Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

At Twickenham show last night, missed Bokasso altogether, caught most of Ghost. I thought it before but am certain now, they were chosen as support as there is no chance of them ever upstaging the big boys. Thought they were godawful, Manson did this schtick in the 90s and did it infinitely better, they can fcuk right off.

Anyway, main event. Good gig, they seemed very tight musically, no mistakes that I noticed, they played Harvester which was a highlight, loved the backdrop and fire show for One. First time seeing em and am glad to tick them off the list but wouldn't be in any major rush to see em again, certainly not out doors anyway.

couldn't disagree more with you on ghost..been listening to them for the mast two years and saw them at twickenham the other night and thought they were excellent..some great catchy rock songs and had the crowd moving by the end...my mate that was with me never listened to them previously and loved them

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

the crowd at twickenham was also the quietest crowds ive experienced at my 23 metallica shows..me and my mate were about 10-12 rows from the front of the golden circle and were expecting a bit of a surge forward when the band started and a few mosh pits to break out but we didnt have to budge for the whole gig...really enjoyed the show but the amount of people in our area who barely made a sound during the gig was weird..one buy stood with his hands in his pockets the whole gig and dozens had their phones out for 75% of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

the crowd at twickenham was also the quietest crowds ive experienced at my 23 metallica shows..me and my mate were about 10-12 rows from the front of the golden circle and were expecting a bit of a surge forward when the band started and a few mosh pits to break out but we didnt have to budge for the whole gig...really enjoyed the show but the amount of people in our area who barely made a sound during the gig was weird..one buy stood with his hands in his pockets the whole gig and dozens had their phones out for 75% of the show

It's depressing isn't it?

People don't like to live in the moment anymore and must view through a screen to feel engaged.

Then you got the casual fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It's depressing isn't it?

People don't like to live in the moment anymore and must view through a screen to feel engaged.

Then you got the casual fans...

Lads stop going on about the fcuking casual fans. There are probably more of them than any other group of fans and it’s for that reason that Metallica are still selling out stadiums after 40 years and, arguably, that they were ever popular in the first place. If it weren’t for “casual fans”, I would have been at Slane on my own and I suspect that all the numpties who predicted a 40,000 crowd, when double that turned up, would have been proven correct. For some odd reason, I get the feeling that would have made you “hardcore” metal snobs very happy. Personally, I rathered the spectacular vista of full to the brim Slane and Twickenham - unforgettable moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Lads stop going on about the fcuking casual fans. There are probably more of them than any other group of fans and it’s for that reason that Metallica are still selling out stadiums after 40 years and, arguably, that they were ever popular in the first place. If it weren’t for “casual fans”, I would have been at Slane on my own and I suspect that all the numpties who predicted a 40,000 crowd, when double that turned up, would have been proven correct. For some odd reason, I get the feeling that would have made you “hardcore” metal snobs very happy. Personally, I rathered the spectacular vista of full to the brim Slane and Twickenham - unforgettable moments.

Metal snobs are the worst.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »

And over a hundred quid to stand up a hill in nearly another county to watch it as a result!

The causal fans kill the atmosphere at gigs and other events; not just concerts, I can't understand how some here can't appreciate that side of the debate.

But hey I'm a snob and trve kvlt so what do I know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If it wasn't for the casual fans we wouldn't have had Metallica at Slane, no question.

They only play for big pay days now and if only the Metallica fans in Ireland went they'd be lucky to get 25k imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

scudzilla wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the casual fans we wouldn't have had Metallica at Slane, no question.

They only play for big pay days now and if only the Metallica fans in Ireland went they'd be lucky to get 25k imo

Wonder where any future gigs could be

If it has to be outdoor venues then its just Marley Park, Malahide Castle and the RDS isnt it

Don’t know about the Aviva but Croker is supposed to be awful for audio at gigs

If it has to be outdoor venues then its just Marley Park, Malahide Castle and the RDS isnt it

I'd love to see them at the 3 arena, have never seen them indoors myself.

I know the current stage set up is too big for it, but perhaps the next tour cycle?

I just hope I meet the criteria to be allowed go.

• Advertisement

Let it go lad.

Yeah, we've probably reached the end of the road on this one (from both sides)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Lars mentioned a possible Garage Inc 2 recently, what could they cover to put on the album, if it happens that is.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Lars mentioned a possible Garage Inc 2 recently, what could they cover to put on the album, if it happens that is.

I think we've had enough Diamond Head at this stage anyway. I'd like to hear another Maiden track.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I'd like to see some more Thin Lizzy maybe something from Jailbreak or Black Rose?

They'll probably throw in the all the covers they've released since the last Garage Inc. anyway (Ramones x 6, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Ecstasy of Gold, Ronnie Rising - am I missing any?)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think we've had enough Diamond Head at this stage anyway. I'd like to hear another Maiden track.

Agreed about Diamond Head.
    I'd like to see some more Thin Lizzy maybe something from Jailbreak or Black Rose?

I'd like to see them try Sugar Blues or Having A Good Time off the Chinatown album.

So long as the production stays the same as the $5.98 (first release with Jason), that was awesome and imo far better production/sound than a few of their albums, and it was recorded in a week or so in a fcukin garage

Fave track is 'The Wait'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And over a hundred quid to stand up a hill in nearly another county to watch it as a result!

The causal fans kill the atmosphere at gigs and other events; not just concerts, I can't understand how some here can't appreciate that side of the debate.

But hey I'm a snob and trve kvlt so what do I know :rolleyes:

There should be an exam to pass before entry to a metal gig

I'll forward you the notes for the exam. I believe hugh tanner is coming up on next tours exam.

• Advertisement

So long as the production stays the same as the $5.98 (first release with Jason), that was awesome and imo far better production/sound than a few of their albums, and it was recorded in a week or so in a fcukin garage

Fave track is 'The Wait'

I was listening to that recently...cranked...and sounds even heavier then it did then. Interestingly Killing joke version of the wait is possibly my favourite song ever. ..but it was because of how great the garage days version was that I discovered it

1. Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm actually just in from malahide and it's an amazing venue...also if it sells out you can walk as far as the entry point and chill with your drinks and listen to the gig perfectly....

I brought the missus to lana del rey tonight altogether different to slane but enjoyable all the same...basically trying to get a glimpse of her snatch all night...and she two backing singers that essentially just be sexy all night

I was listening to that recently...cranked...and sounds even heavier then it did then. Interestingly Killing joke version of the wait is possibly my favourite song ever. ..but it was because of how great the garage days version was that I discovered it

i really really REALLY have to look at a decent turntable, moved gaff recently and was looking through my vinyl. Have 2 copies of the $5.98 ep, the UK Version (4 tracks) and the U.S Version (5 track incl The Wait). They had the special 4 track one so it would be eligible for the UK charts, have the U.S one signed by Lars and Kirk

1. Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm actually just in from malahide and it's an amazing venue...also if it sells out you can walk as far as the entry point and chill with your drinks and listen to the gig perfectly....

I brought the missus to lana del rey tonight altogether different to slane but enjoyable all the same...basically trying to get a glimpse of her snatch all night...and she two backing singers that essentially just be sexy all night

Ah Jaysus, Miss Del Rey, something about her that gets scud all hot and bothered, would give her the best 5 seconds of her life

i really really REALLY have to look at a decent turntable, moved gaff recently and was looking through my vinyl. Have 2 copies of the $5.98 ep, the UK Version (4 tracks) and the U.S Version (5 track incl The Wait). They had the special 4 track one so it would be eligible for the UK charts, have the U.S one signed by Lars and Kirk
            Nice...I got a turntable for my birthday but I'm now taking my time getting3tge right amp and speakers....then I will unleash the fury

Nice...I got a turntable for my birthday but I'm now taking my time getting3tge right amp and speakers....then I will unleash the fury

now there's where i will fcuk up, i'd get a turntable and speakers and wonder why it won't work, why does it need an amp? do turntables come with built in amps??

Ah Jaysus, Miss Del Rey, something about her that gets scud all hot and bothered, would give her the best 5 seconds of her life
            I was in awe at her beauty...interestingly it was predominantly a gay affair but I noticed they have a similar hierarchy and elitism as the metal crowd:)

I'll forward you the notes for the exam. I believe hugh tanner is coming up on next tours exam.

Sad really.

It's like a playground here with some, grown men Christ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the crowd at twickenham was also the quietest crowds ive experienced at my 23 metallica shows..me and my mate were about 10-12 rows from the front of the golden circle and were expecting a bit of a surge forward when the band started and a few mosh pits to break out but we didnt have to budge for the whole gig...

Well, in my area the crowd were really up for it, there was a mosh pit quite close by. Metallica seemed well up for the gig too- perhaps because they knew Jurgen The German was seeing them for the first time. I think it was their first time to play Twickenham, maybe that was a factor. They certainly seemed more energised than when i saw them at the 02 arena in Greenwich a while back.
            The crowd in the section I was in that time were lifeless.
            It's just a pity they didn't play The Four Horsemen or Battery, but i understand they have to appeal to more than just the old timers these days, and keep themselves entertained as well.

PS:It was good to hear a couple of Thin Lizzy tunes in The Crobar afterwards!

• Advertisement
          • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

scudzilla wrote:
            now there's where i will fcuk up, i'd get a turntable and speakers and wonder why it won't work, why does it need an amp? do turntables come with built in amps??

Some turntables do, but they'd be beyond ****. Separate systems tend to have a far superior sound, can be pricy though, know a chap that installed one for another chap years ago, think it cost about 7k, said it blew anything he had heard at that stage away, and he use to sell and install entertainment systems.

Advertisement