad if they had played the album in full, people everywhere with their tapes ready :pac::pac::pac:

Ah yes, the good old days. And then the DJ would ruin it by talking at the end of the song before you could hit stop!

I had one listen to it today all the way through and enjoyed it I must say. Even 'The Day That Never Comes' sounds good!

• Advertisement

TDTNC is an awesome song. Highlight of DM for me

Nova.ie has crashed since he announced that they were giving away the violin(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Orchestra are amazing musicians, Is it a full time job or just a hobby for them ?

The music world is so massive, id say to be a backup musician for a band you would have to be super ****ing talented

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

On a first initial listen I still prefer the original S&M, the load reload songs just popped with the orchestra and the thing that should no be also, the call of ktulu works so well with the orchestra again, if have liked to seen a different instrumental to kick things off but maybe none of the others fit with the orchestra vibe.

Still though, it's a great concert I'll be listening to it plenty more.

Ah yes, the good old days. And then the DJ would ruin it by talking at the end of the song before you could hit stop!

I still have loads of tapes of the metal show, must pull them out at some stage, I'd have to setup the hi-fi for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The call of ktulu is such an amazing song

Hard to believe guys in there early 20s could write something as epic and that was just the beginning of there careers

PTH2009 wrote: »

Hard to believe guys in there early 20s could write something as epic and that was just the beginning

gifted lads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PTH2009 wrote: »

Hard to believe guys in there early 20s could write something as epic and that was just the beginning of there careers

That would be the drugs

rob316 wrote: »
    That would be the drugs

or maybe theyre just extremely talented

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just arrived home earlier and there was rob on chatting away with Dave fanning

• Advertisement

Just arrived home earlier and there was rob on chatting away with Dave fanning

might pop up here

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/podcasts/series/1031

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

When is this drive in concert our time? Curious as to what the set list will contain

Degag wrote: »
    When is this drive in concert our time? Curious as to what the set list will contain

The usual set list it seems. No surprises

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2020/harvest-moon-twin-drive-in-theatre-gibson-city-il-b85811a.html

Don't like being overly critical of them because i think sometimes people are but to me they really missed the opportunity to do something a bit different. Just a standard setlist (only 16 songs too).

Why not even throw in Blackened 2020 at least. A song created because of the pandemic delivered in a concert that wouldn't have existed but for the pandemic would be pretty apt.

Don't like being overly critical of them because i think sometimes people are but to me they really missed the opportunity to do something a bit different. Just a standard setlist (only 16 songs too).

Why not even throw in Blackened 2020 at least. A song created because of the pandemic delivered in a concert that wouldn't have existed but for the pandemic would be pretty apt.

more or less the same setlist the last 20 odd years, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    more or less the same setlist the last 20 odd years, ffs!
    Well, it was pretty much a standard WorldWired Tour set, give or take, but I wasn't expecting anything else to be honest. Some hardcore fans may have wanted some deep cuts but it was always going to be a festival-ish type of set with the standards. People in the US paid a lot of money to watch a pre-recorded 'live' concert at a drive-in so it was always going to be Metallica: It does what it says on the tin.

It's good to see them back in business though and trying different things in this mad world we now live in...

Some photos here:

https://www.metallica.com/events/2020-08-10-sonoma-california.html

James looks fit and healthy anyway which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd like to see deeper cuts myself but if I went to a live show and the likes of one, puppets, creeping death, bells and seek werent played I'd be sickned at the same time, I guess it's a hard task trying to please fans when you've such a catalogue of songs people want to hear

klose wrote: »
    I'd like to see deeper cuts myself but if I went to a live show and the likes of one, puppets, creeping death, bells and seek werent played I'd be sickned at the same time, I guess it's a hard task trying to please fans when you've such a catalogue of songs people want to hear

Absolutely, you still need the classics. Just think for the thing last night there was scope to do more. Why not play 20 songs and include 4 "deeper cuts"

Lars could hardly claim fatigue seeing as he could rest as much as he wanted between songs!!

• Advertisement

Absolutely, you still need the classics. Just think for the thing last night there was scope to do more. Why not play 20 songs and include 4 "deeper cuts"

Lars could hardly claim fatigue seeing as he could rest as much as he wanted between songs!!

I know there's be war if they didn't play the classics but do they always have to end with NEM and then ES? Mix it up for God's sake, throw Sandman out 4th in the set of something.

Advertisement