Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I have heard Sherrys scrummaging needs work (from a guy who has scrummaged with him no less) and he's beibg held back a bit by it. Exactly like Cronin was.

How many Hookers are picked based on throwing any more? I personally place it quite far down my own preferences.

I still think it's pretty important. Having a good thrower basically means you secure your own lineout all the time. If you've got someone who is poor throwing, you're throwing away good attacking options. Obviously they have to be decent scrummagers and in the loose too.
    bamboozle wrote: »
    i'd tend to agree with the above...lots of talk but no sign of him.

Well he has been injured tbf. I don't want to overhype him but he did look good when he did play. Needs a run of games before anyone can make a proper judgement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

smurphy29 wrote: »
    There's not a lot to base the whole Sherry-love on. He simply hasn't played much rugby. He had 5 starts last season for Munster, and has just recovered from a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Easy on the hype there lads, he's far from even being a Munster starter yet, let alone an Irish international.

He looks a good player from the small amount we've seen of him, but so did Varley - it's a whole different story when you are in the postition of being the starting hooker and your lineout is continually put under pressure.

Sherry is a better prospect than Varley. He is a better around the field and is a ball carrier. Varley in fairness to him has improved in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

smurphy29 wrote: »
    There's not a lot to base the whole Sherry-love on. He simply hasn't played much rugby. He had 5 starts last season for Munster, and has just recovered from a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Easy on the hype there lads, he's far from even being a Munster starter yet, let alone an Irish international.

He looks a good player from the small amount we've seen of him, but so did Varley - it's a whole different story when you are in the postition of being the starting hooker and your lineout is continually put under pressure.

That isn't always a hindrance. He does look the business anytime I've seen him. With Best, Cronin, Strauss and Sherry and a lot of other guys around we have an abundance of good hookers. guys like Varley, Kyriacou, Brady etc and then young up and coming players too like Neil Annett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sherry is fairly dynamic which seems to be about the only thing that catches peoples eye these days. OMFG HE MADE A RUN HE'S AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

There is a rumour on Leinster Fans forum that Thorn is carrying a knee injury.

He hasn't played for a month now and needs another month before he can play for Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I still think it's pretty important. Having a good thrower basically means you secure your own lineout all the time. If you've got someone who is poor throwing, you're throwing away good attacking options. Obviously they have to be decent scrummagers and in the loose too.

Well he has been injured tbf. I don't want to overhype him but he did look good when he did play. Needs a run of games before anyone can make a proper judgement though.

and he was called out to NZ to the world cup when there was worry about Best's fitness going into the qfs. that really interrupted his chance to get gametime this season.

danthefan wrote: »
    Sherry is fairly dynamic which seems to be about the only thing that catches peoples eye these days. OMFG HE MADE A RUN HE'S AWESOME.

he also seems to have the flannery ice in his veins when throwing the ball into the lineout. thats what i find very impressive about him.

I have heard Sherrys scrummaging needs work (from a guy who has scrummaged with him no less) and he's beibg held back a bit by it. Exactly like Cronin was.

How many Hookers are picked based on throwing any more? I personally place it quite far down my own preferences.

Sherry was the Munster hooker for the penalty try against Leinster in the magners final (alongside Hayes & du preez), so his scrummaging couldn't be that poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well a win is a win. I reckon though that Munster are hitting form just at the right time. Things could get very tight by the end of the season given their run in. We really need to win both home games and at least the away game in Newport while picking up bonus points at every opportunity. May need a favour from Connacht or Scarlets....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Glasgow are beating The Ospreys 23-13 with about 25 mins to go. If it stays the same the league could well be between Leinster and Munster. It would also increase Ulster's chances of a top 4 finish.

Our run is now is:
    Ospreys at home (they haven't won in Dublin in over 3 years)
    Munster away
    Edinburgh at home (they haven't won in Dublin in over 3 years)
    Ulster away (we've won in Belfast in 2 of the last 3 years)
    Dragons away

I would be surprised to not get 3 wins if not 4 out of these games.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Glasgow are beating The Ospreys 23-13 with about 25 mins to go. If it stays the same the league could well be between Leinster and Munster. It would also increase Ulster's chances of a top 4 finish.

