Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think legally or otherwise, there was no intent from O'Leary, and the more I look at it, the more spectacular I think it is that a scrum-half stopped a loosehead from that range. Say what you want about O'Leary's distribution or box-kicking, but he's one of the best defensive scrum-halves I've seen. Superb in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think legally or otherwise, there was no intent from O'Leary, and the more I look at it, the more spectacular I think it is that a scrum-half stopped a loosehead from that range. Say what you want about O'Leary's distribution or box-kicking, but he's one of the best defensive scrum-halves I've seen. Superb in that department.

When did Horgan become a Loosehead? Is this to allow a back three of Rob/Isa/Luke next year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Jedwardian wrote: »
    CJ van der Linde has re-signed with the Cheetahs after a two-year stint with Irish club Leinster.

The World Cup-winning tighthead’s return was partly facilitated by financial assistance from SA Rugby, who have offered him a contract through to the 2011 World Cup.

Van der Linde, capped 58 times for the Springboks, will add depth in a position where it is desperately needed. The imminent return of BJ Botha from Ulster will further improve that situation.

More to follow…

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/05/24/cj-boosts-sas-prop-depth/

Undecided how I feel about this. It is a potential plus for Ireland, and I don't know if I'm convinced he as worth the money spent on him in wages. It does weaken the side though, which is obviously a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Undecided how I feel about this. It is a potential plus for Ireland, and I don't know if I'm convinced he as worth the money spent on him in wages. It does weaken the side though, which is obviously a bad thing.

Can only imagine Schmidt will be told that he has to give Ross game time.

Can that happen? I know that the IRFU and PAG (I think that's the right accronym) can dicate signings, but I'd be amazed if they can influence selection policy of the Irish provinces.

• Advertisement

shawpower wrote: »
    Can that happen? I know that the IRFU and PAG (I think that's the right accronym) can dicate signings, but I'd be amazed if they can influence selection policy of the Irish provinces.

If they can dictate signings they are tacitly influencing selection policy. No props = no choice :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

With Munster signing du preez I doubt they will be forcing selection of props.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Leinster Season tickets selling fast - well ahead of last year. I wonder how many they can sell. They are already at the mark they were at at the end of July last year:

According to Leinsterrugby.ie:

"sales have now passed the 10,500 mark for the 2010/11 season...'Early Bird' deadline fast approaching..."

from http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/14690/ on 27th July 2009:

Season ticket sales are a good measure of that growth: in 2004, the club had just 500 season ticket holders, a figure that grew to 3,700 in 2007 and to 9,500 in 2008. “This summer so far we’re on 10,500 and I think we’re definitely going to hit 11,000 anyway,” says Keira Kennedy (MMII), commercial and marketing manager, Leinster Rugby. “If we hit the 11,000 this year, we’ll be thrilled, especially considering the economic climate.”

If they can dictate signings they are tacitly influencing selection policy. No props = no choice :)

There's a difference between that and telling Schmidt that he has to play Ross ahead of Stan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/0525/vanderlinde.html

Van Der Linde and Keane to leave at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I see Cullen is still out for the Magner's game on Saturday.

Thats 3 weeks since he hurt his shoulder.
    Anyone hear what the injury is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to say I am glad to see the back of CJ, the only game he has looked actually looked up to and motivated for was the HC quarter final. Other then that this year he was just looked uninterested while on the pitch.

I have to say I am glad to see the back of CJ, the only game he has looked actually looked up to and motivated for was the HC quarter final. Other then that this year he was just looked uninterested while on the pitch.

I don't think he's been as bad as he's been made out to be on this forum. He had a great break there against Munster that lead up to Healy's near try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

durkadurka wrote: »
    I don't think he's been as bad as he's been made out to be on this forum. He had a great break there against Munster that lead up to Healy's near try.

Thats true. But that was a big game. What annoyed me about him was that he could never motivate himself for the ML games in the middle of the season. We need our NIQ players to really step up during the season when we can't play our Irish internationals all the time. He just never did that. the fact he is an excellent player just makes this failure worse to me. Compared with Isa, who generally put in MOM performances in all of those games. Rocky was the same last year, consistently big performances when everyone else was away. Granted Rocky was a freak though. I think Isa is a fairer comparison because arguably CJV is a better player than Isa.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Thats true. But that was a big game. What annoyed me about him was that he could never motivate himself for the ML games in the middle of the season. We need our NIQ players to really step up during the season when we can't play our Irish internationals all the time. He just never did that. the fact he is an excellent player just makes this failure worse to me. Compared with Isa, who generally put in MOM performances in all of those games. Rocky was the same last year, consistently big performances when everyone else was away. Granted Rocky was a freak though. I think Isa is a fairer comparison because arguably CJV is a better player than Isa.

Fair point, I always felt Isa and to a lesser extent Shaggy really beefed up the backline in terms of class, when the big guns weren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

crisco10 wrote: »
    Compared with Isa, who generally put in MOM performances in all of those games. Rocky was the same last year, consistently big performances when everyone else was away. Granted Rocky was a freak though. I think Isa is a fairer comparison because arguably CJV is a better player than Isa.

Actually for this reason Isa would of been my player of the season. Put in a lot of big performances in during the unglamorous mid season games even though he has played multiple positions this year he has been a massive influence on the team

Leinster squad to face the Ospreys...

FORWARDS: John Fogarty, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Nathan Hines, Trevor Hogan, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Malcolm O'Kelly, Mike Ross, Richardt Strauss, CJ van der Linde, Stan Wright

BACKS: Shaun Berne, Gordon D'Arcy, Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Brian O'Driscoll, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton

My Team:
    1. Healy
    2. Fogarty
    3. Wright
    4. Hines
    5. O'Kelly
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. D'Arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Horgan
    15. Kearney

16. CJ VDL 17. Strauss 18. Hogan 19. O'Brien 20. O'Donohoe 21. McFadden 22. Dempsey

Dempsey to come on for the last 20 minutes for Kearney. Decent bench, but the likes of Toner & Cullen missing. Hope O'Brien is fit. If not 100%, don't put him anywhere near the 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

SOB involved in the squad I see, wonder what's the point this time unless he's actually fit. Would be great to see him on the bench.

The starting XV is clearly going to be the side that started against Munster anyway. I watched that game again recently and it's very disappointing we didn't get more points on the board, we really gave them a pounding especially in the 2nd half imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

danthefan wrote: »
    SOB involved in the squad I see, wonder what's the point this time unless he's actually fit. Would be great to see him on the bench.

It would be, though considering it's the last game and he's not touring I'd be as happy to see Keogh rewarded for his good form with the bench spot.

[quote=[Jackass]]16. CJ VDL 17. Strauss 18. Hogan 19. O'Brien 20. O'Donohoe 21. McFadden 22. Dempsey[/quote]

I imagine McFadden will be the one to be dropped rather than Berne unfortunately.

I'd say you're right. But would be nice to see McFadden in and hope that if Johnny takes a knock, Nacewa is in good shape to go 10. Or maybe that's just too risky.

• Advertisement

Good article in the indo today on Joe Schmidt.
    sounds like an interesting studious guy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/magners-league/incoming-leinster-boss-joe-schmidt-targets-scrum-2196165.html

Incoming Leinster boss Joe Schmidt targets scrum

By Peter Bills
    Thursday May 27 2010
    Irish teams at provincial and international level cannot handle the power of the French in set-piece play, Leinster's new coach has warned.
    New Zealander Joe Schmidt believes that tackling that issue represents the single greatest challenge to Irish rugby. Nor is it just Ireland who are deficient in this phase of play, he argues. Teams from England, Wales and Scotland are in a similar situation, according to the Clermont Auvergne backs coach, who will replace Michael Cheika in the Leinster hot seat next month.
    Schmidt spoke about the differences in the game in France ahead of this Saturday's French Championship decider against Perpignan - a final which his Clermont side reached for the fourth consecutive time thanks to a thrilling 35-29 semi-final win over Toulon after extra-time.
    What he said underlined the important lessons to be learned from a New Year that has ultimately been a failure for Irish rugby, especially after the extraordinary deeds of 2009.
    Do the players of Ireland, England and the other home nations possess the ball skills and technique of the French, it was asked of Schmidt, whose team have immense forward power and technique allied to creative abilities?
    "In the Six Nations, France did it across the board and yes, they did show some real ball skills. They played really well but I thought where they really dominated was in the set-pieces, particularly at the scrums," he says.
    Superb
    "Leinster couldn't access the game in Toulouse; Munster couldn't access the game against Biarritz. They both got shut out by the superb set-pieces of the French which some of the teams over here have. That is something to think about for the Irish, plus the English and other British teams.
    "They are incredibly competitive across the field. But to get the quality of ball and to protect their own ball, that is a big challenge for them. Power and technique up front are crucial.
    "Our loose head prop at Clermont, Thomas Domingo, was the French Grand Slam prop and at 108 kgs he is not a big man by any stretch of the imagination. But he is built to prop: he is a very comfortable little cube of a man.
    "It is something I will look at closely when I get to Dublin. I don't profess to be an expert about what is happening up front but I have a lot of faith in (forwards coach) Jono Gibbes, who I think has done a really good job. He is one of the reasons why Leinster have done well in the last two years."
    From that, we can deduce that the affable Schmidt won't be swinging the axe at the coaches from the Cheika era who wished to stay.
    Indeed, he deeply regrets the fact that defence coach Kurt McQuilkin has chosen to depart.
    "I am really looking forward to working with Jono," he says. "But I am disappointed to see Kurt go because I think the superb quality of their defence has been a real hallmark for them. I certainly tried to twist Kurt's arm to stay. But I couldn't keep him, I'm afraid."
    It is extraordinary that Schmidt has had any time even to think about Leinster and the challenge confronting him next season.
    He has helped fellow Kiwi and chief coach Vern Cotter guide Clermont to another final, yet has also been burning the midnight oil in putting together Leinster's pre-season training programme. Oh, and in his spare time (presumably between the hours of midnight and 6.0) he's been working to complete the French coaching diploma which has occupied at least part of his attention in the last three years.
    "It is a busy time coming up, there is a lot to do," he smiled. "I have battled with the diploma a little bit. I spoke no French when I arrived here three years ago. It's a little high-level but I expect to finish that off next week."
    Then will come probably the greatest challenge of Schmidt's career: trying to help Clermont become French Champions for the first time -- in their 11th final.
    Leinster folk will discern some clues as to their new coach's philosophy by his attention to detail and thoughts on the mental preparation required to end years of heartache for the club from the mountainous region of central France.
    "We are already the first French team ever to put together four successive French finals. It would be so nice to get a win after disappointment in the last three years. We have had some bad luck in some of our play-off games.
    "Against Leinster (in the Heineken Cup quarter-final in April), we left 26 points on the field with some poor kicking. So maybe our tight win in this semi-final over Toulon meant the gods were starting to turn our way for a change. We must try to isolate not just the 80 minutes of the final but perhaps just isolate one minute," he says. "If we play one minute in front of our face and the same the next minute, then it's not like a final. It is always just that one minute that matters. We can't afford to start speculating and looking further ahead than that."
    But whatever the outcome of the French final, Schmidt knows he faces a completely fresh challenge when he gets to Dublin in six weeks' time. And he reckons Leinster's win over Munster at the weekend will make his task even tougher.
    "That meant Leinster had beaten them four times in a row and from my point of view, it's not the easiest thing to go in and then take over from that because there will be a lot of expectation. There will also be a lot of revenge thoughts from Munster, too," he says.
    "I'm pretty good mates with Jason Holland down at Munster -- he's from the same region (of New Zealand) as me. I've kept an eye on the Leinster situation since I knew I was going there but before our Heineken Cup game against them, I kept my distance, which Michael Cheika was pretty keen to happen. Now, it is a bit more open and I have talked to a couple of the players, plus Jono and a couple of their physical trainers.
    "We are just trying to start putting together the pre-season programme. Sure, I am not sleeping a lot at the moment! But it's a lot of fun."
    Schmidt wants to have a full debrief from Cheika before he takes over properly. But he has already ruled out major changes behind the scenes -- an evolution, not revolution sort of approach.
    Retain
    "Michael has done a good job so you don't go in and try to change all that. You want to make sure you retain what has worked well and then maybe bring some freshness to it," he says.
    "Some of the players I have spoken to are looking for some freshness but at the same time, we want to keep the best of the good and probably challenge ourselves to do even better."
    The Schmidt rugby philosophy in a nutshell? "To send players out, to go and look, to find the way. Really, you have got to play. It's better to die on your feet than die on your knees. We are going to have a crack; we won't die wondering," he says.
    Between now and then, Schmidt and his Clermont men could experience potentially the greatest party in French rugby history -- if they can beat the holders Perpignan to win the coveted 'Bouclier de Brennus'. "I sure as hell hope it is going to be one almighty end to the season," he smiles.
    After that, he'll fly home and fit in a short holiday with his family. Then he'll fly to Dublin to oversee the Leinster pre-season training programme.
    "There is not a lot of space for the recovery and recuperation you need in the world of rugby," he says.
    But Joe Schmidt isn't complaining. These are the salad days of his rugby life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Leinster debt shock
    By Hugh Farrelly
    Thursday May 27 2010

DESPITE a bumper 2009 when they landed their first Heineken Cup title, Leinster Rugby are set to announce a considerable financial deficit at their Annual General Meeting this evening.

The costs accrued through player, coach and academy investment, allied to the significant financial burden of redeveloping Donnybrook Stadium (estimated at €8m) and the province's rented use of the RDS for home games, are believed to have produced a loss of several hundred thousand euro.

After the successes of 2009, such a significant financial loss will raise concern among Leinster supporters given the money available to their overseas rivals, particularly in France.

Donnybrook has proven to be a costly white elephant given the delayed planning permission and the fact that Leinster have outgrown their former home (now used for club, schools and various representative fixtures) and are paying considerable rents for the use of the 18,500 RDS ground.

The province's financial situation also emphasises the strong opposition from Leinster and the other Irish provinces to Minister Eamon Ryan's proposals to produce free-to-air Heineken Cup coverage, which would deny Irish rugby an estimated €12m annual income from Sky.

However, supporters of Ryan's proposals will point to the fact that the Irish rugby model, which was defended stoutly last week, still saw a province produce a financial loss the year they landed the Heineken Cup.

Although Leinster declined to comment on specific figures ahead of tonight's AGM, a spokesperson said their financial position is in keeping with projections and said the branch are confident this deficit will be steadily reduced over the next few seasons.

"We are in a strong financial position. The fact that we have secured our sponsors for the coming season(s) and our season-ticket sales have already surpassed the 11,000 we sold last season means we are confident of being on a comfortable financial and commercial footing in a difficult economic climate."

Although Leinster were defeated at the semi-final stage of the Heineken Cup last month, their run to this Saturday's Magners League final has produced revenue from sell-out crowds for the home semi-final against Munster and this weekend's Grand Final against Ospreys -- a combined attendance of over 38,000. The availability of the 50,000-capacity Lansdowne Road stadium for bigger games from next season would also be seen as a means of increasing revenue.
    - Hugh Farrelly
    Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/magners-league/leinster-debt-shock-2196169.html

Probably has more to do with the FTA - nothing has changed much since last year I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Probably has more to do with the FTA - nothing has changed much since last year I'd say.

It would be interesting to note how much Leinster are paying for the RDS.

I think theres a bit of spin being put out here. Will reserve judgement till i see the actual numbers.

The donnybrook rebuild does seem like a waste though.

Anyway i suspect 2010 will be a bumper year, loads of ST sales, 3 extra sell out home games for magners playoffs and clermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Looking at the contracts for next season it looks like Dom Ryan didnt get one - I assume that means he is off - I thought he showed great potential and would get better with time , he is still on the U 20's and one of the better ones ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

thebaz wrote: »
    Looking at the contracts for next season it looks like Dom Ryan didnt get one - I assume that means he is off - I thought he showed great potential and would get better with time , he is still on the U 20's and one of the better ones ??

Thought he looks extremely limited tbh, he can tackle extremely well but that's where it seems to end. Plus what position is he because he certainly isn't a 7 and Rhys Ruddock would be ahead of him as a prospect for Leinster 6 jersey. Id much prefer if he stayed where he is get time with Leisnter A's and in the AIL and build up his game because at the moment it's extremely limited.

thebaz wrote: »

Wow, surprised at that if it's true...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Stev_o wrote: »
    Plus what position is he because he certainly isn't a 7 and Rhys Ruddock would be ahead of him as a prospect for Leinster 6 jersey.

he's a 7 , played against Edinburgh , thought he did ok ,

Yeah Ryan was unlucky / surprised not to get a contract.

Not sure what the plan is now, another year in Academy maybe? Or look for action elsewhere?

I think he's a fine player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

with regards to lansdowne, if we use it for some matches, would Leinster have to pay rent to the IRFU/FAI or would it be free as they are a part of the former? Also Is the RDS on a rollling charge or does vary by the amount of matches played?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement