Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Lads stop going on about the fcuking casual fans. There are probably more of them than any other group of fans and it’s for that reason that Metallica are still selling out stadiums after 40 years and, arguably, that they were ever popular in the first place. If it weren’t for “casual fans”, I would have been at Slane on my own and I suspect that all the numpties who predicted a 40,000 crowd, when double that turned up, would have been proven correct. For some odd reason, I get the feeling that would have made you “hardcore” metal snobs very happy. Personally, I rathered the spectacular vista of full to the brim Slane and Twickenham - unforgettable moments.

ive no issue with casual fans..personally i love bringing friends along to see Metallica and watch them get converted...my gripe is with all the fans who just seem to stand and not join in the experience..im not talking about mosh pits just even clapping along, singing along a bit of chanting etc...this seemed to be standard form 90% of the audience 10-20 years ago but lately i've noticed gigs in general becoming tamer and tamer and audience participation isnt wha tit used to be

Well, in my area the crowd were really up for it, there was a mosh pit quite closed by. Metallica seemed well up for the gig too- perhaps because they knew Jurgen The German was seeing them for the first time. I think it was their first time to play Twickenham, maybe that was a factor. They certainly seemed more energised than when i saw them at the 02 arena in Greenwich a while back.
    The crowd in the section I was in that time were lifeless.
    It's just a pity they didn't play The Four Horsemen or Battery, but i understand they have to appeal to more than just the old timers these days, and keep themselves entertained as well.

PS:It was good to hear a couple of Thin Lizzy tunes in The Crobar afterwards!

thought hetfield was in great form..was watching him closely at times and he makes it look so effortless..he holds the whole thing together with such ease...enjoyed hearing no leaf clover and thought here comes revenge sounded great live but for the life of me i cannot understand playing frantic and lords of summer..woeful considering the classics they could have played instead...all in all a great show...would have loved to have gone for a few more beers afterwards but recovering from a heart issue so no booze for 3-6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

i cannot understand playing frantic and lords of summer..woeful considering the classics they could have played instead.

I'm not an awful fan on much of the Hardwired songs except Hardwired itself which is a fantastic opener, but there's rhyme to it being on the setlist since it's still the Hardwired tour

Frantic though as well as St Anger shouldn't be there, I can't remember the last time I didn't hear Frantic on Spotify and didn't skip once I hear Lars and his hollow echoeing bin lids for drums on that song

A swap for a proper classic like Battery or Fade to Black would surely be unanimously approved, I get them wanting to switch up the setlist for themselves and even their own sanity but there's at least 20 songs they could have before Frantic and St Anger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'm not an awful fan on much of the Hardwired songs except Hardwired itself which is a fantastic opener, but there's rhyme to it being on the setlist since it's still the Hardwired tour

Frantic though as well as St Anger shouldn't be there, I can't remember the last time I didn't hear Frantic on Spotify and didn't skip once I hear Lars and his hollow echoeing bin lids for drums on that song

A swap for a proper classic like Battery or Fade to Black would surely be unanimously approved, I get them wanting to switch up the setlist for themselves and even their own sanity but there's at least 20 songs they could have before Frantic and St Anger

I think it's to do with St. Anger being 16 years old this year tbh and the 15 year anniversary last year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think it's to do with St. Anger being 16 years old this year tbh and the 15 year anniversary last year

Hope they leave it when it's 20 years old so, they have enough of a catalogue now that a good album has some big anniversary and the likes of Load and St Anger can rest in peace

• Advertisement

Hope they leave it when it's 20 years old so, they have enough of a catalogue now that a good album has some big anniversary and the likes of Load and St Anger can rest in peace

I wonder what the St. Anger reissue boxset will be like? can't see too many shilling out for that.

There's a lot of stuff on Load I like, if they condensed Load/Reload into one album it would have been a great album I think.

I wonder what the St. Anger reissue boxset will be like? can't see too many shilling out for that.

There's a lot of stuff on Load I like, if they condensed Load/Reload into one album it would have been a great album I think.

agree on the load/re load comment..personally i like load and bar 3-4 songs think its a very good album..re-load is the opposite in that apart from the likes of fuel/memory/low mans lyric/fixxer its an awful record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Load/ReLoad as a single album would have been brilliant.

Leave the ****e like Attitude and Poor Twisted Me for b-sides to singles.

agree on the load/re load comment..personally i like load and bar 3-4 songs think its a very good album..re-load is the opposite in that apart from the likes of fuel/memory/low mans lyric/fixxer its an awful record...

Great tune, have to say I've always liked Where the Wild Things Are as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What do you think of the guitar tones on Load and Reload. I think they're too choked and warm, too much bass and mids, not enough treble to "breathe". Too much compression as well or something like that in the mixes. Preferable though to those horrible tones on DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Frantic sounds great live!

Degag wrote: »
    Frantic sounds great live!

I love how Kirk tries to shoehorn little solos into St Anger songs live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I love how Kirk tries to shoehorn little solos into St Anger songs live :D

Kind of works for Frantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm sure the million or so they got paid for the gig will keep them warm :pac::pac::pac:

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm sure the million or so they got paid for the gig will keep them warm :pac::pac::pac:

The rain on Lars' kit as he plays looks cool as fook

The rain on Lars' kit as he plays looks cool as fook

I've seen him have some kind of canopy* up when he's played on this stage earlier in the tour. Indeed it was actually up at Slane until it was taken down again 20 mins or so before they went on stage.

*Canopy may be cutting it a bit short seeing as it took about 8 people to take it off the stage!

I've seen him have some kind of canopy* up when he's played on this stage earlier in the tour. Indeed it was actually up at Slane until it was taken down again 20 mins or so before they went on stage.

*Canopy may be cutting it a bit short seeing as it took about 8 people to take it off the stage!

Yeah as a drummer myself, the rain will deaden the sound a bit but it's no real big deal, I guess the weather forecast was good for Manchester that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Never liked Reload. If you took the best of each, they could of had a classic heavy rock album there. There is about 4 songs from each I actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Beer garden umbrella maybe ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

rob316 wrote: »
    Never liked Reload. If you took the best of each, they could of had a classic heavy rock album there.

78-79 minutes I think is the max for CD so for a Load/ReLoad single CD, I'd have:

Ain't My Bitch
    2 x 4
    The House That jack Built
    Hero Of The Day
    Bleeding Me
    Wasting My Hate
    Outlaw Torn
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    The Unforgiven II
    Carpe Diem Baby
    Low Man's Lyrics
    Fixxxer

Order would be different of course. Would have like to have Mama Sad as well but something had to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

78-79 minutes I think is the max for CD so for a Load/ReLoad single CD, I'd have:

Ain't My Bitch
    2 x 4
    The House That jack Built
    Hero Of The Day
    Bleeding Me
    Wasting My Hate
    Outlaw Torn
    Fuel
    The Memory Remains
    The Unforgiven II
    Carpe Diem Baby
    Low Man's Lyrics
    Fixxxer

Order would be different of course. Would have like to have Mama Sad as well but something had to give.

I'd have Mama Said instead of Low Man's Lyric.

Not a whole lot of loving for King Nothing:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Underrated gem in my opinion.

Or Until It Sleeps

Until It Sleeps is class

Until It Sleeps is class

The same, however, cannot be said for Ronnie :D

The same, however, cannot be said for Ronnie :D

It's based on a true story

It's based on a true story

Really?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I really quite like the snare on St Anger, it's the last album in which Metallica pushed themselves. The drums sound almost sharp- crisp on Hardwired, the snare and kick are really bright.

Advertisement