Yeah saw that. Good news for the 3 provinces really.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Our run is now is:
    Ospreys at home (they haven't won in Dublin in over 3 years)
    Munster away
    Edinburgh at home (they haven't won in Dublin in over 3 years)
    Ulster away
    Dragons away

I would be surprised to not get 4 wins if not 5 out of these games.

Really? Munster and Ulster away are both tough. Watching Ulster here I wouldn't be so sure about that one. We should win 3 but I can't see us winning all 5.

And Ospreys won here 2 years ago....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    Really? Munster and Ulster away are both tough. Watching Ulster here I wouldn't be so sure about that one. We should win 3 but I can't see us winning all 5.

And Ospreys won here 2 years ago....

Oops I thought there were 6 games left, back to the Abacus with me!

I was only considering regular seasons games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 questforfit

jm08 wrote: »
    Sherry was the Munster hooker for the penalty try against Leinster in the magners final (alongside Hayes & du preez), so his scrummaging couldn't be that poor.

Wasn't that the same scrum where Leinster had a third choice front row on, the pack was down to 7 men and Strauss had to scrummage at 7?

Not really something to reference....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

Mike Ross has a dig at DOC..

http://bit.ly/yWjlU7

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ongarite wrote: »
    There is a rumour on Leinster Fans forum that Thorn is carrying a knee injury.

He hasn't played for a month now and needs another month before he can play for Leinster.

:eek:

Wait... What? Why would Leinster sign up a player who is knowingly injured to replace another injured player..? Doesn't make sense. I'd imagine it's a BS rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Part of that might be that Thorn's team actually didn't have a game for the last month....

He's supposed to be playing tomorrow, no? If he plays for them tomorrow certainly he'll be playing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'm thinking the story on LF is bull. A bloke claiming he has been in touch with Japanese papers and knows the doctor associated with the team? Thorn has started every game for them this year aside from one. If he was carrying an injury, they weren't exactly trying to manage it.

GerM wrote: »
    I'm thinking the story on LF is bull. A bloke claiming he has been in touch with Japanese papers and knows the doctor associated with the team? Thorn has started every game for them this year aside from one. If he was carrying an injury, they weren't exactly trying to manage it.

Yeah, and everyone knows there are no Japanese papers. Papers went out of business with the arrival of the Tablet PC in Japan - 25 years ago IIRC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty sure that's the same guy who's been saying for the last 2 months everything that could go wrong will go wrong, claimed the whole deal had fallen through a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

.ak wrote: »
    :eek:
    Wait... What? Why would Leinster sign up a player who is knowingly injured to replace another injured player..? Doesn't make sense. I'd imagine it's a BS rumour.

I saw that post on LF. I wouldn't worry about it.

Internet forums, including rugby forums, are full of people trying to give the impression that they're in the know. How often do you read somebody saying they have inside information "I know a fella in the camp and he told me..."

Most of those type of posts are garbage.

Just read it there. The team are already out of the comp.. why would they force him to play a game tomorrow through an injury and then tell the team they've signed him to not to play him for a month?

LF have a nice little troll on their hands there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Um, we would not sign an injured player and pay for a 3 month holiday. If he comes, he's fit. Medical pending, as with any sport.

.ak wrote: »
    Just read it there. The team are already out of the comp.. why would they force him to play a game tomorrow through an injury and then tell the team they've signed him to not to play him for a month?

LF have a nice little troll on their hands there...

The match this weekend is a relegation play-off, so an important enough match for them.

Leinster wouldn't sign him if he was crocked though.

But they've already been relegated no?

I think they're playing the team that finsihed third in the second division to determine who gets a spot in the Top League next season.

Tried to find more info about the game but it's pretty hard to find any sites that discuss the top league and are easy to navigate! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

So the Indo reports today that Bod's dad reckons the Great One will be back in three or four weeks.

Thomond Park 31st march anyone?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

durkadurka wrote: »
    So the Indo reports today that Bod's dad reckons the Great One will be back in three or four weeks.

Thomond Park 31st march anyone?

Heard that on the radio yesterday and thought exactly the same thing. Would be a brutally physical game to come back from injury in though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

fitz wrote: »
    Heard that on the radio yesterday and thought exactly the same thing. Would be a brutally physical game to come back from injury in though...

No easy ones really. HC QF is too risky, Edinburgh away will be physical, and then its Ulster. Then there is only the Dragons last game.

I think there will be numerous bench cameos, then a start v the Dragons and see how he goes for the playoffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement